Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

campground price?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 06:16 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts
Default campground price?

looking at a couple of road trip options. West, southern CO or east Tenn/NC area. Looking for info on campground prices. Along the way as much as at the mentioned destinations. Commercial spots, koa, state parks? need a budget idea.
thanks!!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:14 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by road king Q
looking at a couple of road trip options. West, southern CO or east Tenn/NC area. Looking for info on campground prices. Along the way as much as at the mentioned destinations. Commercial spots, koa, state parks? need a budget idea.
thanks!!
My experience is that campgrounds can vary a fare amount in price based on locations and types of amenities provided. Some have tent specific areas that cost less than RV spots, other campgrounds have the same price no matter if its a tent or RV as there are no tent specific areas. If elec and/or water is available will have an effect on price. My experience over the years has been that KOA spots are usually priced higher than state parks.

My guess is that there will not be a lot of difference in the price between NC/TN and CO or not enough that it would impact your decision as to which direction to go.

Here is a general idea for NC/TN
https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvis...ry-camping.htm

That is the website for national park camping in the Smokey Mt looks like prices run $14-20 not tent specific all are RV pads

Example of a KOA this one in Cherokee NC. Looks like they have tent and RV specific spots. Tent spots for a mid week stay in Sept is about $25 obviously RV spots will be a little higher based on the type of hook ups and length
http://koa.com/campgrounds/cherokee/

My guess is you can pull up similar info for what ever area of CO you are considering.

If I had to guess Id say that if you are tent camping you could budget $25-$30 a night no matter the location and that would be on the high side. Actual cost could be as much as half that but I was budgeting it I would rather budget on the high side and its just more spending $$ when the cost comes out less.

If you are looking at RV spots its harder to guess I have paid $30 a night for a spot that will accompany a 35' RV with 50 Amp hook ups and I have paid $60 a night

Last edited by Mxdad; 08-31-2016 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
road king Q (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:53 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

When touring in the US I like the convenience of KOA camp grounds and normally pay $30 per night. They are clean, have WIFI and are normally close to places to eat. Since I don't do much planning I can find a camp site using the iPhone app once I decide where I want to stop.

Allstays Camp & RV is also handy to have on the smart phone to find sites. It would be better if it listed the camp site prices on more of the sites.

road king Q (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 12:36 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

When I hunt campsites I go on google maps. Search campsites in the area I want to stay. You can easily click on each campsite and then easily access their website for amenities and prices from there. Hit the back arrow and you're back to the map to check another site

road king Q (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 12:37 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I do the same thing to find restraunts etc in the area

Old 08-31-2016, 02:21 PM
HDriderDave1
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Camping has never been an issue for us. There are plenty of places to lay your head and most affordable. If you feel its to much, just drink one less beer

Last edited by HDriderDave1; 08-31-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:25 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 803 Posts

Regarding commercial campgrounds: In my experience, KOA's cost a little more, but are generally cleaner than the others. A bit more free of low-life types as well. On the other hand, I've met some really interesting people at non-KOA's.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:59 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Most of the state parks in Tn will run $20-25 a night for an RV site with power, water, and sewer at many. There are a few tent camp only places but for the price just get an RV site. Everyone I have used had extremely nice bath houses also.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:42 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
When touring in the US I like the convenience of KOA camp grounds and normally pay $30 per night. They are clean, have WIFI and are normally close to places to eat. Since I don't do much planning I can find a camp site using the iPhone app once I decide where I want to stop.

Allstays Camp & RV is also handy to have on the smart phone to find sites. It would be better if it listed the camp site prices on more of the sites.
I downloaded this ap before my last road trip and it was great!!! It was one of the most useful things I had with me. It will give you every bit of needed information about every possible camp site nationwide. Prices/pics/phone numbers/types of spots etc.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:57 AM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Wife and I travel quite a bit in the RV and our default is always KOA if available. As others have said you pay a little more but they are usually clean, have good to excellent amenities and decent people working and staying there. State Parks that have campsites available are definitely cheaper but amenities are often sparse at best. Specifically in our area we occasionally get away for a long weekend at the Cherokee KOA and it's a great location. Very nice amenities, pool, food, wi-fi (spotty if really full but that's true anywhere), very clean. It's also a great starting point for some terrific riding, BRP, Smokey Mountain NP, Dragon, Cherahola etc. etc.