Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Booking motels on trip & local intel

Old 09-04-2016, 12:08 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Booking motels on trip & local intel

When we travel, number 1 priority is to avoid major centers; did 3000 miles, 4 NW states last summer and largest center seen was Missoula.
Having said that; I like to book the night before from wherever we are and always thru the front desk of where we are headed. I find I can often get interesting intel from people who are where I am headed as opposed to a flat screen or a call center in Mumbai. What do the rest of you usually do? Am I missing an important point here? I will check Trip Adviser for reviews/local attractions and Yelp for restaurants...but like to talk to on scene locals for up to date info and opinion. (call after supper when most check in's are over with and front desk not too busy) Diverted once because of a huge "craft fair"; came in early once for a huge car show...

Old 09-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Mostly I stay at Best Western motels. Whether I make a reservation ahead of time depends on where we are going and the likely hood we will be shut out if we wait until the last minute. I use all the possibilities, online, in person and on the phone. I also avoid major urban areas.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:54 PM
DevilSperm
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I usually use a booking app. You can sometimes get good deals on rooms the night of that haven't sold yet.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:29 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

I always use the hotel's website (marriott.com, choicehotels.com, etc), after researching online via Google and Google maps.

As a general rule, I NEVER book a hotel (or buy a plane ticket, or spend money in any other way) through a person over the phone.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

I book a room when I get to where I want to stop. Trivago price shops the major booking apps and usually finds the best deal.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:03 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

i ride till it starts to get dark then find a hotel /motel never had in issue finding a room . if i am on the back roads i usually ask a cop never in 40 years did i have a problem

Old 09-05-2016, 06:06 AM
LDB187
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Used a booking site once to stay at a Hampton Inn in Charleston. When I checked in the room was so small I wouldn't have even got all my gear in. After a long discussion with the hotel manager I finally got a decent ground floor room. He told me they make money off those sites by selling the worst rooms they have to them. I never know exactly where I'm going to stop for the night so I just stop where ever or when ever its time. Usually a Hampton Inn. Love the sweets and free breakfast.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB187
He told me they make money off those sites by selling the worst rooms they have to them
When I used to travel for business the owners had us use priceline all the time to save money, Room were always by the elevator or were HC rooms...

Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If I'm Traveling far and I assume I'll stop in that state, I stop at the visitor center and grab a coupon book. They tell You what exit which hotels are at and give coupons. That is only when I'm on the Interstate making time. If I'm off magor roads I use My GPS and it will tell Me What Hotels are close. It also Gives Me the Ph No. I belong to a few clubs, Choice Hotels, etc, so I usually pick them first. I never book ahead. When I did I always found a reason to not go there!

Old 09-05-2016, 09:03 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

No Best Western in Republic WA...or many of the tiny bergs we stop at.
In June we flew to Newfoundland to check it out; in conversation with the widow running the B&B we stayed at I found out the pimping fee for on-line bookers, is 15%...Wow!
Tolerable for corporate chains but quite a bite for a solo act...we enjoyed a cash discount
We had planned to fly to Whitehorse; in conversation with the front desk guy found out there would be a major softball tournament in town and would be no rental cars available.
As well, our planned highlight activity, hiking into the Mendenhall glacier, was better at another time of the year...he had done it. That's good intell for my travel plans. Now a next year to-do
So much out there; how to maximize the experience...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Booking motels on trip & local intel