Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First HD for cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:10 AM
jchd1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First HD for cross country trip

Just bought a 1994 FXLR for my daughter (long story) and plan to deliver to Santa Cruz, CA in May. This is the first H-D I've owned/rode but have done 2 cross country trips on BMWs (1975 R90S, 1998 K1200RS); I still ride the R90S.
So the local dealer is doing a 30K service and fixing base gasket leaks in preparation for trip. No other problems found so far. The plan is to do a northern route on 2 lane roads so I am seeking advice in two areas:
1. Potential routes, Canada OK.
2. Luggage (no bags, but have HD rack in back, solo Corbin seat)

Any information appreciated including maybe posting on a different forum. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails First HD for cross country trip-20161211_143034a.jpg  
Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

You're going to get about 300 miles a day comfortably on that bike---sounds fun--not much room for luggage[find hotels to do your laundry]enjoy,you never know when the opportunity will arrive again

Rocker

Old 01-28-2017, 06:36 PM
Nightsterroadtripper
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm planning a similar trip in northern route, headed to San Fran, I may head south first then hit mountain area on my way back since in early June it may be chilly still up in those mountains.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:08 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I95S, to I495S to I395S to I90W to I5S all 4 lane Interstate.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by jchd1
Just bought a 1994 FXLR for my daughter (long story) and plan to deliver to Santa Cruz, CA in May. This is the first H-D I've owned/rode but have done 2 cross country trips on BMWs (1975 R90S, 1998 K1200RS); I still ride the R90S.
So the local dealer is doing a 30K service and fixing base gasket leaks in preparation for trip. No other problems found so far. The plan is to do a northern route on 2 lane roads so I am seeking advice in two areas:
1. Potential routes, Canada OK.
2. Luggage (no bags, but have HD rack in back, solo Corbin seat)

Any information appreciated including maybe posting on a different forum. Thanks in advance.
My friend, you are going from Santa Cruz California to Maine I understand?

There are a bazillion really, really good roads. For 5 of the last 6 years I ride around the USA/Canada literally corner to corner (12K+miles) and it is hard to know where to start.

It is like I can say a few roads or I will go on and on for over 5 hours. Allow me to do my best to keep this short. (Especially since I am trying to spend less time on my computer. LOL)

The BEST part of the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) although it is south of Santa Cruz is between Carmel by the Sea and Big Sur if I remember correctly.

The sea to sky highway is excellent. When you leave Blaine Washington to go north to Whistler/Backcomb Mtn, in BC (British Columbia) is TOPS.

Whistler Village has a Hartry Potter like Diagon Allex that I love!!!

"Going To The Sun Road" in Glacier National Park is probably the #1 road I have ever been on. It is in Montana.

Chief Joseph highway in Cody Montana as well as Bear Tooth Pass in Montana are EXCELLENT (but dangerous) roads. Rte 212 and 296 and there abouts. You can google it easily.

I do not know where in Maine you live but if you enter it from Canada through Edmonton going south into Madawaska, Maine you will be in the northeast corner of the USA. There is the only 100% volunteer Harley Davidson Park in the world. Click HERE for the website. I can put you in contact with Joe and Diane LaChance who are the founders and he can give you a certificate signed by the governor and other people attesting to your being in the northeast corner. It is pretty cool.

Also when you go into this Park you can have your bike in front of a large high granite statue with you standing by your bike and have a picture. It is really cool!

There are a few places to eat on the way that I will not go by without stopping and eating there as well as a hotel in Seattle Washington called Cedarbrook Lodge. Rather pricey but I absolutely love that place because the rooms are all in cherry wood, there is a "living room" area where there are all kinds of free unbelievably tasting candies, chips, ice cream, and other things that truly are the best tasting foods for what they are.

Their breakfast is unbelievable in the dining is 5 star dining.

Anyways the above are just a few things…

Be very careful of beer tooth pass and highway in chief Joseph. Some bikers will not go there because it is pretty dangerous, the roads that is. How yup, very twisty, and no rails with over 1000 foot drops.

You can also go through the Sturgis area and see quite a few things there.

