Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida

Old 12-05-2016, 10:27 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,320 Likes on 10,699 Posts

Originally Posted by alex369
Hi everyone I am hoping that some of you may have some info or thoughts of riding in florida, port charlotte is where I will be staying is there any bike night or biker bars or that kind of thing in the area. I would also like to do a trip to key west is there any tent camping in the keys or cheap motels. Also interested in the northern part of the state panhandle area.

thanks for your replies
When tent camping in the Keys, be sure to ask about staying on HIGH ground.

I am talking from experience.

BuzzCap7

Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
When tent camping in the Keys, be sure to ask about staying on HIGH ground.

I am talking from experience.

BuzzCap7
please elaborate

we have a cpl site reserved at Boyds in march...

Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
please elaborate

we have a cpl site reserved at Boyds in march...
Absolutely my friend.

All of the Keys is pretty much at sea level or within a foot or 2 so essentially it is all at Sea Level. My son and I were going to hit EVERY campground and tent camp all the way down to KW (Key West).

On occasion, I was asked by the person checking us in if we need high ground. Maybe the person checking us in thought we could be in a class D or C or class A RV. I said, we are tent camping so yes. High ground.

High ground only means around here that you are high enough not to pitch your tent in an area prone to standing water if it rains.

Remember, being at sea level means the ground is not really going to absorb much water or not fast anyway so standing water would be common until it absorbs or runs off.

Well, one such place put us in "high ground" and it hardly rained at all as I recall and possibly not at all or the tide came in and we were in 1-2" of water.

You can't sleep in a tent in 1-2" of water. Around 3AM my son and I were sufficiently soaked so we called it quits and went home.

We only had a few campgrounds left and Boyd's was one of them.

I only heard about GOOD things regarding Boyd's. It is is super close to KW so that is really cool.

But back to my point, in essence, be sure to ask wherever you go that you are in "high ground".

I grew up tent camping a LOT in Maine so "high ground" there has a totally different meaning.

Did that help?

Oh, if it matters, if you are going to camp at any of the state campgrounds, their facilities are despicable. The commode is basically a stall with a big hole you do your business in. I have "been there, done that" but as I get older, it is like.............GIVE ME FLUSH TOILETs. If that is of any matter to you.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Have FUN!!

Oh.....to this day, the ride back at 3AM and the conversation we had was FANTASTIC! We look back and think of how much FUN FUN FUN we had on the trip, even that ride back. You just never know....

BuzzCap7

Old 12-06-2016, 06:21 PM
SkydiverRick
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the Port Charlotte area. Not a lot of curvy roads, but lots of scenery. Bert's Black Widow Harley is in Port Charlotte. They would be a good source of info. Attached is a picture at the north end of Casey Key.

Attached Thumbnails Florida-ck.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 07:22 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Absolutely my friend.

All of the Keys is pretty much at sea level or within a foot or 2 so essentially it is all at Sea Level. My son and I were going to hit EVERY campground and tent camp all the way down to KW (Key West).

On occasion, I was asked by the person checking us in if we need high ground. Maybe the person checking us in thought we could be in a class D or C or class A RV. I said, we are tent camping so yes. High ground.

High ground only means around here that you are high enough not to pitch your tent in an area prone to standing water if it rains.

Remember, being at sea level means the ground is not really going to absorb much water or not fast anyway so standing water would be common until it absorbs or runs off.

Well, one such place put us in "high ground" and it hardly rained at all as I recall and possibly not at all or the tide came in and we were in 1-2" of water.

You can't sleep in a tent in 1-2" of water. Around 3AM my son and I were sufficiently soaked so we called it quits and went home.

We only had a few campgrounds left and Boyd's was one of them.

I only heard about GOOD things regarding Boyd's. It is is super close to KW so that is really cool.

But back to my point, in essence, be sure to ask wherever you go that you are in "high ground".

I grew up tent camping a LOT in Maine so "high ground" there has a totally different meaning.

Did that help?

