Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need suggestions info on key west

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 AM
flash1964
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need suggestions info on key west

A buddy and our wives are planning a trip. We want to fly into Fort Lauderdale rent a motorcycle and ride to key west.

Does anyone have any suggestions or input on where to rent and where to stay? Prob will be 4-5 day trip Sun-Thur as flight days.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Well you can rent from Petersons Harley or Eagle Rider I usually stay and base out of homestead and ride across 41 thru the Everglades over to the Gulf side. Make a day ride down to keywest and spend the night

The following users liked this post:
flash1964 (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Flying into Fort Lauderdale is perfect. I rented from Chesters HD and they were top notch and very flexible on pick up and drop off times. Had my bike ready when I got there and was on the rode 30 minutes later. Their location is perfect for a trip to the keys, all country roads from there place to the top of keys via 27 to 997. I ride to key west every year and much prefer Islmirada over key west for any stay but key West is is a must visit for at least a day.
If you are bringing the wives along check out Post Card Inn at Islmirada as a great place to stay a night or two.

Last edited by Lotaluck; 01-11-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:58 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

We were there in Oct and found a great little place in Islamorada we really liked, not fancy but nice, reasonably priced with immaculate grounds. The Drop Anchor Resort and Marina is right on the ocean with a great view. Doesn't have a beach but does have a pool and it was under $100 a night during the week. It's within walking distance was the Hog Heaven bar and grille with good food reasonable prices and a great location. I will definitely be staying there again.

Also if they offer an option for a toll transponder, take it. I didn't with the rental car and received a $2.57 toll plus a $60 administrative fee from the rental company.

Attached Thumbnails Need suggestions info on key west-img_20161023_142512488.jpg   Need suggestions info on key west-img_20161023_162240330.jpg   Need suggestions info on key west-img_20161023_162247962.jpg  

Last edited by rizzo; 01-11-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

The Key West run is a very popular run.
It comes-up in the forum several times a year.
Information provided is a little limited.
Do you mean: fly into Florida Sunday and fly out of Florida Thursday?
Is Sunday a motorcycle day? Is Thursday a motorcycle day?
The trip from Ft Lauderdale to Key West is 4.5 hours with zero stops, that is no stops at all, no food, no gas, no bathroom break.
For example is this during the winter, spring or summer?
Key west has numerous events during the year and hotel rates double during those events so keep that in mind during planning.
What are your needs and wants?
For example: some folks just want to ride to Key West and that is it..others want to tour the route.
Keep in mind that a rental is about $175-$190 dollars a day with insurance and taxes.
Also think about alternative airports:
for example: Ft Myers (renting at Six Bends Harley). Airport is rather close to the Harley store. Pick-up bike. Take a ride east from Ft Myers dealer to pick-up route 29 south to Tamiami Trail/41 EAST and then Krome/997 south would make for a rather scenic ride on the way to/from the keys..Obviously this is for daytime only.
When you get of route 29 there are a few stops of 15-20 minutes of interest(scenic/historical/nature) that are FREE along that route of Tamiami Trail/41 as you go east...there is also a rather neat airboat ride on the north side of the road along Tamiami Trail that is on indian territory (near Value Jet memorial) almost near krome/997.
That is the best airboat...again it is on indian territory so they have different rules.
That route described will have the least amount of Highway.
or if you need speed then note on google earth how route 29 also allows you to get on/off I-75 (alligator alley).
The alligator alley route that has NO alligators and is a high speed toll road is about a 56 mile stretch from route 29 to US27.
US27 meets with krome/997 south route to start of the Keys.
The alligator alley/I-75 to route 29 can be done on the return route in my opinion.
Such a route would allow you to fly in Sunday... start your trip..It will take about 10 hours to reach Key West because of sight seeing, meals etc from Ft Myers.
So split the trip in the middle and overnight someplace in Homestead or the start of the Keys like marathon.
You might of decided to eat some stone crabs along the river in Everglades city just off route 29 and Tamiami Trail (41) at City Seafood (read about Everglade City history online as many people in that town got arrested in the 80's), do some stops like Joanies Blue crab Cafe (have a soda and see pictures in bathroom), stop at FREE alligator viewing area along Tamiami(41), take an airboat ride. Then get started on Monday by 10am and enjoy a scenic ride with several stops on the way to Key West with an arrival of about 3pm-4pm in Key West depending on stops.
Arrive in Key West proper, park bikes and forget them.
Go see famous Mallory square sunset and maybe walk to eat at Schooner Warf (sleep in key west),
Relax Tuesday and see Key west as you walk about Famous Duval street and consider a sunset sail cruise and overnight again,
Ride Back Wednesday to Ft Myers the faster krome/997 to US27 to I-75(alligator alley) to route 29 north to store.
Keep in mind there is an unusual town called Ave Marie just off route 29 between I-75(alligator alley) and Ft Myers.
Read about the town since it seems the Domino's pizza guy and Barron Collier folks seemed to have gotten together to make this town in the middle of the Everglades.
The town is rather pretty but if you do not read about it then it really makes no sense.
The church is rather impressive inside and out.
Ave Maria stop makes for a nice break during your ride and church has bathrooms inside at rear right hall corner.
A tavern is just across the side street.
The church is rather neat and looks like a Pope's hat.
Arrive in Ft Myers that wednesday night for dinner/overnight and return bike Thursday morning.
Fly home Thursday
Here is a link from search function of forum regarding Key west:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...-key-west.html

Last edited by im; 01-11-2017 at 08:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
flash1964 (01-12-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

The Chesters Harley Davidson changed names and is now called Alligator Alley Harley Davidson.
It is located a few miles northeast of Alligator Alley/I-75 east/west corridor.
That location would allow you to avoid highways as you ride west to US27, then south on krome/997 until the start of the Keys.
Chesters or Ft Myers would probably be the best choices if you will use a taxi or Uber to store.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 AM
flash1964
Advanced

Thanks for the commits lots of good info. We plan on going latter part of march after time change.
Looked at Ft Myers, flights are Mon-Fri. Does HOG membership give discounts on rental, how much?

Probilly looking at 2day rental, flight in late, leaves out early.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Curt5811
Road Captain
Received 175 Likes on 118 Posts

The wife and I stayed at a place called The Marker - Key West. A little pricey ($360 a night), it was once in a life time (?) splurge. Well worth it.

There is so much in Key West, it's hard to make this brief.

We ate dinner at Conch Republic Seafood, within walking distance on the marina walk from The Marker. If you like seafood, ask for the royal red shrimp (their name). It's not on the menu, you have to ask for it.

Visit Mallory Square for the sunset, and for the street performers. Watch out for the chickens running around everywhere. Literally everywhere. Don't hurt 'em, they're protected. There's a Cuban restaurant called El Meson de Pepe. Excellent food.

The Hemingway House is worth seeing, so is Sloppy Joe's Bar on Duval St.

Last edited by Curt5811; 01-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,996 Likes on 1,844 Posts

I would get the bikes first thing Monday-head to Key West[Book a room now] [we stay at The Blue Marlin] and spend 2 nights there--head back to Ft Lauderdale Wednesday mid morning. It takes about 6 hrs to get there--enjoy the ride --spend evenings on Duval street and Mallory Square--try a sunset cruise[worth it]====hope the weather is on your side----you wont be disappointed---Rocker

Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 PM
flash1964
Advanced

Thanks for all the great info, plans are to fly into Ft Myers rent and ride down. Where are good places to stay for around $100 per nite in the keys. Most places I've seen are 250-400

Thanks again for the info. We can't wait ready to go today!

Quick Reply: Need suggestions info on key west