Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Glacier Nat. Park

Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Mid July to early September the cherries and Huckleberries will be coming off along Flathead Lake. I still think the Flathead valley is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:31 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,690 Likes on 21,260 Posts

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:08 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by coach127
Mid July to early September the cherries and Huckleberries will be coming off along Flathead Lake. I still think the Flathead valley is one of the most beautiful places on Earth.
I second the Flathead Lake route (Hwy 93). I was planning to take it until I read an article in HOG magazine with a rider suggesting Hwy 83 instead. I took 83 ..... but did not think it was that great. Many people told me to take 93 and I wish I had.

YMMV

Old 12-06-2016, 05:49 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I second the Flathead Lake route (Hwy 93). I was planning to take it until I read an article in HOG magazine with a rider suggesting Hwy 83 instead. I took 83 ..... but did not think it was that great. Many people told me to take 93 and I wish I had.

YMMV
The road that runs along the east side of Flathead Lake is very nice, too. Probably less tourist/RV traffic and that's where most of the cherry orchards are located.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:36 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
The road that runs along the east side of Flathead Lake is very nice, too. Probably less tourist/RV traffic and that's where most of the cherry orchards are located.
Yes, you are right - the east side, which is hwy 35, and merges back into 93.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:52 AM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer

YMMV
Totally agree, I took both routes came up 83 from Yellowstone via Clearwater to Kalispell. Swan Lake was nice but found that it was mostly tree lined not a whole you can see. Leaving Kalispell I took 93 south to Elmo and found it was much more scenic, rolling hills and you can see the water.
JMO

Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,047 Likes on 8,893 Posts

Here is a suggestion. Leave Helena West on Hwy 12, to Avon and head North on 141 To 200, then North on 83 all the way to Kalispel if moteling it, or head towards the Park Gates if camping. Stay there for two nights. On your day ride into Glacier ride all the way to St Marys (fuel and food), and turn around and ride back. It is beautiful in both directions. Or, go through to St Marys and head down 89 to 49 (49 is a wonderful road) which puts you in East Glacier. There is fuel and food there. Then head back to Kalispel, or your campground.

You can spend an entire day doing either of these, slow roads, lots of pictures places, lots of places to take a break. That is why I suggest staying for two nights.

A word of warning. If you head south on 89 out of St Marys, you will climb a beautiful wide road all the way to the top of the summit. But at the top, the road breaks away to the left with very little warning. If you are running a good clip, it will take your breath away. Trust me! LOL

Heading back south out of Kalispel, take 93, and make sure you stop in St Ignasus and go into the Church. The murals are worthy of a side trip.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:25 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

From reading upland's post 14, he won't be anywhere near Helena. Upland, I'll say that ride from Sturgis area to Great Falls will surprise you. Nice variety of roads and scenery. I took some friends that way who'd never been through Central Mont., and they really liked it....part of route was Big Timber>Harlowton>White Sulphur>Belt and in to Great Falls. Nice mc roads all the way. As for lodging in East Glacier take a look at that iconic East Glacier Lodge right near the Amtrak station. Very cool place that would be a great start for the two of you as you'll be fresh in the morning to head toward St. Mary and over the Sun Road. Reservations need to be made as early as possible.

Edit: Well, after thinking what I just posted, I guess the OP could go through Helena if he wanted to stick with interstates. Didn't count on that.

Last edited by mtgriz; 12-07-2016 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Upon further review....
The following users liked this post:
uplandpinter (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,047 Likes on 8,893 Posts

212 -> 39 (through Colstrip) -> 12 puts you right in Helena, with only a few miles of Freeway.

I love Montana back roads. Just make sure you get gas when you can, and dont ride on the bottom half of the tank.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:34 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,318 Likes on 10,699 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Here is a suggestion. Leave Helena West on Hwy 12, to Avon and head North on 141 To 200, then North on 83 all the way to Kalispel if moteling it, or head towards the Park Gates if camping. Stay there for two nights. On your day ride into Glacier ride all the way to St Marys (fuel and food), and turn around and ride back. It is beautiful in both directions. Or, go through to St Marys and head down 89 to 49 (49 is a wonderful road) which puts you in East Glacier. There is fuel and food there. Then head back to Kalispel, or your campground.
G'day mate. I am trying to find the intersection of 200 and 83 you referenced above and I am just not finding it.

Can u tell me what city/state is near that intersection?

Thanks!

BuzzCap7

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glacier Nat. Park