Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

alaska summer or 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:37 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Rathgar
...We camped most of the time except the time we stayed in Anchorage...
Ok, serious question. I've thought about this, and I've been warned about this by Alaska natives and others that have made the trek: There are animals up there, some of them big, some of them with teeth, and many of them hungry.

How, exactly, do you deal with the chance that you might wake up while being eaten? Is the chance of this happening really low, or do all of us snowflakes just need to suck it up and be real bikers?

Just curious.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:39 AM
J.Tours
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by idahohacker
one of my regular riding buddies used to live in alaska. I asked him if doing the alcan on a touring bike was possible.

Him: "sure. Of course, you'll have to sell it when you're done."
hahaha.

I have a buddy that sold his Heritage when he got back. I'm a big advocate of taping the sh#t out of the bike and hoping for the best.

Last edited by J.Tours; 11-22-2016 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IdahoHacker (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 01:22 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Ok, serious question. I've thought about this, and I've been warned about this by Alaska natives and others that have made the trek: There are animals up there, some of them big, some of them with teeth, and many of them hungry.

How, exactly, do you deal with the chance that you might wake up while being eaten? Is the chance of this happening really low, or do all of us snowflakes just need to suck it up and be real bikers?

Just curious.
Yep, the got critters up that way!

When we went through B.C. we stopped one morning for an early lunch as we had a long ride ahead of us that day. There was a backpacker there that currently lived in northeastern Canada but was a native of the "territories" and was making a vacation of his trek to visit his folks.
When we arrived at the restaurant this guy was hanging around near the restaurant and when we started talking to him we discovered that he had pitched his tent outside of the campground (to save money) and a bear had basically attacked his tent with him inside.
He was uninjured but a bit shaken up but in good spirits.
He assumed that the bear must have smelled food (all he had was MRE's) and had tried to get to it.
He was in his underwear, in a sleeping bag when the attack started and all he had to protect himself with as a meat "tenderizing" mallet. He said he hit the bear on top of the head with it and he was waiting for the authorities to arrive as they seemed more concerned about the bear than they were about him!

IF, you decide to camp, be sure that you do it in a busy campground and they usually have info on bears if they've been having bear visits.
Also be sure store any food outside of your tent as instructed by the campground or the authorities.
You may want to invest in some (legal) bear mace and have some type of (again legal) means of defense.

We encountered a few black bears along the road but they didn't pose any problems, just crossing.

IdahoHacker (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 11:21 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Yep, the got critters up that way!

When we went through B.C. we stopped one morning for an early lunch as we had a long ride ahead of us that day. There was a backpacker there that currently lived in northeastern Canada but was a native of the "territories" and was making a vacation of his trek to visit his folks.
When we arrived at the restaurant this guy was hanging around near the restaurant and when we started talking to him we discovered that he had pitched his tent outside of the campground (to save money) and a bear had basically attacked his tent with him inside.
He was uninjured but a bit shaken up but in good spirits.
He assumed that the bear must have smelled food (all he had was MRE's) and had tried to get to it.
He was in his underwear, in a sleeping bag when the attack started and all he had to protect himself with as a meat "tenderizing" mallet. He said he hit the bear on top of the head with it and he was waiting for the authorities to arrive as they seemed more concerned about the bear than they were about him!

IF, you decide to camp, be sure that you do it in a busy campground and they usually have info on bears if they've been having bear visits.
Also be sure store any food outside of your tent as instructed by the campground or the authorities.
You may want to invest in some (legal) bear mace and have some type of (again legal) means of defense.

We encountered a few black bears along the road but they didn't pose any problems, just crossing.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm guessing that being in the middle of a crowd, or at least a small group, would be your best option.

And the bear spray.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:34 AM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

rode up into Dawson City Yukon last June, tented 8 of the 10 nights and had no issues with bears or any other critters. only thing we saw near our tents was this guy in Liard River.

we all had bear scares and bear spray, saw lots of bears along the way and none of them had any interest in us.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:31 PM
Jeff99705
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I lived in AK for 29 years, have ridden my bike over the Alcan and Cassiar highways a couple times, have driven them in my van many times. No need to carry extra gas, just fill up when you can, try to keep a minimum of half tank. If you feel like you need to carry fuel, 2 liter coke bottles work great, might want to wrap it in a towel if it's near something that could rub through the plastic. If you decide to ride to Deadhorse bring gas. It's 242 miles from Cold Foot to Deadhorse. I've camped along side the highway and haven't had trouble with bears, have seen many of them though, have almost hit a couple with the bike. There are a lot of bison near Liard Hot Springs. If you have food along keep it away from the tent and out of the bike. You can put it in a cloth bag, throw a line over a tree branch and haul it up out of reach of the bears. Customs might give you a hassle about bear spray but it can be purchased in Canada. Might be a good idea to carry a tire patch kit and small 12v inflator, or run Ride On goop in your tires. If you decide to take the AK Marine Ferry and don't want or can't get a cabin, bring along duct tape to secure your tent to the back deck. I carry ratchet straps along in case the bike breaks down and has to be hauled. There are a few metal grate bridges to cross, the bike will feel unstable crossing them but keep your speed constant and you'll be fine. If you end up riding dirt roads, keep your speed down. The road surface can change from great to greasy clay in an instant. Slow is the way to go on dirt up there. The worst part of the Alcan is the last hundred miles or so to the AK border. Lots of dips and frost heaves. Enjoy your trip, it'll be the adventure of a lifetime.

Last edited by Jeff99705; 01-12-2017 at 07:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff99705:
IdahoHacker (12-01-2016), J.Tours (12-02-2016), TwiZted Biker (12-04-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 02:05 PM
16 Ultra Al
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm guessing that being in the middle of a crowd, or at least a small group, would be your best option.

And the bear spray.
Black and Brown bears are present, black bears are the likely beast to be encountered, carry bear spray and a bell when you are walking and enjoying the sites. You can identify the type of bear in the area by its scat (poop), black bears have berries and vegetable matter in their scat, brown bears have bells and their scat smells like pepper spray.....

Mxdad (12-12-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 02:16 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,461 Likes on 1,591 Posts

If you can share motel rooms with other rider(s) you can reduce the cost of your trip. Two of us rode from Michigan and met up with another buddy from NM, in Regina, SK and that saved us a few bucks.

Be sure to check on Canadian laws (no weapons, no criminal history, etc.) before you get to the border.

I always pull up to the customs booth and shut my engine off.
Have your passport & D/L ready.
Pay close attention to their questions and reply as briefly as possible and don't be evasive or rude unless you're prepared to be pulled to the side and having your stuff (and perhaps yourself) "manhandled".

I rode an Ultra, pulling a cargo trailer and I was never pulled in for inspection.

Our buddy from NM (sadly killed on his bike this year) liked to joke with the customs people and I think he got the "full treatment" at every border crossing.

Be sure that your bike has new (or recent) tires and battery and that you have some basic tools, and if your bike has tubeless tires, a plug kit and a mini-compressor. Road service can be extremely slow and expensive so hopefully you won't need it.
I took my "hillbilly credit card") siphon hose just in case. As someone said earlier, get gas when you can even if it isn't premium. As I remember, the longest distance between service stations was about 100 miles.

Proper riding gear to keep you warm and dry is a must as is a good supply of mosquito spray.

Oh, BTW, I also recommend taking the ferry (out of Hanes, AK) on your return trip but be sure to book ahead and I strongly recommend a cabin (two bunks and a tiny bath/shower).
Three nights with rest, food, booze and good company!

Check out the Alaska Marine Highway website for info.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 12-14-2016 at 02:20 PM.