Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bypass Salt Lake

Old 01-09-2017, 01:31 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,073 Likes on 2,055 Posts
Default Bypass Salt Lake

I usually head down I15 from Canada to our place in Arizona. Just south of Beaver Utah I cut across to 89 to Page, Flagstaff and then to Prescott.

Is there a nice way of bypassing Salt Lake City? I'm tired of riding through the traffic there.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:21 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by lmar
I usually head down I15 from Canada to our place in Arizona. Just south of Beaver Utah I cut across to 89 to Page, Flagstaff and then to Prescott.

Is there a nice way of bypassing Salt Lake City? I'm tired of riding through the traffic there.
I dislike riding through SLC, too...but love the rest of Utah. If you have the time, try a ride I took last summer. When you get to I-90 at Butte head east to US 287 and ride that south through Ennis, Montana and on to West Yellowstone, Montana and then Montpelier, Idaho, Evanston, Wyo. and through Park City, Utah. Don't have a map in front of me right now but you'll see what I did to keep heading to southern Utah from Park City. Beats the heck out of the interstate and SLC, but may add a day to your journey. Not that that's a bad thing.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:58 PM
Cab Lizzard
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

HWY 20 at West Yellowstone to Hwy 33 Sugar City ID to Wilson Wy 191 to Hoback Junction. Take 89 down the canyon right next to the snake river to Alpine Wy then Hwy 16 to Randolph Ut and on to Evanston WY. Take Hwy 150 out of Evanston to Kamas Ut. Then 189 to Heber City Ut 189 down Provo Canyon to Provo Ut both on I-15 to Spanish Fork Ut take Hwy 6 to Birdseye and South on Hwy 89 .
A ride you will never forget ............
Note 150 out of Evanston is closed for the winter and they try to get the road open for Memorial Day.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 PM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Cab Lizard gave you a good ride, don't live there anymore but lived in Evanston for almost 20 years and have rode those roads a lot, good riding, if your in the Evanston are around meal time, try out either Suds Brothers "brew pub and grill" in downtown Evanston, or Kelly's Roadhouse in Morgan Utah, both good places to eat and relax for a bit. You could also follow his south out of Evanston directions, but shorten the Northern entrance by looking at either turning southeast in Logan Ut or Ogden Utah and heading to Evanston from there. Real good riding from either of those towns to Evanston. You'd take Hiway 39 out of Ogden and go over Monte Christo, or 165 south out of Logan, which will take you to 39, cant go wrong on any of those routes. At Huntsville Utah there is also a good place, Shooting Star Bar and Grill, its the oldest bar in Utah

Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 PM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the suggestions. I'll look at what has been suggested so far. It would be nice to bypass Salt Lake City.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

0300 hours at 80mph

Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Salt Lake traffic isn't that bad, I just make sure I have a full tank at Brigham City and hit the HOV lane all the way to Spanish Fork, or wherever it ends. I'll usually take highway 6 at Spanish Fork and then 89 all the way into AZ.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 AM
lmar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by slhanks4
Salt Lake traffic isn't that bad, I just make sure I have a full tank at Brigham City and hit the HOV lane all the way to Spanish Fork, or wherever it ends. I'll usually take highway 6 at Spanish Fork and then 89 all the way into AZ.
I seem to always hit Salt Lake during the rush hours 🙂

Old 01-18-2017, 11:19 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I seem to always hit Salt Lake during the rush hours 🙂
Well, there's that. I try to schedule my trips across major urban areas (Dallas, LA, Denver, etc) so I'm not there during rush hours. I grew up in Salt Lake City and learned to drive there, so maybe I'm immune? I dunno...

Old 01-18-2017, 11:31 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Both Cab_Lizzard's and Wyoming55's suggestions are great rides. If you have to make a definite plan, I would probably go with Cab_Lizzard's route.

If you want, hit me up (PM) when you are coming through, I might come ride a couple few hours with you if you want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bypass Salt Lake