Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Utah trip in June - what gear to wear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 11:17 AM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

Thanks for all the tips and advice - I really appreciate it.

I figured I'd go with vented riding pants so that way one pair of jeans can be worn all week after the ride. As I said, packing light...

I will go to target for the shirts. Thanks for that tip.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:18 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by traffic jam
I will go to target for the shirts. Thanks for that tip.
Don't tell anyone but I buy my long sleeved riding shirts off of Ebay for cheap usually.. Last two were Polo by RL for $5 each and new. I buy 'em in white as Texas sun is bright..

Griz

Old 11-18-2016, 01:48 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

To OP, good advice from other posters regarding June weather in Southern UT. It is usually pretty warm by that time of year, but sometimes you never know. Best bet is to prepare for warm, then supplement locally if cold.

You are going to love the scenery. Much like the other national parks and such, it is such a unique area, and there is nothing else like it anywhere in the world.

I might be able to be convinced to run down from the North and ride with you for a little bit.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:07 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

I rode through UT in in early Sept. Left Vegas at about noon. It was 115 going to St. geoge via Hwy 15. Highly recommend the moisture wicking long sleeve white shirts. And stay hydrated. Every time we stopped it was gas, water, and beer. LOL. And have the rain gear handy, it comes on in a heart beat.

Scenery is like nothing else. You'll stop a lot to take pics. Wouldn't do UT any other way than on a motorcycle. Saw a couple herds of big horn sheep on our way through Arches NP. Have fun. Ride save.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:30 AM
J.Tours
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by traffic jam
I need to pack lightly. I'd like to wear mesh riding pants and change into jeans in the evening. Same with a jacket. Or, should I wear jeans and chaps and vented leather jacket?
If it were me on that trip, I would wear a waterproof touring jacket with multiple vents (Aerostich Roadcrafter) and kevlar lined (Draggin) jeans with a pair of water proof over-pants in my saddle bag.

Also, boots, helmet and gloves but that almost goes without saying.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:58 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

We were there in June this year, average hi temp was to be 85. But the weather Gods had other Ideas, Temps were 20 degrees above average just for the week we were there.

Reno in Sept, same but in reverse. temps were 20 degrees cooler just for the few days we were there., Made a great ride over Donner trying to beat the snow in the forecast.

I need to appease the weather Gods, Got to find a Goldwing to light up and drag down the street and get them off my back.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:27 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm really appreciating all your advice. I have Kevlar lined jeans - just thought they'd feel hot under the hot sun. I picked up a HD Switchback jacket on ebay. Its textile, has a liner, but when hot you can zip off the front and back panels and it turns into a mesh jacket. I think that should work.

Maybe get a cooling vest. Definitely a cooling bandana.

Crazytown - appreciate the offer As I will be riding in a group, not this time though. This will be a test to see if I will even like long distance riding. I suspect I will - hope I do.

Last edited by traffic jam; 11-22-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:05 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I arrived Utah this summer on May 31st to spend another 13 days riding. It snowed two days prior, but weather was spectacular for us. Early in June temps were in the high 80's mid afternoon. By the time we got to Moab, it was 105 in the afternoon, but in the 70's after an early breakfast.
We rode early and you get a double benefit. We where there over Memorial Day and the average tourist does not hit the park gate until 10:00. Also, we did Arches a second time at twilight. Very cool, temps and the views.

We stayed in the Canyon River Lodge in Moab. Right in town, nice pool and hot pool combo, laundry out the back of the parking lot and inexpensive. Spending the afternoon poolside when it was 105 was a nice treat. In fact, all our motel experiences in Utah, Nevada and Colorado were great.

This was May 31st.

We layered and had enough to be comfortable for two up for 16 days. Cold for us was crossing mountain passes, but even here we usually had fantastic weather.
For me, one kevlar and one pr regular jeans, bathing suit shorts, two long sleeve wash and wear tees, 3 wash and wear tees, 7 pr riding socks, one light shirt, one fleece sweater, leather jacket with vents, riding boots, lightweight sneakers with 3 pr light ankle socks, rain gear, bandanna for sun. 2 pr gloves, one light one heavier. One Harley Hawaiian shirt for dress up. We each had one saddlebag for our personal stuff. Raingear and riding gear (leather jackets and gloves) went into tour pack along with sneakers and a hot iron and compact blow dryer. She brought chaps, I used the rain gear pants instead of chaps. Used them twice, once in 30 miles at 34 and sleet and again in a cold rain on the last day crossing Snoqualmie Pass headed home.

I used a doppler weather app when weather might intervene. We pulled over below South Pass on 28 into Lander, WY and waited 30 minutes to cross this mountain pass. We went right between two huge thunder and lightning cells and while the road was wet and there was 3" of snow on the sides, we stayed totally dry. The bikes that passed us while we waited for the right time had to pull over in the pass itself in 3" of hail by following a truck and their tire rut into a truck pullover. They could not believe us that the road was bare 30 minutes later. We often started out with a tee and a leather jacket and by 10:00 the jackets were bunged to the tour pack bag. I watch the sunburn so I wore a long sleeve tee most days. It is a polyester tee most days in the heat while my girlfriend rode as naked as the police and Utah good sense would allow.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 11-23-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added notes about layering
Old 11-23-2016, 01:37 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Check out Hanes X-Temp or CoolDri Tshirts..it's all my wife and I wear under our mesh jackets during our summer trips..
Leave the CHAPS at home and just use rain gear pants if you get cold..

http://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/men/..._desktop_PDPZ1

Old 11-23-2016, 04:06 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I ride through Utah 4 to 6 times per year taking lots of different routes. The weather can vary significantly. Be prepared! On one trip, I got into St. George in late-May on one trip and it was 105 degrees. The next morning I left at 4 AM and just north on 15 the temps were in the high 20s from Cedar City all the way to Beaver. The barbed wire fences along the freeway were covered with icicles. Generally, it will be warm to very hot in June (especially Moab), but you can see very cold early morning temps (Zion, Fishlake, etc.) depending on the elevation. Ron

Quick Reply: Utah trip in June - what gear to wear?