Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Glacier Nat. Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:51 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
This year when we go to sturgis we plan to make a side trip to Glacier.

So lets plan it.
Roads to take, things to see and places to stay.

3 or 4 nights.
Did the same thing last year before Sturgis.....route we took....unfortunately a fire started just before we were going into the park from the east entrance, we had to go back to the western entrance and we could only go about 40 miles into the park

from the western entrance then we had to make a u-turn...still was worth it.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:17 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Glacier National Park is beautiful, the ride thru it is awesome. I highly recommend it.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:28 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

IMHO, GNP is one of, if not the most scenic NP's!

We've been there (4 times I believe) and we've always traveled east to west and I think we also stayed in Cut Bank every time.
Cut Bank is a small town but it's not too far from GNP.

The little town of St. Mary, just at the east gate, once had a little café that had some very delicious but darned if I can remember the name of that place.

Be sure to take adequate warm clothing and your rain suit.
On two of our trips, we rode through downpours in 42 degree weather...in July!

Old 12-05-2016, 06:41 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. So far my plan is to head to Spearfish from home and drop unneeded gear (camping) as we plan to stay in motels/lodges on this part. Then head to Great Falls for the next night. The following day meet my wife in East Gate at the train station. (she does not have as much vacation time as I do and this will save her three days. I'm thinking 2 nights in GNP area then head to Red lodge. Next morning over the Bear Tooth and into the north gate of Yellow Stone. We will ride through part of the Park and spend night in Cody. From Cody we will head back to Spearfish for 5 days.

Recommendations on lodging Near East Gate? The train gets in around 6pm and I do not want to travel to far after that.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. So far my plan is to head to Spearfish from home and drop unneeded gear (camping) as we plan to stay in motels/lodges on this part. Then head to Great Falls for the next night. The following day meet my wife in East Gate at the train station. (she does not have as much vacation time as I do and this will save her three days. I'm thinking 2 nights in GNP area then head to Red lodge. Next morning over the Bear Tooth and into the north gate of Yellow Stone. We will ride through part of the Park and spend night in Cody. From Cody we will head back to Spearfish for 5 days.

Recommendations on lodging Near East Gate? The train gets in around 6pm and I do not want to travel to far after that.
GNP to Red Lodge is pretty ambitious for 1 day with wife...maybe I read your meaning wrong. Sure, it can be done but.....Maybe just take it easy down to Missoula for the night via Bigfork along the east side of Flathead Lake. Both great places. Wife would like that. Also, if she's short on vacation, why not just fly her into Great Falls? Sure, the train is cool, but late most of the time and a pita.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:24 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

This year when we go to sturgis we plan to make a side trip to Glacier.

So lets plan it.
Roads to take, things to see and places to stay.

3 or 4 nights.
My friend, 6 of the last 7 years I take about 5-7 weeks and ride ALL over the USA and Canada, all or most of the famous biker roads, blah, blah,m blah, and let me tell you this..........assuming u never did the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier Nat'l Park before, ........ I can easily say it is the BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST road I have ever been on.

In fact uplandpinter, I am bringing my wife out there since it was so FREAKING GREAT!!!!! Take pictures and share them with us please.

Whoooo hoooo..............you are going to have 1 f'n GREAT TIME!!!!

BuzzCap7

Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I did GNP a couple of years ago after Sturgis. Beautiful. Left Sturgis, oil change in Gillette, Little Big Horn and then Billings. Went up through Great Falls so I could visit the Lewis and Clark Museum. Camped in E Glacier first night for $38. Then over to W Glacier for two nights in a cabin I had reserved for $40 a night. Road up and into Canada (Waterton Park) one day. Nice place. It was a long ride going around on Hwy 2, but I can say I have been to Canada now.

Went down 93 and had planned to ride Hwy 12 at Lolo. It was raining, so I kept going south and out of the rain.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:31 AM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
GNP to Red Lodge is pretty ambitious for 1 day with wife...maybe I read your meaning wrong. Sure, it can be done but.....Maybe just take it easy down to Missoula for the night via Bigfork along the east side of Flathead Lake. Both great places. Wife would like that. Also, if she's short on vacation, why not just fly her into Great Falls? Sure, the train is cool, but late most of the time and a pita.
Depending on the rout Red Lodge is only 400 to 500 miles. That's doable for us. The train leaves in the middle of the night only 40 miles from home and is there at 6 pm. So it is a good option.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:26 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Depending on the rout Red Lodge is only 400 to 500 miles. That's doable for us. The train leaves in the middle of the night only 40 miles from home and is there at 6 pm. So it is a good option.
Sounds like an excellent plan. Cool you have a lady that likes to ride. If you've never ridden I-90 in Montana you'll find that it's pretty nice for interstate riding to get to Columbus for the road down to Red Lodge. Recommend reservations in Red Lodge as folks from everywhere stage there for that Beartooth ride.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:39 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

go east to west and stop in polson and tour flathead lake the day before

Quick Reply: Glacier Nat. Park