Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:08 AM
alex369
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Florida

Hi everyone I am hoping that some of you may have some info or thoughts of riding in florida, port charlotte is where I will be staying is there any bike night or biker bars or that kind of thing in the area. I would also like to do a trip to key west is there any tent camping in the keys or cheap motels. Also interested in the northern part of the state panhandle area.

thanks for your replies

Old 11-21-2016, 10:30 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

The search function has numerous postings regarding key west.
It will keep you busy reading for a while.
In your case it really would make for a nice loop trip.
On one leg take the middle of the state route with 70 EAST to US-27 SOUTH, then Krome/997 SOUTH, then EAST on Card Sound Road to US1 till you reach Key West.
The other leg it would be nice to take US1 out of Keys, to Krome/997 North, To Tamiami Trail WEST, then take 29 NORTH (Ave Maria town is off of 29 by about ten miles along the way) read about it online... and then continue NORTH on 29 and figure your best option to go west at some point to get to to Port Charlotte..maybe state road 80 west?
Tamiami Trail has the canal with alligators on the north side of road and since the sun rises in the east it might be nicer to ride home with the sun at your back.
There are few stops on the on Tamiami trail between Krome/997 and 29 but it is a daylight ride only. stop to view Value Jet memorial(read about it online) , stop later to see FREE Gator view area with bathrooms, Joannies Carb shack for a soda and see pictures in bathroom(read about it online), stop for picture at The smallest post office (read about it online) and then when you get to intersection of Tamiami Trail and 29 you can take a slight detour south (about 7 miles) to Everglades City for some sea food on River..i think it was CITY SEAFOOD (on river) get some claws..read history about that sleepy town (read about it online)..it was quietly busy at one time and a lot of people got arrested...about another 5 miles south is Chokoloskee with the little Smallwood $5 musuem.
Key west proper is expensive ($150 for a low price hotel) so the word cheap is not well known...Ideal situation is to stay someplace within walking distance to Duval since parking is very difficult..arrive in the afternoon, see the sunset, see the nightlife, wake-up walk around and depart before noon as a minimal stay.
Do not look at a map of start of the keys to the end and think the distance is no big deal..Average speed is about 45 mph with numerous drop downs and heavy speed enforcement..Also note Tamiami Trail has areas that are Indian police patrolled and they need the money..it is their area.

Last edited by im; 11-21-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:49 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Cut and paste to key west:
Alabama Jack's, Card Sound Rd., On card sound road just before/right next to toll…Place to eat or snack. This is the only place to eat/drink on card sound road.
Key Largo : east side of road.. The African Queen ”bogart movie little boat ” - is on view sometimes at the Holiday Inn Key Largo Marina..”FREE” it is dry docked and the termites have done a number on it…can see it and leave with-out getting off bike…on west side of road: A local bar “Dumpy”, the Caribbean Club-good view from the back and was supposedly used for Bogart movie…Get a beer in a bottle and enjoy view of water in back.
Islamorada :Hand feed tarpons at Robbies..really east to miss...just past bridge..west side of road.. I think it is $3 for bucket of fish and $1 dollar per person? nice 15-20 minute stop and they have cold glass bottle cokes to cool down.http://www.robbies.com/tarpon.htm

World Wide Sportsman, Islamorada - ultimate tackle store (now part of the Bass Pro Shop chain) but store has a history that includes Zane Grey and Papa Hemingway. Good place to eat next door at isla morada fish company…Do not eat under roof “hot” eat at table with umbrella….use bathrooms at the big world wide sports store next door..(back right corner) by the aquarium.
Seven Mile Bridge: used in several movies. Notice old bridge on west side.
key west
Mallory Square,Hemingway House
Best fish sandwich : BO's fishwagon, fresh everyday, on caroline and William..dump at corner of intersection..park bikes a few feet away..do internet search http://www.keywesttravelguide.com/bos-fish-wagon.html
Definitely get your picture taken at the Southernmost Point.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:26 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Pretty nice HD Dealer in Ft Myers, Six Bends http://www.sixbendshd.com that has a big Map of all the routes from the dealer out...Port Charlotte is not too far....lots of flat, straight riding, but we have some cool places to visit.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Alex---take the great advice from IM---I did a couple years ago--he knows what he,s talking about--my wife and I did 12 days on the bike ------FT Lauderdale-Key West-Naples-Fort Meyers-Tampa St Pete-Daytona-StAugustine-and back to Ft Lauderdale--We took most of what he sent for advice along with a couple other Florida guys--much appreciated

Rocker

Old 11-21-2016, 07:07 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

yes im is giving good advice, enjoy the trip

Old 11-21-2016, 09:44 PM
jimmmya
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Find out when bike night is in Ft Myers, its a good time lots of bikes, vendors,outdoor bands and good choice of food. I think its on a Thursday once a month

Old 11-21-2016, 09:47 PM
jimmmya
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Bike Night Dates Ft Myers 2016-2017. Dates: November 12, January 14, March 11, May 13 6-10 pm

Old 11-28-2016, 03:40 PM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Hotels in key West are not cheap. And the cheaper hotels are so so to not even a so . Hotels around Marathon are better priced. .

Old 12-02-2016, 09:25 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by alex369
Hi everyone I am hoping that some of you may have some info or thoughts of riding in florida, port charlotte is where I will be staying is there any bike night or biker bars or that kind of thing in the area. I would also like to do a trip to key west is there any tent camping in the keys or cheap motels. Also interested in the northern part of the state panhandle area.

thanks for your replies

If you are staying in Port Charlotte then you have a really good dealer right there (Black Widow). Talk to them about some local places and rides. I know at least one of their guys lives down in the Cape and rides a lot.

We spent a couple days/nights in Key West last year. $200 a night was the cheapest we could find and it was a dive B&B. This year if we ride down we will stay up on one of the other keys and just do a couple days trips down to Duval Street.

Ft. Myers Bike Night is on-line. They switch it around, one month it is in Cape Coral and the next it is in Ft. Myers.

Quick Reply: Florida