Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

4 day Colorado ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:25 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
Default 4 day Colorado ride

Headed to Colorado end of Aug. Flying into Denver, Going to rent a bike for 4 days. Dropping bike off in Vegas. Looking for suggestions on routes. I've already been down the million dollar highway. Just starting this plan so open to all suggestions. Thanks

Old 12-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

If it were me...

Starting on the eastern side of the elevation, I'd head on down to Manitou Springs, see Garden of the Gods, then do Pike's Peak. Squirreling in a generally northerly direction, I'd then make sure to ride Mt. Evans' road, before stopping in Idaho Springs for food/gas. An ambitious rider could cover that in a day, weather and traffic permitting. That will put you right on the freeway, so if you want to make fast time, west out of there is the best freeway in the nation that I've found.

Rocky Mountain National Park is also very nice to the north of Idaho Springs, if you have time, and any road that stays in the elevation is going to be good, even if you get hailed on, which happens to us every time we go there.

If you pick little mountain towns and connect the dots with small paved roads, you can't go wrong. That can take time though, so plan carefully if you have to be in Vegas on a hard deadline.

Since you're dropping off the bike in Vegas, I'd recommend using non-freeway roads once you hit eastern Utah, and bag a couple National Parks near Moab, or along other routes.

4 days, spaced out across the west, you'll enjoy every second!

All the best,

Shane

The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 11:15 PM
sgoharley
Tourer
Received 254 Likes on 84 Posts

I have riden thru this area multiple times, you cant beat the area around Naturita, Zion, Devils Backbone, moab, bryce canyon and anywhere else in Utah. Some of the best riding in the country. From Colorado to vegas the only interstate you have to take is from St George to vegas and even that is decent.

Old 12-13-2016, 05:47 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Hard to find a bad road.

Independence pass, Leadville 91 to 24 and all around were great.

The following users liked this post:
2005 Roadking (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 10:53 AM
FattyMcJ
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts

Being that I live here, I can say Shanebo's route would be GOLD for you. After getting into Idaho Springs you have several choices of what I call "Mountain Loops" right off I-70. If you can, stop in Nederland. They have the Carousel of Happiness, it's an indoors old-school carousel, $1 a ride. Nederland is on the Peak-to-Peak highway, which in itself doesn't suck to ride (I do it at least 5 times a year).

If you can get into Estes Park (Rocky Mountain National Park) you won't regret it. Cool little town, Stanley Hotel (the Shining was filmed there), and the park itself is stunningly beautiful. You'll likely get up close & personal with some Elk. Don't get off the bike lol

Then you can take a few different routes out, back into Boulder which has it's own cool spots to visit (Sunrise Amphitheater is one), but don't stay in Boulder too long...they're crazy people.

Or you can go East out of Rocky Mountain National Park into Granby/Grand Lake. Beautiful scenery.

Keep heading East into Glenwood Springs, HUGE hot springs...a nice stop to relax.

And finally Grand Junction, where you can head back South into Ouray (beautiful) and Durango.

Last edited by FattyMcJ; 12-13-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:36 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Gives me a great starting point. About to break out a map and see if i can connect the dots.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2016, 09:16 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

It's all good in Colorado. Our cabin is in Almont/Taylor Park area. So that's my Home Base of course it's a great ride from Kentucky to Colorado , so many routes.
Beware Cottonwood pass between Taylor Park and Buena Vista, Co will be closed summer 2017 for road construction

Old 12-16-2016, 03:26 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,362 Likes on 1,273 Posts

A buddy and I were gone for 7 days and did a great trip in and around Colorado.

You can see pic of our trip, and the route we took here: http://www.leiningerphotos.com/Harle...Rides/Colorado

Mt.Evans was great. Pike's Peak was cool, but if I could only do one, I'd pick Mt.Evans.

The San Juan Skyway was awesome, and I'd definitely ride that again.

Last edited by jeffro09; 12-16-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:18 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Having done all 5 states CO/NM/NV/UT/AZ.....last year...if I had 4 days I would do this route.....

Old 12-17-2016, 08:38 AM
RWTDCT
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sgoharley
I have riden thru this area multiple times, you cant beat the area around Naturita, Zion, Devils Backbone, moab, bryce canyon and anywhere else in Utah. Some of the best riding in the country. From Colorado to vegas the only interstate you have to take is from St George to vegas and even that is decent.
I second these. Awesome scenery.

Quick Reply: 4 day Colorado ride