Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

Harley sells some nice rain gear. That is what I use.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:45 PM
eichacsj
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I ride in the rain, don't like it either. If I could just get those pesky riding glass wipers to work right :-)

Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Many years ago I was riding my 750 Honda with my wife on the back heading for the Skyline Drive to spend the night. Money was tight back then and we had no rain gear. Got caught in a downpour so heavy the trucks were parking on the shoulder of the road to wait it out. With our camping gear wet, since we only had it in a plastic garbage bag, we turned around and headed home. I slowed down to about 30 mph but kept riding since we were already soaked to the skin. I was wearing western boots and had to lift my feet every 4-5 miles to dump the water out of my boots. This was many years before you could pull up the weather on a computer. Now I check the forecast in the cities I'm going to be traveling in, and have good raingear. Rode 3000 miles in June to Arkansas and in all that distance only rode 30 miles in the light rain. I always have my rain gear with me.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:08 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

When your only transportation is a bike you ride in rain, sleet, snow and bitter bitter cold.

Can't see? Get a helmet with a pnlock insert for the visor.

It only takes a few minor adjustments to ride in the rain almost as fast as you can when its dry.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:44 AM
BigMike17
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah, the rain sucks especially at night. If it's bad enough I usually just pull over at a safe spot until things lighten up.

Reminds of a guy I saw at a gas station years ago...he was admiring my bike and asking me some questions until this zinger came out, "What do you do when it rains?" My response, "Get wet." And that was the end of the conversation -

Old 09-08-2016, 09:24 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
When your only transportation is a bike you ride in rain, sleet, snow and bitter bitter cold.

Can't see? Get a helmet with a pnlock insert for the visor.

It only takes a few minor adjustments to ride in the rain almost as fast as you can when its dry.
Been There, Done That. I'm old now and choose to wait it out or avoid it altogether.

The following users liked this post:
WRE4U (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:34 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by rydeer
Been There, Done That. I'm old now and choose to wait it out or avoid it altogether.
Now that I'm older and own vehicles other than a bike yeah if it's going to storm I take the truck to work, but if I am on vacation and it starts raining, or it's raining when I go to leave I don't let that stop me. I ride through it all the time. People who are afraid of it need to watch some MotoGP "wet" races.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:27 AM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMike17
Yeah, the rain sucks especially at night. If it's bad enough I usually just pull over at a safe spot until things lighten up.

Reminds of a guy I saw at a gas station years ago...he was admiring my bike and asking me some questions until this zinger came out, "What do you do when it rains?" My response, "Get wet." And that was the end of the conversation -
I live in East Tennessee near the Smokey Mountains and BRP. Riding in the mountains in the summer means you will encounter rain. On some of the hot days this summer is was almost a blessing to hit a little rain. Still when the rain first starts I tense up and hold on too tight. I know better but still do it for the first 5-10 minutes until I reset my confidence, then I plow on. When it rains cats and dogs and visibility becomes an issue I try to follow a car with bright tail lights at a safe distance. I can ride in their tracks lessening the chance of hydroplaning and also that keeps me from coming up on a car too fast that has no or weak tail lights.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:08 PM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I put on the rain gear. I take it down a gear, don't follow to close, look for puddles and don't jam on the breaks.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:39 PM
flyingdutchman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being able to see the road, and other things (vehicles crossing from the side, animals), is of utmost importance, to overstate the obvious. I've ridden in a lot of rain, most of the time it's not horrible. Good raingear helps comfort. I don't have a helmet with a visor, only glasses, which sucks. A couple of friends have three-quarter helmets with visors, and use Rain-X or similar. They swear by it. I've ridden a few trips on highways where if a truck passes you, you don't see anything. Say there's a piece of tire shrapnel or 2x4 in the road......

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain