Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:07 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,627 Likes on 5,180 Posts

A photo from one of the places that take them maybe silly to some. But when you look back over a life time of riding together you will be happy you have them.
Pictures of their Aunt on the bike riding deals gap and many place help set a few nieces up to get out and take a few risk in life.
Hope your trip goes well and makes memories that last a life time.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:23 AM
PrkChps
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely agree on the professional photo. You get them off the internet after the trip. I have a great shot of me in a curve on the Dragon taken by Killboy. The print cost about $20. Worth every penny.

I understand the Dragon is a bucket list ride. I agree with the other statements that there are other less crowded roads nearby that offer just as good, if not better, experiences. Personally, I like the Snake. I think it is a better road with more elevation changes, and nowhere near the crowds. Now that I have done the Dragon, and have the photo, I go elsewhere. Have a great run.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:08 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I have been going to that area at least once a year for the last 9 years or so. There is so much to see. I find a new trail every year. It never gets old.

Dennis

Old 02-27-2017, 09:10 AM
Star Commtrey
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PrkChps
Definitely agree on the professional photo. You get them off the internet after the trip. I have a great shot of me in a curve on the Dragon taken by Killboy. The print cost about $20. Worth every penny.

I understand the Dragon is a bucket list ride. I agree with the other statements that there are other less crowded roads nearby that offer just as good, if not better, experiences. Personally, I like the Snake. I think it is a better road with more elevation changes, and nowhere near the crowds. Now that I have done the Dragon, and have the photo, I go elsewhere. Have a great run.
This^^^^^ This will be me....Get the tshirt and call it a day....We do plan that if we like this trip, it will become a yearly thing.

As of now, we will be six bikes deep heading that way....as word gets around our friends they are inviting themselves, which I in no way am not happy about...the more the merrier!!!! (Dragons pitt should be happy with me as I have had all but three of his rooms bought out....and if it keeps going this way, all of his rooms will be sold that night....)

Old 03-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Jumper1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Went last year. Plan to do again this summer. Lots of nice rides in the area. Many of which will bring you back thru the dragon. Hwy 28 "Moonshine 28" is a great ride. Cherahala, Bryson, Smokey Mtn National Park. Way to many to list or to do in just one trip. Had a blast.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:29 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Star Commtrey
Not a holiday, just a weekend
ewwwww
I would avoid the dragon on week end....far too crowded, with riders who think their skills are equal to, if not better than professional racers... and are under the delusion that the dragon, is their personal race track...which is why the police presence is needed.

Monday afternoon, to Friday, is the ideal time to ride the dragon (IMO) Killboy, 129 photo, and others are there to take pictures , the store is open for your swag, and you get to enjoy the road, without worrying that a swarm of angry bees, will decide to pass you inside and outside in a curve

Cherhola, NC-28(Hellbender) are a nice part of a loop with he dragon.
There is a waterfall loop in the area as well, and the "snake" US-421 isn't that far away...Diamond back, devil's staircase, and a few thousand equally "fun" roads, with fancy names, or t-shirt sales

Old 03-07-2017, 07:06 AM
R BEE
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ride in the end of March planned

What can be expected for weather are the roads open in the mountains?
From Vermont were it was 0 degrees just yesterday .
I understand chance of rain just wondering temps end of March beginning of April?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,994 Likes on 1,659 Posts

SOOOoooo many good roads in Tenn/NC... Been twice, itching to go back.
Have to do the Dragon once if you haven't done it. Like others have said :
Cherohala
Upper and Lower 28
BRP
NC 209/The Rattler, similar to Dragon but less crowded.
Enjoy !

Old 03-07-2017, 02:41 PM
CLinKnox
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TN Weather

Originally Posted by R BEE
What can be expected for weather are the roads open in the mountains?
From Vermont were it was 0 degrees just yesterday .
I understand chance of rain just wondering temps end of March beginning of April?
R BEE, I'm originally from VT and now live in Knoxville. Roads don't get closed down here too often. The road going between Gatlinburg and Cherokee (US 441) will be closed for snow a few times in the winter because the elevation at the top is >5,000 ft. The weather in Mar-Apr should be low 60s. Normally good riding weather although the green may not all be back yet.

The following users liked this post:
R BEE (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:23 PM
RavenOnCa
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Star Commtrey
GPS??????? I will be on a bike.
Hey, if you haven't gotten one for you bike..its well worth the investment. Great way to find close gas stations and food stops.

We rode from Ontario, came all the way down the Blue Ridge to The Dragon, and if it werent for the GPS, we would of been pushing the bike. Signage isn't that great down there...and if you don't know where to jump on and off, its a lonnnnnnng way between gas stations.

Hope you enjoy the Dragon btw, we also stayed at the Dragon Inn and BBQ. Nothing fancy, but was clean and quiet. He has a full BBQ pit there and couple little shops to buy trinkets if need be. Just a warning though...its a dry township...you have to ride into Marysville to buy a beer!!! ENJOY

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon