Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

PA Rt 11/15 Camp Hill area

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default PA Rt 11/15 Camp Hill area

Last summer I tried to go through Camp Hill, on PA Rt 11/15, on my way to New York State. If I remember correctly, somewhere between Camp Hill and Duncannon, the road was closed off for construction. I had to detour and of course got lost for a short time.

Next summer I am going to go on a similar trip, and was wondering whether the roads are fixed yet around Camp Hill/Marysville following the Susquehanna river. I want to get to Allenwood on Route 15.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:23 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I came through there not to long ago and there was no detour

The following users liked this post:
Sandcrab (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Hey Frank --- Take 81 north over across the Susquehanna, and follow the signs for 322 west to Lewistown & State College. There are no lights on that route, and it runs parallel to 11/15, but on the other side of the river. It hits 15 again, north of Marysville. A MUCH better ride than that section of 11/15 that you're talking about. I know exactly where you mean.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks, I will do as you suggested. Last summer I rode up to PA on the other side, when I saw the "Road Closed" signs, and had to turn around and go south, again. If I had known the road was closed, I would have taken the other side of the river. Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:55 PM
shrydog
Cruiser
Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

That work was completed in about 60 days and has been reopened. They were installing chain link fence along the face of the mountain to retain the boulders that break off periodically. Is Allenwood your final destination this time or on to New York again? If you're not in a hurry, there are much better roads from the Camp Hill/Carlise area to Allenwood.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by shrydog
That work was completed in about 60 days and has been reopened. They were installing chain link fence along the face of the mountain to retain the boulders that break off periodically. Is Allenwood your final destination this time or on to New York again? If you're not in a hurry, there are much better roads from the Camp Hill/Carlise area to Allenwood.

Frank, shrydog's right about that. 74 up out of Carlisle's a great ride. Hills, and a few hairpin turns. 74 to 75 to 322 west for about a mile, then 35 to 235 up to 522 to Selinsgrove, and back onto 15. Depends on how much time you have. Might add another hour to your trip to go that way, but it's a nice ride.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Frank, shrydog's right about that. 74 up out of Carlisle's a great ride. Hills, and a few hairpin turns. 74 to 75 to 322 west for about a mile, then 35 to 235 up to 522 to Selinsgrove, and back onto 15. Depends on how much time you have. Might add another hour to your trip to go that way, but it's a nice ride.
I will look at this as I plan my ride. Here is what I was planning:
My plan was to ride out of MD/DC on the beltway, picking up 83N through York/Harrisburg.

I normally get off I-83 where it swings to the right to cross the river. I continue straight and end up on PA 581. I go west, but not too far, and take an exit that reads to Rt 11/15. That takes me through some traffic lights, but I end up at the river, and I turn left and follow the river north. I cross over I-81 and continue along the river on Rt-15, through Marysville which is such a peaceful ride. I continue on through Selingsgrove, stop for a taste freeze. I stay on Rt-15 through Bucknell to Allenwood. I turn left on I-44 and follow it up over the hill, to Jersey Shore. There's an Italian restaurant there and if the time is right, I stop for a bite to eat. If not, I continue on Rt 44 and then Rt 144, again a great ride to Wellsboro.

I am going to commute out of Wellsboro for a couple of days. I plan to ride Rt 120 through Renovo, Rt 414 and Rt 287, RT 6 to Mt Jewet to walk the Kinzua Skywalk. I plan to go to Benzette hopefully to see the elk and finally ride the Tioga Central Railroad Sunset dinner ride. I am formulating my rides for each day, and then my turn by turn.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,246 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Just north of the Clark's Ferry bridge is my favorite drive in Restaurant, the Red Rabbit. They still have car hops, the best burgers, and my favorite ham BBQ sandwiches. I grew up in Central pa, and many times went there with my wife ( girl friend, the fiancé at time).

http://www.redrabbitdrivein.com/Red_...n/Welcome.html

Old 01-13-2017, 10:56 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Just looked at your suggestion, and it looks like it could be a nice ride. I do have one question, and that is once you get onto 35, why not follow it all the way to Selinsgrove.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Just looked at your suggestion, and it looks like it could be a nice ride. I do have one question, and that is once you get onto 35, why not follow it all the way to Selinsgrove.

You can do 35 too. Both are nice rides, and they hit 15 in Selinsgrove within a mile or 2 of each other. Doesn't matter which way you go. I've been on them both. 235 is kind of a nice little ride between 35 & 522 that goes through some twisties & Amish country, but 35 all the way up is a nice ride too.

Quick Reply: PA Rt 11/15 Camp Hill area