Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Michigan to Maine trip in the planning.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Michigan to Maine trip in the planning.

In the beginning stage of planning a trip from U.P. of Michigan to Maine next June, specifically Bar Habor. Trying to stay out of the larger urban area as much as possible on two lane roads. May hit Laconia on the return, but I'm open to advice/suggestions. Anyone have experience on US-2 from NY to Maine?

Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would consider traveling south along the eastern coast of Lake Michigan to route 20 in Ohio. East on 20 thru Ohio to route 6 in PA. 6 is a great route with lots to see. Rt. 2 would take you across Ohio thru some of the most populous areas, namely Cleveland.

Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts
Unhappy

We crossed NH on 112. Great roads and not too busy. Lot of the rural roads we hit west NH and Vermont were not in top shape, but some excellent hills and scenery! Kancamagus hwy was pretty good. Many small towns full of 200 year old houses and buildings...cool.

Hwy 1 in Maine follows the coast. We home based just north of Portland...Freeport. Booth bay, Camden Lockport, lot of little towns between, any point on the coast were great, boats, old homes, historic sites. Towns along hwy 1 do get congested traffic at times. We hit a 30 minute creep through Bath one afternoon, 5ish. Pemaquid point has a small light house you can climb to the top. We did not make Acadia/bar harbor

Old 10-06-2016, 10:36 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,886 Likes on 2,546 Posts

For me, I would go through Canada, but maybe just because I haven't, it jumps out at me on the map. UP to Montreal then down into Vermont to Maine. Just a thought. Ohio, Illinois and Indiana are no fun for my money, at least on the super slab for sure. If you do go that way, stop and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Check out Booth Bay Harbor in Maine, less people but same vibe as Bar Harbor. We liked it so much we stayed an extra day. Take the day trip to Cabbage Island for the lobster bake, you will not regret it.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:08 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,981 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Are you thinking rt 20 thru NY then 2 thru VT-NH-MAine----that is not a bad rt at all .

We do that once year. Rocker

Old 10-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

We have done the trip a couple of times. Riding through Canada is a option but just a word of caution. Do not venture as far as Montreal in Quebec. They will run you off the road there just as soon as look at you. Crossing at Cornwall Ontario is a choice, then straight south to Plattsburgh, New York. Take the ferry across Lake Champlain and then through Vermont and New Hampshire. (Thru White Mountains via Hwy 112) You could also cross at Niagara and see the Falls or at Buffalo. New York state has some great riding too. Sorry have never rode Hwy 2 out that way.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 08:06 AM
smithmx47
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Scorpio. We just got back from Montreal, city is beautiful but not a place for riding. I'm from Cape Cod all of New England is great ! Can't go wrong riding through upstate New York (Adirondacks) Vermont and New Hampshire (White Mountains RT 302 RT 118, Kangamangus Rt 112 both sides Also if your heading to Laconica ck out The Bass Hole pub on Squam lake (it's were On Golden Pond was filmed) Food and scenery is fantastic.About 15minutes from Laconia Harley. If you going to Bar Harbor take in Acadia national park. Don't forget to get Seafood its the best in the world Enjoy your trip.

Scorpio09SG (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 289 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are probably going to travel on 17 E bypassing Ottawa and crossing the border at Cornwall. I'll have to check out the Ferry ride you refer to Scorpio and some of the roads smithmx47 lists. Agreed on Acadia Park as being a must ride and Booth Bay sounds interesting also road king Q.

Scorpio09SG (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Scorpio09SG
Road Captain
Received 410 Likes on 231 Posts

Awesome glad to help out and thanks to smithmx47. Have travelled to Cape Cod. The coast in absolutely beautiful to ride. Hope to come back someday soon.
Ride safe Luke-a-tick and enjoy the trip. Anything else I can help with please feel free!
Cheers, Terry

Old 10-07-2016, 08:07 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,322 Likes on 10,699 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpio09SG
We have done the trip a couple of times. Riding through Canada is a option but just a word of caution. Do not venture as far as Montreal in Quebec. They will run you off the road there just as soon as look at you. Crossing at Cornwall Ontario is a choice, then straight south to Plattsburgh, New York. Take the ferry across Lake Champlain and then through Vermont and New Hampshire. (Thru White Mountains via Hwy 112) You could also cross at Niagara and see the Falls or at Buffalo. New York state has some great riding too. Sorry have never rode Hwy 2 out that way.
The above is pretty good. Look closely at it.

If u can do any small town riding in VT while u r there, it is worth it. It is like going back in time.

NH to ME route 302 is really nice. Especially in the Bretton Woods Mt Washington Hotel area. WOW!

BuzzCap7

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michigan to Maine trip in the planning.