Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

3% er

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 07:52 PM
burntsaw
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3% er

If your a hearty individual and looking for beautiful ride...i say that's about about 3 % of the cycle world maybe that can stand a little cold weather...so if your so inclined...I recommend next october....
I just returned today from a trip to VT,NH and ME.It was perfect for foliage.We followed the Yellow outlined roads in the HOG Map book...The farther north the better the colors.We settled in at Brattleboro VT on thursday night.
Friday,Headed North on Route 30 then to 100.Went about 1/3 the way up and crossed over into NH where we stayed the night.
Saturday we toured the Kancamagus HWY.It was perfect.Except all the cars stopping for overlooks.Traveled down to Rochester Harley because my friends Street Glide dash board lights went out but returned to normal long before we got there. Then headed over to Kittery trading post in ME.for a look around.{guns-bows-all outdoor gear-clothing ect.} Stayed the night in Salem NH.
Sunday morning returned to RI.
I have to say it was really cold on Sat morning,20* i think it was.We waited until about 9:00 to head out for breakfast.Bundle up! Double gloves and socks a must.I wore 5 layers on top and 4 layers on my legs.I was actually ok all day.All batteries initially struggled a tad to crank over tho...not being garaged.
The only thing that went wrong was my shifting linkage bolt loosened and fell out at the back of the linkage.I found myself at the end of a hwy ramp in a busy intersection stuck in 3 rd gear.I managed to get across the street and pull into a break down lane about the width of my bike where i reattached the bolt.I was somewhat surprised that 7 bikes traveling together passed right by me and didn't even stop...So much for the Brotherhood.I was alone at that point because one of the guys wives who was directly behind me on the hwy,got nervous because her fuel light came on and decided to suddenly and dangerously take an exit without me.Separating me and them. I was going to take the next exit anyway.Yup,She is a newbie.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:23 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

When I lived in New York, October was never a problem. Very pleasant for riding. It was always January that was the big problem. I could put up with a lot, but not January. Riding a bike through New England during the foliage season means one is very fortunate. I remember it well.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:23 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts
Old 10-21-2016, 08:34 PM
burntsaw
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm.Im still carrying a flip phone.Maybe next time ill get pics.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:35 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by burntsaw
Hmmm.Im still carrying a flip phone.Maybe next time ill get pics.
I do a lot of touring and I no longer take many pics of my rides. Same for my riding buddies. On a long, multi day ride there will be one time when we take pics of us as a group in front of some scenic place. And that's it. I don't need another pic of Yellowstone, Sturgis or the California Coast. I have those places burned into my memories. I have a more relaxed and enjoyable time when I don't have to think about pics. Up to about five years ago, I was a avid photographer, even long before digital. But now it is more about experiencing the ride rather then recording the rides. YMMV.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:00 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
I do a lot of touring and I no longer take many pics of my rides. Same for my riding buddies. On a long, multi day ride there will be one time when we take pics of us as a group in front of some scenic place. And that's it. I don't need another pic of Yellowstone, Sturgis or the California Coast. I have those places burned into my memories. I have a more relaxed and enjoyable time when I don't have to think about pics. Up to about five years ago, I was a avid photographer, even long before digital. But now it is more about experiencing the ride rather then recording the rides. YMMV.
It's the journey not the destination..

Old 10-22-2016, 09:31 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Sounds like you ride with ******** find new friends. I ride all your long, live in Pa. MC club I belong to every Saturday is frosted Nuts ride, then a group of old timers ages to 90 years old we ride every Tuesday all year long as long as no ice or snow. Heated gear works for me just a heated jacket long johns, I have heated hand grips.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:02 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by touchdown
Sounds like you ride with ******** find new friends. I ride all your long, live in Pa. MC club I belong to every Saturday is frosted Nuts ride, then a group of old timers ages to 90 years old we ride every Tuesday all year long as long as no ice or snow. Heated gear works for me just a heated jacket long johns, I have heated hand grips.
Since you don't make it clear, I'm curious as to which one of us you think rides with ******** and needs new friends?

Old 10-24-2016, 06:29 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Psycle
Since you don't make it clear, I'm curious as to which one of us you think rides with ******** and needs new friends?
The bikes who passed him as he was broke down.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by touchdown
The bikes who passed him as he was broke down.
I understood it that those were a group of seven bikers he did not know and not his friends. I think that is where the confusion lies.