Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Another Colorado Trip in the books

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 10:28 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Loved staying Ouray. We ate at the brewery and it was good

Old 10-14-2016, 11:10 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davey019
Loved staying Ouray. We ate at the brewery and it was good
I agree. I've stayed in several places in Colorado, but Ouray is my favorite. I've eaten at the brewery several times and it's always good.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:13 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Day 10, Ouray to Amarillo - 549 Miles

Today starts our ride home. It was a misty, cold morning and rained off and on for the first 75 miles or so. It was clear by the time we got to Gunnison where we had a cup of coffee to warm up. I'm trying something different with today's post. I'm not resizing the photos myself, but letting the forum software do it, so they're substantially larger for this post.

Here's the route for the day.

I've already backed out and waiting for Mark's bike to warm up. We left Ouray around 8:00AM. We would have left earlier, but it was too cold and misty.

Headed north on Main St. in Ouray. The rain started just north of Ridgway and lasted past Blue Mesa Reservoir.

This is headed east on Hwy 50 before the lake. It never rained hard, but just enough to keep the road wet.

Somewhere before Blue Mesa lake.

This is on Hwy 50 after going through Salida following the Arkansas River.

Well we're out of the mountains now. This is on Hwy 69 headed south toward Walsenburg.

A few more mountains here where we're about to go over Raton Pass.

Goodbye, Colorado we're entering New Mexico now.

I didn't take many pictures today. It's never much fun on the way home. This is the last photo of the day entering Texas.

It's about another 125 miles from the Texas/New Mexico border to our hotel in Amarillo. We were ready to get that over with. It's not very scenic in west Texas. Tomorrow we'll get home after the 350 mile ride from Amarillo (the most boring section).

To be continued...

The following users liked this post:
jeffro09 (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:25 AM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Great write up.

A buddy and I rode out to Ouray this summer as well. We did the San Juan Loop, which was just awesome. I've been out there in my Jeep as well, which does give you a totally different perspective than a bike.

Me (R) and my buddy (L) on our way to Telluride from Cortez.

Me and my Jeep on Imogene.

I can't wait to get back out there. I need to take the wife out there with me.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:39 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jeffro09
Great write up.

A buddy and I rode out to Ouray this summer as well. We did the San Juan Loop, which was just awesome. I've been out there in my Jeep as well, which does give you a totally different perspective than a bike.

I can't wait to get back out there. I need to take the wife out there with me.
It is some gorgeous country. I must have been up there 10-12 times, but I never get tired of it. We trying to plan a trip east, but when it gets down to it, we'll still be very tempted to go west again.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:13 AM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by robertwy
It is some gorgeous country. I must have been up there 10-12 times, but I never get tired of it. We trying to plan a trip east, but when it gets down to it, we'll still be very tempted to go west again.
I've been out west, through the Rockies, probably 20 times or more in my lifetime, but only once on a bike. The bike is by far the best way to go, and I will go again, and again.

Safe travels.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:14 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Day 11, Amarillo to Home - 351 Miles

This is the final day of the trip. The most boring ride in the world. 351 miles of nothing. Not many pics today for obvious reasons.

Here's the boring route.

It was an unusual morning for Texas in the summer. It was very foggy and misty. There was one point of about 5 miles between Amarillo and Claude that we slowed to less than 30mph because we couldn't see. I was behind Mark but couldn't see his lights. I would speed up a little to see him and he would suddenly appear. I might only be 5 bike lengths behind him but couldn't see him. It lasted about 75 miles before it cleared.

Once it cleared there was just a whole lot of nothing. I still have moisture on my camera lens here.

The Fort Worth water tower in site. Only about 25 more miles to home.

The trip is over which is always sad, but it's good to be home. Overall this was a great trip. We typically ride somewhere new every day, but on this one we had two stops where we stayed for 3 days each. It's nice not to have to repack every day, but it's also fun to see something new every day. I don't know which way I like best. So that's it, I'll do another next year.

The following users liked this post:
jeffro09 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 AM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member

Great report. Glad it you made it home safe.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:03 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Robert...isn't your bike a '12 Limited? Your CEL coming on and your volt meter dropping reminds me of the voltage regulator campaign Harley did on a bunch of 2012 FL's. Harley's supplier shipped a bunch of bad regulators and dealers had to swap them out for new ones under warranty. Hope yours holds up, but I guess we'll find out in later posts. Always enjoy your trip reports.
Got my bike out of service last week. It was the regulator. They had replaced it right before I bought it because it was a factory recall. The service writer said the replacement must have been bad also, so they replaced it again. So far it seems to be OK.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:37 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Great trip, enjoyed the pics and summaries. Thank you for sharing.

Quick Reply: Another Colorado Trip in the books