Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Nova Scotia

Old 02-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,619 Likes on 3,209 Posts

Originally Posted by kokemill
July 1 is Canada day, we happened into Fortress Louisbourg and it was fun to see the yearly enactment of their life. We missed the Halifax tattoo held near that time. Take the ferry from St. John to get to Halifax, not much in Moncton to see. It only costs to leave PEI so take the free ferry there and bridge back. If you have the cash make reservations at the Keltic lodge on the Cabot Trail, a cross between Yellowstone lodge and the grand hotel on mackinaw. Live music in pub and crawl to room. We saw whales(not common) there which saved me from a whale watching trip.

All the bakery items there come from a bakery on the north edge of Cheticamp - Aucoin..... they have good samwiches. Remember that the sport for locals is pulling out in front of bikes, most bikers vacationing there are (insert vugality here) on Goldwings riding about 20mph no matter the speed limit gawking at the scenery.

The closest we came to wildlife was when a moose ran along in the ditch with us where the Cabot trail crosses the highlands, based on observation I'd say moose top out around 50. i was enjoying the moment but the blond on the back was not as enthusiastic. Later I was like- why the love for whales and not moose?

Whales are much less likely to get in your way while you are riding.

The following users liked this post:
kokemill (02-13-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Get the book and Ft Louisbourg a must see - great trip - plan the ride with the water on the right - we spent 20 days and used the Ferry from St Johns over and back - caught the Waft Rat rally when we were there - you will really enjoy it and the people were great!!!!!!!!

If you use a GPS sometimes it wants to take you on gravel roads - just an FYI.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:45 PM
Peter Griffin
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

If you do the Cabot trail, on the north east part of the island look for the Coastal loop that brings you to White point. The section that follows the water is very scenic. Much better then the inland section.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:27 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

As others have rightly commented, Cabot Trail is a must when in our region. Some cautions apply.

Try to time your CT run with clear weather,,, or don't go. When the fog rolls in up there you can't see the road, never mind the scenery, moose and cars. Thick fog conditions are no joke on the Cabot Trail. The CT has 6-8 major construction / repair sections taking place this year which necessitate 1 way (alternating) traffic, and associated delays, in some sections and rotten road conditions in others. Though not a deal breaker as far as making the run goes, these are indeed a drag. Lastly, avoid riding the highlands section at dusk or night. That section of highway is good but narrow and moose are particularly thick there. Trees / shrubs line the highway and collisions with moose in the evening hours are too common.

I'm not out to turn you off the trip but knowing these things can make the difference between a spectacular ride and a miserable one. It should be relatively easy to pick a day/times which ensure a great experience.

The Keltic Lodge is a famous resort with top rated food and majestic setting. Its on a peninsula so do inquire about the short scenic hiking trail if you stay there. Fortress Louisbourg is a tourist reinactment/historical site. They will challenge you in french at the entrance. When you cannot respond in french they treat you to a short stint in the stockade. Its period costumes, settings, etc. . If you make it to Lunenburg, which is quite a distance from the Cabot Trail, be sure to take in the Fisheries Museum there. It is a surprisingly substantial tour with some interesting Canadian / American connections.

Never mind the Maine Lobster. Ours is better !

You'll love our Canadian / Maritime hospitality. We're always polite and screw any son-of-a-bitch that says otherwise !!

Last edited by HKMark23; 02-13-2017 at 11:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (05-09-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 12:40 PM
guitarhawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all very much for the tips. I will see which ones I can work into the schedule!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:24 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,586 Posts

On my "bucket list" is to return to NS (I was there in '80) and then on to NL and t take enough time to see more than I did when I was first there.

Either this year or next year but I think I want to get a Tri-Glide first.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:19 PM
rugerman63
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
On my "bucket list" is to return to NS (I was there in '80) and then on to NL and t take enough time to see more than I did when I was first there.

Either this year or next year but I think I want to get a Tri-Glide first.

i have one forsale 2012

Old 02-27-2017, 02:07 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by rugerman63
i have one forsale 2012
I know it's probably a nice one but I get my bikes on a five-year schedule and my last one is a '13 so the next one (and probably the last) has to be an '18.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2017, 04:20 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm heading that way late June into July. Can't wait. I'll be happy to share our itinerary with you. I see you're from New Orleans. I grew up in Marrero. Several of the guys I'm riding with are from your neck of the woods. One from Harvey, Terrytown, Kenner, and another recently moved to the North Shore.

We're catching Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park on the way up. Hopewell Rocks. Spending a day on PEI. Riding the Cabot Trail both directions if the weather is good. Whale watching on the Bay of Fundy. We're spending a night in Lunenburg. Another night in Yarmouth, then taking the ferry from there back to Portland.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:48 PM
guitarhawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
I'm heading that way late June into July. Can't wait. I'll be happy to share our itinerary with you. I see you're from New Orleans. I grew up in Marrero. Several of the guys I'm riding with are from your neck of the woods. One from Harvey, Terrytown, Kenner, and another recently moved to the North Shore.

We're catching Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park on the way up. Hopewell Rocks. Spending a day on PEI. Riding the Cabot Trail both directions if the weather is good. Whale watching on the Bay of Fundy. We're spending a night in Lunenburg. Another night in Yarmouth, then taking the ferry from there back to Portland.
Good to hear from a homeboy! I'm actually in Westwego. ******* unite!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nova Scotia