Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Dallas to Glacier National Park and Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:13 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Dallas to Glacier National Park and Sturgis

Planning this years ride. We are in Dallas and have been wanting to do a ride to the Glacier National Park in Montana. A couple of the guys also want to hit Sturgis again, so this is the compromise.

We trailer to Sturgis before the rally starts (1,000 miles), leaving the truck and trailer at a quiet campground and hop on the bikes for the 650 mile haul to GNP. Ride and camp through the mountains then back down to Sturgis for the second half of the week. Load the bikes back on the trailer and drive home ready for work on Monday.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Dallas to Glacier National Park and Sturgis-img_0648.jpg  

Last edited by bradleys; 01-14-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:15 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

GNP to me one of the most beautiful places in the country. You won't regret it as far as I'm concerned

Old 01-14-2017, 09:23 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

With this year's precip, GNP might have a short season this year. Take pics and post 'em up!

The following users liked this post:
bradleys (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 09:59 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

I took a lot of pics at GNP look great but pics don't do it justice. It's a must see kind of place.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:03 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Going to The Sun Road. Looking east
I like to ride it from the Eastside heading west . Less traffic. Great spot.
There is a National Park Pass $80 annual for 2 bikes and passengers. It will get you into the Badlands also,other wise $25 fee per bike at each park.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:53 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 on the pass. If you plan on visiting national parks. It's a must. It pays for itself if there are two of you it pays for itself real fast. On one trip we took out west we visited so many parks it was paid for so fast it was great pulling up to the gate and showing the card.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:18 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleys
Planning this years ride. We are in Dallas and have been wanting to do a ride to the Glacier National Park in Montana. A couple of the guys also want to hit Sturgis again, so this is the compromise.

We trailer to Sturgis before the rally starts (1,000 miles), leaving the truck and trailer at a quiet campground and hop on the bikes for the 650 mile
haul to GNP. Ride and camp through the mountains then back down to Sturgis for the second half of the week. Load the bikes back on the trailer and drive home ready for work on Monday.

Thoughts?

I'd say you've got a fine plan going there. Since you're camping, take a look at Two Medicine Lake Campground in GNP. I suspect it's about 650 from Sturgis. I camped there 2 years ago and it's amazing. Apagar on the west side is good too, but busier. You've allowed plenty of time before you head back to Sturgis so you can consider side trips. Waterton, Alberta is a neat little town and nice ride just over the border. Besides The Sun Road, your group might like a ride over to Whitefish to ride the high speed quad that takes you to the top of the mountain for some great views into GNP. You folks are in for an unforgettable time.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Looks like a good plan. I did GNP a couple of years ago after Sturgis. Beautiful place. I camped the first night at a KOA on the east side. It got pretty chilly that night and I have a pretty good sleeping bag. Campground was like $38. I had a cabin reserved in West Glacier the next two nights for $40. I rode across the border just to say I did. Nice little town. Cost like $10 to enter. It was like it was a NP or something. No problem crossing the border, it just took a while getting into Canada as they were checking one group pretty good. Pictures turned out good, but as others said, they just don't do it justice. There were a lot of fires in WA and OR and there was a lot of smoke.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 AM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 47 Posts

The guys are concerned about the number of days so I have modified the plan a little bit.

Friday after work, we trailer to Sturgis and arrive Saturday morning. We enjoy the rides and a few concerts.

Wednesday morning, we put the bikes back on the trailer and run to Yellow Stone NP. From there we can plan a loop North into Glacier National Park and back to Yellow Stone. Tuesday morning we load the bikes and make the haul back to Dallas.

That is basically 4 days in Sturgis and 5 days riding YS/GNP area.

More truck time than I would generally like, but we can cover a lot of ground quickly hauling the bikes.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

I would ride YS for two days, spend a day on each loop in both directions, and then ride to GNP, ride it a day and then back to YS the next day. Maybe that is your plan according to the days you have allotted.

Quick Reply: Dallas to Glacier National Park and Sturgis