Oh, if it matters, if you are going to camp at any of the state campgrounds, their facilities are despicable. The commode is basically a stall with a big hole you do your business in. I have "been there, done that" but as I get older, it is like.............GIVE ME FLUSH TOILETs. If that is of any matter to you.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Have FUN!!

Oh.....to this day, the ride back at 3AM and the conversation we had was FANTASTIC! We look back and think of how much FUN FUN FUN we had on the trip, even that ride back. You just never know....

BuzzCap7

thanks Man!!

I was not sure if yiu where referring to "rats" I talked to one lady who camped in a pvt yard and said it was crazy at night...

I spent a weekend at Boyds last march but I was in a motorhome

thanks again

Old 12-08-2016, 08:35 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
thanks Man!!

I was not sure if yiu where referring to "rats" I talked to one lady who camped in a pvt yard and said it was crazy at night...

I spent a weekend at Boyds last march but I was in a motorhome

thanks again
You are very welcome my friend. No rats. None anywhere. But if u do travel those roads at night, there are Key Deer down there. It is posted as such as well....do take it seriously.

HAVE FUN!!

BuzzCap7

Old 12-09-2016, 11:50 AM
alex369
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies on the camping, I have to be careful of my budget as I would like to spent a bit of time in the keys as well as the rest of Florida. What is the north west gulf coast like north of Tampa to Tallahassee, is there anything off hwy 98 towards the gulf. I am thinking april for this and run along the gulf coast to Louisiana. I like to stop at small town bars, and poking through comercial fishing harbours or any old industrial area. I am all loaded up and leaving monday morning, can not get out of the snow fast enough.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:16 PM
BuzzCap7

You may want to checkout these things:

1) The Worlds Smallest Police Station
It is on rte 98 (aka Avenue A North) and Tallahassee St. It is on the NW corner.
Carrabelle, FL

Florida-sdc11324.jpg Florida-sdc11323.jpg

2) Cedar Key Harbour Master Suites: 390 Dock Street, Cedar Key FL 32625
THIS place needs some explaining.
This is a UNIQUE okace to stay. Try to get a room on the ocean. It will have a balcony where you can drink wine or beer all night. GORGEOUS at night. I always stay at their Corrigans Reef suite since it is the BEST of them all. A bit pricey.

Very unusual looking place. Like done up in the 60's colors. This is also where I found this sign.

Florida-photo388.jpg LOL!

Next door is Black Dog Bar & Tables...it is open when they are open th esign says. But when they are open, it is the BEST place EVER!!!!! Yes, they have a bar, but also a WALL TO WALL glass refrigerator for ANY BEER EVER!!! Thousands of beers of ALL kind.

You look over the Gulf, sit inside or outside (when drunk, both) they have over stuffed chairs, you can smoke, play checks, chess, read a newspaper, ANYTHING!!! GREAT GREAT GREAT place when they are open.

There is a tiny beach nearby. A variety of other paces to eat but for breakfast the BEST BEST place there is Kona Joes Island Cafe. It is at this guys HOUSE! Eat inside or outside. You will want outside. The selection is GOOD and the food is FANTASTIC! I will not go there without eating at Kona Joe's.

You will pass his place on the way in and out. EASY to find. 4051 D Street, Cedar Key. The people are like they have known you for 100 years.

Oh, what is really cool, you ride in and everything looks normal. UNTIL you turn onto the mains street DOCK Street. All of a sudden it looks like someone flipped a switch and you are in New England. WOW! REALLY COOL!!! And unexpected.

3) In Perry, FL there is a Hampton Inn there. They have a Managers Special or something like that. During certain hours it is all you can eat and drink.

The drinks are a basic variety which is nice but the food is limitless. Strawberry's with choc, white and dark, cookies, and a LOAD of other things. It is a favorite stop over when I am in that area.

Hopefully that helps some matey. I do not know much for pubs except for the Black Dog I mentioned above. IF IF IF they are open. Really, no hours. And they have never returned any of my calls. If they are open fine. If not, oh well. Real bummer.

Best of luck and have FUN!!

BuzzCap7