Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Summer 2017 Trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:17 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by gtmalone
Suggestion for your part 1 in CO. Avoid I-25 - really fast and lots of traffic especially around Denver and north.

Here's an alternate for you from Abilene to Laramie. I've ridden these road several times. Great roads and scenery!

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...7&locale=en_US

okay thanks, just one hotel change..lol

Old 12-03-2016, 11:38 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Thinking about this same trip in 2018. We just did Yellowstone this past Summer. We always do a shorter trip the following year. My problem is leaving later in the summer. I would love to do glacier in early July. Just worried i might not be able to if the roads in the park are not open.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:55 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

July in Glacier will definitely be clear. Also a good chance of temps in the 90s. Best time in my opinion for national parks is before school is out in the spring and after it starts in the fall. National parks would be really nice it it weren't for the damn tourists.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:26 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

I bought a yearly pass last year for the National Parks in the US this last summer. It was a great idea and I paid it off in no time at all.

Road To The Sun usually opens up in early to mid June and closes mid to late October.

They have been working on the road in the last several years, and there was a 30 minute delay on the West side about 2/3 of the way up last summer.

There is a great Campground on the west side by MacDonald lake. I have stayed there several times. If you are into private camping, there are excellent campgrounds outside the park gates on the West side. Also, lots of nice motels in Kalispel.

These are pretty cool if you are into the guided tour side of things.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:07 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts

Sounds like a great trip. We were up in that area last year. Beautiful country. Enjoy.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:55 PM
JeremyHagen68
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 269 Likes on 268 Posts

Looks great. I did that area the last couple years. We always stay at StoneCreek Lodge in Missoula, MT. Its next to the interstate and right next to the Harley dealer. the guy that owns it rides motorcycles and gives fellow riders one hell of a discount just tell them the Harley dealer sent you.. newer hotel and everything about it was fantastic. In Jackson, WY we always stay at the Virginian Lodge. Its usually the end of July and our rooms were $99/night plus tax for the last two years. I can't remember the name of the guy that manages it but he's also great to work with. If you have the time I would recommend going west at Lolo over Lolo pass and down that way to Boise and across but totally up to you. I enjoyed that area better then the Salmon area going south. Craters of the Moon is different and everybody should see it once but what a bunch of wasted land!! When you leave Jackson I would recommend going west on 22 over to Swan Valley and south on 26 to 89 back to 30 and into Kemmerer that way. It was all good roads and the Swan Valley was great scenery. Every roads pretty much a good road when your on vacation on the bike tho!! Good luck and ride safe. Theres a great micro brewery just south of the Harley dealer in Jackson to that has some of the best brisket ive ever ate in them parts!!

Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 AM
rossn2
Road Master

Originally Posted by JeremyHagen68
Looks great. I did that area the last couple years. We always stay at StoneCreek Lodge in Missoula, MT. Its next to the interstate and right next to the Harley dealer. the guy that owns it rides motorcycles and gives fellow riders one hell of a discount just tell them the Harley dealer sent you.. newer hotel and everything about it was fantastic. In Jackson, WY we always stay at the Virginian Lodge. Its usually the end of July and our rooms were $99/night plus tax for the last two years. I can't remember the name of the guy that manages it but he's also great to work with. If you have the time I would recommend going west at Lolo over Lolo pass and down that way to Boise and across but totally up to you. I enjoyed that area better then the Salmon area going south. Craters of the Moon is different and everybody should see it once but what a bunch of wasted land!! When you leave Jackson I would recommend going west on 22 over to Swan Valley and south on 26 to 89 back to 30 and into Kemmerer that way. It was all good roads and the Swan Valley was great scenery. Every roads pretty much a good road when your on vacation on the bike tho!! Good luck and ride safe. Theres a great micro brewery just south of the Harley dealer in Jackson to that has some of the best brisket ive ever ate in them parts!!

ok have incorporated going via Swan Valley into the HD ride planner route. Probably will stay at Staybridge in Missoula as I'm IHG member and get free nights..

Old 04-24-2018, 03:16 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Old 04-24-2018, 03:33 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,356 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
That's a whole lot a pictures. Looks like a fun time.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:55 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Love this area of the country