Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Utah trip in June - what gear to wear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:11 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Utah trip in June - what gear to wear?

I need to pack lightly. I'd like to wear mesh riding pants and change into jeans in the evening. Same with a jacket. Or, should I wear jeans and chaps and vented leather jacket?

What do you wear when you tour the southwest in the June-July heat? When mornings may be cool and afternoons go into the 90s?

This will be my first trip so I figured I'd ask the experienced riders what you wear.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:13 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It will be warm, rain for sure, yes cooler in the early morning and sun will be beating down. Full cover is smart because of sun, shirt, pants. Full leather gloves helps with the heat and sun. I have found that a good full face helmet is better that a half, because of the sun. Light jacket, and rain gear. I live in the southern, southwest and most of the good riding season is spring, fall and winter. Summer is OK. Hope this helped. Jim

Old 11-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Ezridr60
Tourer

Received 122 Likes on 47 Posts

It's been quite a few years since we did a Utah tour. Mid summer, brutal. Scenery worth it!

We always started early, pre 6AM, you'll need a mid weight jacket, mornings are cool/cold. By 10AM, down to Levi's and T's. Temps were 103-105 by 1PM. It's a battle knowing what you should be wearing vs. what's comfortable. Rain gear, and helmet. Afternoon TRW's, often accompanied by hail. We got caught in one, would have not been fun sans helmets! Towns with cover, car washes, gas station canopies, widespread.

Can't stress this one enough, water, water, water.. Sunscreen/hat. The sun and speed you're riding just sucks it outta ya. Plan your gas, again lotsa miles between station, we filled every time we saw one and still damn near wound up hiking. Panguitch to Green River, right at the limit of known range. At the junction of 89/70 checked the map, 7 exits between us and Green River. A town 15 miles in the wrong direction, but surely one in the right direction has gas! The first should have been a clue to turn around, "Ranch Exit, no services", as were they all! Put 5.199 gals in a 5.2 gallon tank in Green River!

Unknown to us at the time we were in Moab, 2 brothers with their families, kids. Cycling. Pre teen got separated from the group. Searched 3 days, 3rd day, found him under a small tree, died of exposure. They lived next town to us in Illinois, that's how we became aware after getting home. The desert is harsh.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:14 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts

When I ride from Canada to our home in Arizona I carry a Camelback hydration sack with a hose and a bite valve to hydrate as I ride. I fill it up with ice and water and it works great.

Prior to my first trip to Arizona I had some great advice from a few riders in Arizona, start hydrating a couple of days before your trip, blow the water back into the sack after drinking, it will get hot in the tube. If you don't take a leak every hour and a half or so, your not hydrating enough.

I also took a cooling vest and a cooling bandana. I used the bandana, but didn't use the vest.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:33 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

What they said - cool in the AM and toasty in the afternoon. Cover up to keep the sun off. Try this for your head/neck. Works well.

https://www.mission.com/collections/multi-cool

Watch out for tar snakes on the roads. Slick as ice when hot. Although it's scenic I would avoid UT72 from I-70 to Loa, UT. The highway dept got carried away with the tar. UT12 was a little overdone in some places as well. If you're not a floorboard scraper you'll be good.

Anyways, UT is a beautiful state. Five national parks. Be sure to see Bryce Canyon - absolutely stunning!

Old 11-16-2016, 03:20 PM
Ezridr60
Tourer

Received 122 Likes on 47 Posts

Without a doubt, one of the most scenic places anywhere. Some of it so bizarre, it looks fake. Almost like a Disney theme park creation. This is one of the parks just north of Moab, UT

Old 11-16-2016, 09:22 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

Great advice, and great pics! I can't wait! Thanks to all who gave input. So I think I'll wear a mesh jacket with layers for cool mornings which can be taken off as the day heats up. I like the cooling vest and bandana suggestion. For pants, I think I may go with Olympia mesh pants or some other riding pant. I don't think I like the idea of jeans and chaps all day in the heat. Jeans will be for when the riding is done in the evening.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:55 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Was just there this last summer. I road 46 to 191 up to Moab and Arches. The tar snakes were out of control on 46 through Utah. I have always had luck wearing those light weight moisture wicking shirts. I prefer long sleeve for the protection from the sun. You can get them cheap at Target no need for the expensive brands. Good luck and enjoy it was extremely hot but well worth it!!

Old 11-17-2016, 06:56 PM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

I went west this past July. Awesome trip. I wore a mesh jacket with a cooling vest under it. A modular helmet will keep you from cooking your brain. I also took a half helmet to wear when the temps were more comfortable.

I loved my hydroflask water bottle, it really will keep your water cold in extreme heat. I did about 4700 miles in two weeks with temps reaching well over 100 but also the morning I left Zion it was below 40. so be prepared for cold weather.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:34 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

It depends on where you're traveling in Utah. Bryce Canyon NP is at 8000' and can get get very chilly in June. Zion NP will be like a furnace, the heat radiates off the canyon walls. But generally speaking, anywhere in southern Utah will be pretty warm in June. It should be nice riding weather.

Quick Reply: Utah trip in June - what gear to wear?