Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM
Star Commtrey
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I have no problem with the 30 mph limit on that road......FYI I am doing the Dragon...For all of those saying skip it, no. I do not care if it is not scenic. This is a ride I want to take.....we will have scenic rides, but I want to ride on a road that averages 30 curves per mile......I understand it is a challenge....I am doing the skyway and another ride or two.....I was looking for suggestions in addition to the Dragon.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Other Roads

Moonshiner 28
Foothills Parkway
Blue Ridge Parkway
The Snake 421
Hwy 11w-66-33-70-11w
Hwy 70 to Hot Springs and there are several good roads put of there including 209 that will take you over to I40.
They are not all "vista" roads...Some are just really twisty from point a to b.
Some of the vista roads will be Foothills Parkway, Cherohala, Blue Ridge Parkway, Hwy 19e over Roan Mountain, etc etc etc...

Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Star Commtrey
GPS??????? I will be on a bike.
Yes, some folks mount a GPS to the bar on their bikes.
Several mounts available to use a car GPS on a motorcycle.
From about $10 to $$$$$ for a mount.
Harley Davidson even has a website called HD Ride Planner that allows riders to create ride plans and to see them in both MAP and Satellite formats.
Those rides can be saved, shared and downloaded into a GPS.
That is why i mentioned waypoints and such because many riders forget and get very frustrated when the GPS does not follow their created route because the unit itself will recalculate for distance or time.
Even if you do not plan on using a GPS the Ride Planner is a rather neat tool to plan rides and print directions.
There are many things to see or possibly miss in that area and a little planning goes a long way.
The use of one of the maps mentioned before (Madmaps or America Rides) helps in planning.
So many people ride that area and never see the fugitive dam, ride across the Fontana Dam, Fail to Ride Moonshiner 28, Never ride the Cherohala and never see the water falls and generally just see Tail of the Dragon but miss the whole area.
I would ride the Tail of the Dragon in both directions but consider not making it the only highlight of your trip.
There is a heavy police presence in the Tail of the Dragon area and it is not someplace to ride beyond abilities.
Hanging your motorcycle parts on the tree of shame can hurt.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Star Commtrey
Tourer

Ahem.....when I ride like this, with the exception of getting to my hotel room.....GPS IS FORBIDDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Also, doing the Cherohala as soon as we do the Dragon

Old 02-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Scooterbear
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going during the holiday, forget the dragon. Went last year during a holiday and I could have walked the mountain quicker. The other routes were not busy, such as Cherhola.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Star Commtrey
Tourer

Not a holiday, just a weekend

Old 02-14-2017, 03:15 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

Something a lot of people don't know about. If you happen to loop around to the Harley dealer in maryville. They have a little BBQ restaurant back in the garage. Good food and have some suds. Prices are average.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,017 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by tmultra
Something a lot of people don't know about. If you happen to loop around to the Harley dealer in maryville. They have a little BBQ restaurant back in the garage. Good food and have some suds. Prices are average.
Yes they do,and on the weekends they have live music,if your only there for the weekend ,then just riding is what i would do-----there are many great rides in NC and Tn within the Smokies ,but you need more than 2 days to enjoy---just my 2cents worth-----if your with the wife take her to Robbinsville and stay at Riverside Treehouse Resort[its a dry county so bring in your adult bev]

Enjoy

Rocker

Old 02-14-2017, 05:54 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

I think Moon Shiner run is hands down better the the tail and the Shyway is also nice run

Old 02-14-2017, 06:26 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Star Commtrey
Ahem.....when I ride like this, with the exception of getting to my hotel room.....GPS IS FORBIDDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Also, doing the Cherohala as soon as we do the Dragon
All good.
Everyone has different ideas.
That is why sometimes folks come on the forum for suggestions.
Enjoy your time.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon