Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Touring North of the US Border in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 12:11 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Thanks for the reminder, just ordered my free passes from the Parks Canada website:

http://www.commandesparcs-parksorder...et/en/parksb2c
Is this pass ONLY for Canadian residents?

Old 01-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,660 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Is this pass ONLY for Canadian residents?
No, US residents are welcome to order them too. Just do it well in advance of your trip; they could take a while to get to you.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:12 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

No, US residents are welcome to order them too. Just do it well in advance of your trip; they could take a while to get to you.
Thanks....settled that confusion among the lady riders! No rush as we're knee-deep in snow.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Rats. I crossed Canada three years ago when the there was it was dollar for dollar. Oh well many times in my life I have had bad timing.

I can make up for it this coming season and do the Yellowknife trip.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:06 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I did Lake Louise then west to Vancouver in 2008. Most beautiful ride I've ever done, comparable in enjoyment to Southern Utah. We didn't need the passport, but yeah, costs were high. Gas was US $5.25 per gallon as I recall. Still, worth every dime.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:11 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife and I did Icefields Parkway last year and had a wonderful time. We spent 5 days in Canada and everyone we met along the way was very friendly.

Make sure you do your homework though regarding any past indiscretions. There are several things that may cause them to refuse your admission into Canada. There is quite a bit of good information on the CBSA web site. It would be a bummer to plan a great trip only to be told you're not welcome.

As said earlier, don't even think about taking any guns with you. Also be careful about mace and pepper spray which are also illegal. We were stopped at the border in Portal, as was everyone without a Canadian ID, while they ran a quick check on us. The agent apparently saw that I had a CHL and simply asked me again if I had any weapons and I said no. That was the end of it and he handed back our passports while saying "welcome to Canada and have a nice trip".

Old 01-19-2017, 03:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Just got the confirmation email that my passes will be sent to me in 4 to 6 weeks. Have passport will travel!

Old 01-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,306 Likes on 1,907 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the parks. My wife, Kim and I will be riding up to Kaslo in late July.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:26 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
Thanks for the heads up on the parks. My wife, Kim and I will be riding up to Kaslo in late July.
Nice. If you camping look up Toad Rock Campground just south of Kaslo.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Marked Wayne
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reminder, just ordered my free passes from the Parks Canada website:

http://www.commandesparcs-parksorder...et/en/parksb2c
Thanks for this, done.

And to all the naysayers. I'm an expat living in Canada, from Missouri. I've ridden all of the lower 48. Well, obviously not all of it, but I've hit all of the lower 48 and have ridden a good portion of the "classic" rides and plenty off the beaten track as well. I promise you, you don't know what you're missing when it comes to riding BC. It's a different feel and worth the extra fuel, food, and any other items deemed essentials. One of the things that really stands out to me besides the stunning landscape and friendly Canadians is the lack of billboards at every turn (and much fewer people). To that point, I am a little concerned that the parks will be a little too busy for my tastes this season with the free passes. Hopefully not, I intend to find out.

Quick Reply: Touring North of the US Border in 2017