Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Coast Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:22 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default West Coast Ride

We are leaving the 30th for a ride down the west coast. Going to go to Seattle, cross to Bremerton and then go around the Olympic Peninsula to Astoria, Or. then down the coast to San Diego.

Any must see advice welcome.

Bill

Old 08-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Sounds l like a great ride. Glad you are going south on the PCH. There are many topics on the PCG, one that is active right now. Check them out. And tell us what you like to do on a long ride, what kinds of places interest you.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:46 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Hey Bill, here's a link for ya that you might find interesting. Years ago I was up in the Bremerton area on a bike trip and some friends of mine took me to Hurricane Ride up in the Olympic National Park area. The view up there was great, here's the link:
Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park, Washington State
www.beautifulpacificnorthwest.com

Old 08-16-2016, 07:43 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Gary,

Thanks for the link. We are looking for anything that is cool, and not necessarily what we normally interested in.

Bill

Old 08-16-2016, 08:06 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

There are about a dozen Light Houses along the Oregon coast that are kind of neat to check out and stretch your legs for an few minutes. It's well worth it to cut over and ride around Crater Lake. The long low bridge spanning the Columbia river coming into Astoria is fun to ride across, and of course the Golden gate bridge. Climb the Coit Tower in SF and check out views.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:16 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,927 Likes on 2,567 Posts
Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Last edited by SPRINGER; 08-16-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: wrong link copied couldn't finish reply,.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:47 PM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just got back from a month long trip part of which was riding the PCH north from Santa Monica. We rode up through San Francisco, through the Redwoods then turned east on Ca. 36. Great ride. When we did it toward the end of July it was cool and foggy most the way. Hopefully you won't have the problem with the fog but it was a great ride nonetheless and when we did see the ocean each glimpse was a post card. I have heard the latter in the year toward the fall you do it the less fog you normally have to deal with so it may not be as bad for you. Also we had to deal with some of the wild fires in California and they closed part of the PCH behind us when we went through. The ride and the road though was great fun and I hope to do it next year in the direction you're doing it which I've always heard is the best....north to south.

We rode through the big tree in the Redwoods and ate at Alice's Restaurant, a pricey cool place and the food was pretty good.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:24 PM
Randy Mac
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

We have our first morning without fog in a couple weeks, but the NW wind is fierce.
Sept/Oct is the best weather for the North Coast.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Mac
We have our first morning without fog in a couple weeks, but the NW wind is fierce.
Sept/Oct is the best weather for the North Coast.
Now why did you go and tell the secret? It's not bad enough with tourists descending on Del Norte County in July and August. Now they know about September/October. Oh, well. I guess the secret had to get out eventually.

Quick Reply: West Coast Ride