Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

KOA camping cabins

Old 02-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default KOA camping cabins

Anyone have much experience staying in the camping cabins at KOA? I have camped at many KOA's and like them but never stayed in a cabin at one. They do not provide linens which is kind of a pain, but I have a backpacking sleeping bag picked out on amazon for $20 which is small and lightweight.
We normally stay at hotels when on bike trips but we are thinking these would be low key..... our last few trips have had too many long nights making for a rough ride the next day.
I am kind of surprised the cost of the KOA cabins, even ones without a bathroom ho for $75 a night. I am already a KOA member and get a small discount. See the link below if you have never saw these cabins.

http://koa.com/ways-to-stay/camping-cabins/

Old 02-07-2017, 09:51 PM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

We've stayed in them , but it was at least 20 years ago .
They were ok . Clean & comfortable enough . Just like
any motel the condition is all according to who is running
it . Good luck .

Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 308 Likes on 197 Posts

Me and a buddy did the cabins a couple of years ago for two weeks in CO. We did have to haul a bag and pillow, but no tent or air mattress. We did the cabins since my buddy had a CPAP and needed the electricity. The cabins are OK. The mattresses are not that great. At least for the full size bed. My buddy took the bunk beds and doubled up the mattresses. He said that was OK. Motels would have been a good bit more expensive.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:13 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,355 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Stayed in the KOA in Moab, a couple of times. Cabins were nice. I used a sleeping bag and a pillow, on a bunk. Beat a tent. Ours had a bathroom, TV, fridge, table and chairs, a/c. As for towels, take one and one wash cloth....They have laundry.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:51 AM
Perry um
Tourer

Thanks for the advice, probably going to order a small packable sleeping bag. And a camping quick dry towel, I figure $40 now for those two and I should save that on the first trip.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:05 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,512 Likes on 6,270 Posts

For $75 you can stay at a Mom and Pop motel. I have had good luck with them, if I check Google/Yelp/Trip Advisor first.

If you do use the KOA cabins, please post a review.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:44 AM
george liles
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

They aren't bad at all, that's what 3 of us stay in when we do Sturgis every year since 2005. Out of the weather after being out all day riding and everything is dry all week long...

Old 02-08-2017, 07:51 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

prison mat on a wood surface...

they do rent mobile homes at most Koa now and them units are a major step up from the primitive\sheds that you are looking at.

I prefer the cost of my air bed and tent over the prison mat stayed at a few before I went back to tent\motel

Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Used them several times when the weather didn't work for a tent. I used my sleeping bag and camping pillow on their mattress. Some will have heat and/or A/C depending on the climate where they are located. If you're camping anyway, it's a definite upgrade over a tent especially with rain!

Mom & Pop motels are a pretty good choice, too, but look them over and where they are located. Some are nice and neat others, eh, not so much.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM
4D_Footer
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Stayed in KOA cabins in Harpers Ferry, WV. Not impressed. I look for state park cabins. Most times they offer full kitchens, in-cabin bathrooms, and linens for around the same price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KOA camping cabins