If I knew more of what you like maybe I could direct you a little bit more.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-29-2017, 11:31 AM
jchd1
6th Gear

4 lane Interstate may be the fastest but the least interesting. In my original post I mentioned my intention to stick to 2 lan roads whenever possible.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:35 AM
jchd1
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Nightsterroadtripper
I'm planning a similar trip in northern route, headed to San Fran, I may head south first then hit mountain area on my way back since in early June it may be chilly still up in those mountains.
The last trip (W to E) I did with my son in the month of July. I don't think there are any mountains in the UP of MI but it was still mighty cold.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:46 AM
jchd1
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
My friend, you are going from Santa Cruz California to Maine I understand? I am going from ME to Santa Cruz.

There are a bazillion really, really good roads. For 5 of the last 6 years I ride around the USA/Canada literally corner to corner (12K+miles) and it is hard to know where to start. I have done two x-country trips (last one 8k miles) on 2 lane roads but am still looking for suggestions.

It is like I can say a few roads or I will go on and on for over 5 hours. Allow me to do my best to keep this short. (Especially since I am trying to spend less time on my computer. LOL)

The BEST part of the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) although it is south of Santa Cruz is between Carmel by the Sea and Big Sur if I remember correctly. You should try going north from SF to Crescent City; it is spectacular and a lot less crowded. Then you can go to Crater Lake in Oregon, unbelievable.

The sea to sky highway is excellent. When you leave Blaine Washington to go north to Whistler/Backcomb Mtn, in BC (British Columbia) is TOPS.

Whistler Village has a Hartry Potter like Diagon Allex that I love!!!

"Going To The Sun Road" in Glacier National Park is probably the #1 road I have ever been on. It is in Montana. That is a great ride. We got stuck behind a slow moving RV that would never stop at the pull outs to let us by.

Chief Joseph highway in Cody Montana as well as Bear Tooth Pass in Montana are EXCELLENT (but dangerous) roads. Rte 212 and 296 and there abouts. You can google it easily.

I do not know where in Maine you live but if you enter it from Canada through Edmonton going south into Madawaska, Maine you will be in the northeast corner of the USA. There is the only 100% volunteer Harley Davidson Park in the world. Click HERE for the website. I can put you in contact with Joe and Diane LaChance who are the founders and he can give you a certificate signed by the governor and other people attesting to your being in the northeast corner. It is pretty cool. I live in southern Maine-about 7 hrs. ride from Madawaska-and will probably head over to NH and VT at the start. Could be an idea for a later trip but I'll be riding my R90S.

Also when you go into this Park you can have your bike in front of a large high granite statue with you standing by your bike and have a picture. It is really cool!

There are a few places to eat on the way that I will not go by without stopping and eating there as well as a hotel in Seattle Washington called Cedarbrook Lodge. Rather pricey but I absolutely love that place because the rooms are all in cherry wood, there is a "living room" area where there are all kinds of free unbelievably tasting candies, chips, ice cream, and other things that truly are the best tasting foods for what they are. Yum

Their breakfast is unbelievable in the dining is 5 star dining.

Anyways the above are just a few things…

Be very careful of beer tooth pass and highway in chief Joseph. Some bikers will not go there because it is pretty dangerous, the roads that is. How yup, very twisty, and no rails with over 1000 foot drops.

You can also go through the Sturgis area and see quite a few things there. If you haven't been to Badlands check it out. Better than Mt. Rushmore, try Wind Cave Park too, that is pretty neat.

If I knew more of what you like maybe I could direct you a little bit more.

BuzzCap7
Thanks for tips.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Nightsterroadtripper
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jchd1
The last trip (W to E) I did with my son in the month of July. I don't think there are any mountains in the UP of MI but it was still mighty cold.
yeah weather can be finicky up there because of the lake, last year in July it was in 50s-60s for 3-4 days in the UP.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:34 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Honestly, if I had a bike to deliver from ME to CA in May, I'd ship it via truck transport.
The month of May can be quite cold, wet (and even snowy) especially in higher elevations.

I-80 seems to be the most direct route and that's approximately 3300 miles.
If you average 45MPG's that's 73 gallons of fuel and at $3.00 per gallon that comes to about $ 200, and adding in motels, meals (and potential mechanical issues), this could be more expensive than shipping.

On the other hand, if you just want to ride...go for it!

Quick Reply: First HD for cross country trip