Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Skyline dr. to New River Gorge WV advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:35 PM
LOBOY72
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Skyline dr. to New River Gorge WV advice

I posted this in N.E. section also. The wife and I are gonna ride Skyline drive north to south in June. Thinking of rolling over to the New River Gorge from Waynesboro. Any thoughts on a good route? Also gonna need some good riding from there north back to PA. Hotels and motels info would be appreciated too along with anything else we should see.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Hwy 33 W just north of Waynesboro is a good ride. I took it to Elkins, then south on 219 to Lewisburg. The next day I did NRG. 250 is a nice ride as well. I have only been on part of it. They say there is not a bad road in WV. If you take the road down to the river, be careful going down. There are switchbacks with a pretty good drop in elevation. The road out is not bad.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:44 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by LOBOY72
I posted this in N.E. section also. The wife and I are gonna ride Skyline drive north to south in June. Thinking of rolling over to the New River Gorge from Waynesboro. Any thoughts on a good route? Also gonna need some good riding from there north back to PA. Hotels and motels info would be appreciated too along with anything else we should see.

Thanks in advance
Not sure of how much freeway you're willing to ride but if I was making that trip, I'd take I-64 (west) out of Waynesboro, VA to RT 60 (west), which is a scenic ride until you reach RT 19 and you're then very near the New River Gorge Bridge.
Beckley and Fayetteville are south and Summersville is north on RT 19.
Beckley is the largest town so if you're planning on going there I'd recommend that you stay on I-64 (west).
I've stayed at the Quality Inn in Beckley many times and they are on what I call "restaurant and motel row", and they have bar/lounge on site. Their an older motel and their rates are usually a bit lower than he Holiday Express which also has a lounge.
Summersville has a LaQuinta motel, located adjacent to a Bob Evans restaurant and there's also a Mexican restaurant within walking distance across the mall parking lot.
Be sure to get a state map or study your GPS well.
There are some neat roads (one even runs under the bridge) to cruise but be careful as they are very narrow and curvy.
If you have time you may want to take a tour of Hawk's Nest Park.

RT19 (north) will take you a more scenic route out of Summersville (RT's 41/15/55 (n/e) to hookup to RT's 219/250 that runs through MD into PA.

Just a word of caution about MD.
If you "carry" they don't allow it.
Be sure to follow proper procedure regarding transporting through that state.

Be safe, have fun, and let us know how you enjoyed your trip.

The following users liked this post:
LOBOY72 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 05:48 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

US 60 between charleston Hawks Nest is a great ride. But as others have said all the roads are good in WV

Old 01-03-2017, 06:02 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Be careful in the small towns like Gauley Bridge WV, the speed limit drops to 20-25 mph and they will give you a ticket for 5 over.
Enjoy the roads, there are some beautiful ones to ride.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Hwy 33 W just north of Waynesboro is a good ride. I took it to Elkins, then south on 219 to Lewisburg. The next day I did NRG. 250 is a nice ride as well. I have only been on part of it. They say there is not a bad road in WV. If you take the road down to the river, be careful going down. There are switchbacks with a pretty good drop in elevation. The road out is not bad.
I can't wait for my trip in June. We're gonna take 219 all the way from NY (Olean). Staying at a cabin in Germany Valley and plan to ride that whole area for a few days. Then we're making our way up past Harrisburg, PA to Steel Steeds campground in Milton. Stayed there several times over the years and Bob (owner) is a hell of a guy.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:51 PM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

39 is a great road to ride if you like getting deep in the woods. Like has been said already lots of good options. Way to many to be on the Interstate for any amount of time at all. 19 or 119 either one are great northern routes to get ya back to PA....If you get a chance stop in at Pies and Pints in Fayetteville, you wont regret it. Great gourmet pizza and craft beers.

The following users liked this post:
LOBOY72 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 06:52 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Consider purchase of MADMAPS...the virginia, west virginia, maryland, delaware map.
This is in ONE nice foldable map that is labeled as above.
The ONE map will show the most scenic routes in those areas.
I have used that map in your suggested route and it was very helpful.
That map, google earth to preview route and this forum allowed me to create a rather scenic ride composed of mostly back roads.
Consider purchase and review of map and then return for suggestions.
Routes to take, places to stay and things to see are sometimes related to your time allowance...hours, a day, a couple of days, a week etc.
For example 140-180 miles of scenic back roads with tourist stops can make for a very busy and long day (9am to 6pm) when riding two-up.
Just as a suggestion consider review of youtube for the FREE New River Gorge ride down under the bridge, across over the river and up the other side..It starts at New River Gorge visitor center and can be rather fun and helps to understand how difficult it was to cross river a long time ago..There was a motorcycle group that did a video a while back at that location.
Many folks do not know the West Virginia quarter has the New river Gorge bridge on it.
Also note that Beckley has a coal mine museum and they do a coal mine ride/tour at about $20 per person...going to Beckley and not seeing the coal mine is basically missing the reason for town existence.
Another example most people do not know about the fancy Greenbrier Hotel near white sulfur springs and the cold war secret bunker..hotel gives a pre-arranged tour for about $35 per person. It must be reserved well in advance. Rather pricey but it is interesting and it does get you on the hotel grounds to walk about..
People drive past front hotel gate and the small oddly placed train station across the street from gate daily and do not think about its purpose (Hint : to get out of DC and to bunker safety fast)..They make you park motorcycle at train station lot that is just across the street from Hotel Gate security..It was a nice stop for our ride, took pre-arranged timed tour and then walked grounds to lunch at the golf course restaurant.
The Natural Bridge in Natural Bridge, Virginia was another stop..about a 2 hour stop...walk along the water, looked at rock bridge from below..consider read-up on it...it was like $20 USA dollars to stop and see it before but i think it became a state park so the price is now something like $10 USA dollars per person to see it from below.
If you are using a GPS and something like HDrideplanner for your route...remember that your GPS reads only beginning and end points. does not matter what map looks like on computer the GPS itself will recalculate for time/distance. You must add waypoints at about 15 waypoints per segment if you want it to follow your route and prevent it from recalculating for time/distance.
So divide rides in segments to avoid heartache.
Then check computer map against route inside GPS unit.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:52 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
I can't wait for my trip in June. We're gonna take 219 all the way from NY (Olean). Staying at a cabin in Germany Valley and plan to ride that whole area for a few days. Then we're making our way up past Harrisburg, PA to Steel Steeds campground in Milton. Stayed there several times over the years and Bob (owner) is a hell of a guy.
well, didn't know 219 went that far down, good to know

Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by kel03
well, didn't know 219 went that far down, good to know
Yeah it goes quite far. I've never ridden it further than central PA though so this will be a first taking it into WV. Hopefully the pavement is good!

Quick Reply: Skyline dr. to New River Gorge WV advice