Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

May, 2017

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 04:23 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,103 Likes on 8,920 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
You just have to keep an eye on the weather and plan to detour or hole up for a few days. From your journeys I know you have experience doing both
No kidding. What I did was to go to all the towns or cities on the route for the next few days in my Weather App on my iPhone. I would plot in a few routes and then watch the weather. By watching it, I switched over to 95 from 93 at Twin Falls Idaho, as I was not liking the look of the pass between Salmon, Idaho and Missoula, Montana.

As you can see, I am planning on a much longer ride this year than last. The one thing I missed this past summer was my Adventurer Tour riding gear. Klim Badlands jacket and pants, Shoei full coverage helmet and my Sigi Adventure boots. I dont think it would take any more time to pull off my leathers and put them on, than it would to just put my rain suit on over my leathers, and I know from experience, the Klim stuff is way more comfortable. Also, when the sun pops out, you dont have to take the rain gear off, just open some zippers to vent ..... So, I am taking all of it this year instead of my rain gear. That should make for better miles when it is wet, or cold.

It would have been nice to have it on the Wet Coast when I went down from Victoria to Astoria, in the Colorado Rocky Mountains a few times, and almost the entire ride back from Palm Springs in early October.

It is one more bag, but I think defiantly worth it, taking into account I will be doing a lot of Camping this summer.

Here is a pict of me two summers ago when I was heading out for several weeks on my GS.....

Here I am, all Klimed up in front of the old gas station on Mt Rainier. I am looking all .... German, not that there is anything wrong with that. If I wear all that gear on my ElectraGlide, I will be able to Speak very loudly and pretend I dont understand English.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:36 PM
texasbub
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speaking from experience, Big Bend in June will be miserable unless you prefer 90+ degree temps. The earlier in the year you get through there the better...just my 2 cents.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:27 AM
wjvins
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Reservations are required, if staying at Chisos Mtns. Lodge.

Also, excellent road from Lajitas to Big Bend following the Rio Grande.