Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cali to Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:06 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Cali to Colorado

My cousins and I are riding to Colorado next week. Stopping in LV the first night. Not sure where else we're stopping on the way. Would love some ideas as to where to go and ride, and what to see while we're on our way there and while we're there.
Thanks.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:22 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

In southern Utah, Zion, Bryce, the Escalante Ridge, Capital Reef, Lake Powell, Natural Bridges, Arches, Canyonlands. You will never forget it.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

What part of Colorado? How much time do you have? See Million Dollar Highway between Durango and Ouray, Silver Thread between South Fork and Gunnison, Black Canyon of the Gunnison between Gunnison and Hotchkiss, Grand Mesa from Hotchkiss and Grand Junction. If you go North, then there's Royal Gorge, Mt. Evans, Pikes Peak, Rocky Mountain National Park.

If you can narrow your area and time frame a little, I can give you more specifics. There are so many places to ride in Colorado that it is hard to give advise without more info.

Bill

Old 08-24-2016, 08:24 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Just completed 5000 mile trip which included southern Utah then up to Jackson, WY. Was monsoon season, as the locals call it, don't know when it ends. Had to plan to start at 6am end at 2pm and you don't get wet. Lots of beatiful sights. Hwy 12, Escalante staircase is one of my favorites. stop wherever you feel like it, even small town motels are easily had. Silverton narrow gauge train ride is is worth doing if you are going to the million dollar highway. Be safe and have fun.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Billman812
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

As others... any where in southern Ut is great riding! All of the parks and scenic byways.
As far as Vegas, not much for many as it is desert but I like Valley of Fire, Red Rock and Lakeside road from Boulder City to Overton on the way north.
We've done trips to/from Sonora & Calaveras dozens of times and here is my route for enjoying (not the fastest though):
108 to 395 S. to 120 E. (Lee Vining) to Benton (Left) on 6 E. to 264 S. veer left on 266 E. which dumps you onto 95, take a right (S) into LV.

Enjoy

Old 08-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Jimmyd_1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a fan of the Utah part that isn't a stinkin' desert. I spent a couple of days around Moab a few years ago it was 114 degrees. my nose bled for a couple of days. I had Utah removed from my list, until, I saw Bryce Canyon, Zion and so many other awesome places. Bonneville Salt Flats was pretty cool too. they weren't racing but I could feel the energy from the history there. We rented a vacation home in Breckenridge and did day rides from there (also a few years ago) we split the house 4 ways and I was only out $400 for a week in the lap of luxury. (gypsy's in the palace) rocky Mt National Park, Mt Evans, Pikes Peak, Loveland Pass etc...
iut has been my experience that the biggest decisions we have to make on road trips is what we're going to miss!

Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Avoid Vegas and go thru Bishop CA to Tonopah NV then Ely NV then plan to the CO depends which part you are going to.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Avoid Vegas and go thru Bishop CA to Tonopah NV then Ely NV then plan to the CO depends which part you are going to.
If you take that route, make sure to fill up with gas in Tonopah. Ely, the next place you can get gas is 165 miles away.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:54 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you go thru Vegas, avoid the 2 lane road that skirts Lake Powell unless you have a Nat'l Park pass. Lake Powell is very low and everything around the lake was closed in late July when we came thru. I do recommend seeing Valley of Fire park.
Hopefully it has cooled down, around Vegas was just too Hot for us.
Hwy 50 across NV is called " Americas Loneliest hwy" but it is a nice ride - fill your fuel tank when possible.
Southern Utah is great Zion, Bryce, Hwy 12 to Torrey then hwy 95 thru Capital Reef NP is Highly recommended. The westen side of Colorado is just Awesome to ride. Just pick the roads with a PASS listed. Ride Safe!

Last edited by Mikey 1450; 08-28-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Snow fell above 12,000' in most of the high country earlier this week. Its more than likely melted off roads by now and you should be okay but bring some warm gloves and thermal underwear. Expect it to be in mid-50's at higher elevations, with the wind chill on your bike dropping into the 40's. IMO, this is still the best time to ride in Colorado, as long as you layer your clothing properly. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Cali to Colorado