Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Route 66 input

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:51 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Still looking for feedback on one of my original questions .........

How well posted is the route, assuming I want to ride as much of the original road as possible ?

When I look at online maps, it looks like a lot of the original route is available as 2-lane roads. But I agree, much is now interstate (44, 40, etc).

The route was pretty well labelled in AZ ............ so wondering about Ill, MO, OK, TX, and NM - good signage ? Or plot a huge, turn-by-turn route for my GPS ?

(I am not going any further west than Albuquerque on this trip.)

Old 11-16-2016, 09:14 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

More info here: http://digitalroute66.blogspot.com/

On the right sidebar are links to state specific sections.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:31 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I have driven AZ on Route 66 and like you want to do the whole route someday. There are some great Route 66 websites. Also I bought a few books off Amazon. I have made a list of everything I want to see in each state and which "must stay" hotels I want to stay at.

I bought a set of maps called Here It Is. Each state on Rt. 66 has its own map. It has all the sights with what exit to get off of for each place. The Arizona one was super helpful, I found everything I wanted to see very easily. Sounds like it will be a great trip. Every state has things to see in them, don't discount the more midwestern states. Illinois has quite a few landmarks once you're south of Chicago. They all do.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Poopypants
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did it last year. I would suggest you add at least 1 week to your trip. There is so much to take in. AAA put out a map this year for the 90th birthday of Route 66.

https://roadtrippers.com/trips/10296177

Old 12-05-2016, 12:34 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I rode it in 2012, I even did a trip report. Since then it has become a routine run for me and can probably tell you the gas brands at the exits east of Tulsa. Most of the time I stick to the interstate but I get off and try and find the orginal bits. I'll dash your dream of signage, they are put up by the chambers of commerce and always direct you into town, must have run out of money.

I don't think you need a book, but vet what you read. Someone once posted incorrectly about how little 66 as left in Illinois, most il towns have multiple 66 routings to pick from. I don't see why you would need more than a week. There are long stretches of nothing but road and horizon. Some things are just gone, an example is the Pig Hip in Broadwell - burned down nothing there but a rock.

If you decide to start at Jackson and take 66 out of Chicago, that is going to be a good part of a day. Springfield has lincolns home and the Dana Thomas house but they are 66 related. Further south in Litchfield make sure to eat at the Ariston diner, a 66 time capsule still run by the same family. Stay on old pavement all the way from there to the west side of St. Louis, but stop and have a concrete. Next snack is Ruby's and then good food and refreshing adult beverages at the Elbow Inn. Sounds like a fun trip.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...ll-2012-a.html

Old 12-08-2016, 09:10 PM
mcouture
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

We rode the whole route from Cali to Chicago this May/June. We didn't follow it totally from Cali to NV as there were other things we wanted to see but....

Don't worry about mapping turn by turn. What I did was list all the points of interest I wanted to see and put it in my contact list in my iPhone, which is sync'ed with my bike's GPS. In the morning I would call up one of my items in my contact list and route to it or I would route to our next hotel...

The RT 66 signage in the mid-states I found was wonderful - it did get sketchy in IL

Old 12-09-2016, 03:33 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Seaba Station between Tulsa and OK City in Ok needs to be a mandatory stop.it is an old gas station full of car and motorcycle memorabilia...
there is some cool stuff in Missouri as well.
I have been on pieces and parts of it in every state at one time or another. Looking to make a complete ride of it eventually.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:22 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

My initial plan is to ride as much of the original road as possible, only taking interstate where needed (or if I tire of the 2-lane roads eventually). I purchased a book titled EZ 66 Guide for Travellers, which should contain turn-by-turn info.

I hope to get from Chicago to Albuquerque in about 7 days ............. (1400 miles or so) in May.

I plan on using a good portion of the winter plotting as much of the route, attractions, etc into my GPS (via TYRE). (Yes, I know the way point limit !!! Will break into multiple routes.)

Old 12-16-2016, 08:59 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
Adding Palo Duro Canyon - thanks!
If you're going to Palo Duro think about heading north into the Oklahoma panhandle.
There's a small area called Blask Mesa State Park........
It's a paradise in the middle of nowhere....
Green grass, petrified forest, trout fishing, etc.
Be prepared......bring everything you need for the night.
The towns roll up the streets early in the surrounding area.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Hey Dh_Meyer, I found your post while looking for information on Route 66. I live in Chicago and my whole life I have heard of route 66 and have probably walked, ridden or driven parts of it as I commute around Chicago. Now that I have a Harley I thought it would be fun to ride the famous route 66.

I can tell you that in the Chicago area there is very little to non-existent signage for route 66. Some local communities do put a marker here and there but that's about it. In addition, there are pre-1940 and post 1940 routes in Illinois as well as alternate routes since the old road has been closed or built over with factories, housing. So you may want to decide which of the two routes you want to follow.

As far as old attractions, there are very few left. Most has been redeveloped with newer buildings and businesses. Also, part of Route 66 in Illinois was used for I-55 so you will be on the highway for a portion of the trip following route 66.

I am planning to spend a weekend this summer (2017) riding it from its starting point through Illinois and hope to eventually do the entire route, state by state.

Quick Reply: Route 66 input