Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Got my last trip cancelled due to a legal issue to travel to the US

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Some stuff never goes away; or the cost of it. Especially true for those killed by drunk drivers or their loved ones.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 02-15-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Brick0044
Mine was in 1991 and it showed up. It is a f'n joke that if you pay a fee you are no longer a risk.
Guess i'll just stay in the U.S. then

Old 02-14-2017, 08:57 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Really, if DUI was a one time thing, shouldn't be a problem, multiple, absolutely. Now if you're a NBA star, movie star, with a rap sheet, all is ok.........different rules for the elite !

Old 02-15-2017, 02:48 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,605 Likes on 5,173 Posts

Wait a minute did Canada just say on the news they will take anyone.
I knew they had an issue with DUI convection. An employee of the company I worked for was denied entry for that reason some time back. Never heard of The US stopping someone from coming in because of it.
Lesson learned I guess if you going to drive don't drink.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:11 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I'd like to loop the lakes. But I have a felony for aggravated assault. I think someone said it's 1200 bucks for me to get a waiver. The felony was in 1993. Never been in trouble since. Only took one trip to prison. I was corrected. I like my freedom.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:26 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I also think it can be a crap shoot at the border whether you get into Canada or not. A couple years ago one of my nephews got married in Montreal. His younger brother who had a previous DUI wanted to attend and the family was aware of the possibility he would be turned away at the border but decided to try it anyway. For whatever reason he was allowed to enter Canada with no questions asked about his DUI. I'm not sure how often that happens but it worked well in his case.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:22 AM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

That is crazy stupid. Won't let you in over a dui yet Mexicans come in by the thousands and we give them free money free food housing assistance and a drivers license. How messed up is that?

The following users liked this post:
IAmWoody (03-21-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 08:04 AM
rollonfreebird
Tourer
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Canada has been doing this for years, try going up there with anything on your record, but it's such a bad thing when the us starts doing it, fortunately, I have no problem getting into Canada, have to go there about 5 times a year, I like going there, mostly Ontario, never had any issues, I get drilled more at the us side coming back

Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 AM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KJB
I also think it can be a crap shoot at the border whether you get into Canada or not. A couple years ago one of my nephews got married in Montreal. His younger brother who had a previous DUI wanted to attend and the family was aware of the possibility he would be turned away at the border but decided to try it anyway. For whatever reason he was allowed to enter Canada with no questions asked about his DUI. I'm not sure how often that happens but it worked well in his case.
Yes a crapshoot for sure.Going either way. A lot has to do with the booth guard . With a DUI and a couple of minor drug convictions I had been crossing over for years with no problem . Was even pulled over twice checked out and still allowed over to the US.
Then I go over with a woman who at the time I had no idea she had been convicted of fraud over $5000 and yet still hadn't paid restitution as a part of her conviction. They told me I could have been trying to harbour a fugitive, sneak her out of the country to help her escape without paying it plus your convictions It is a large amount she still owed. That's when they tell me "don't even make a wrong turn and accidently try to cross , you will be arrested and your vehicle confiscated without an entry waiver. And no I don't see her anymore.

Last edited by skeetz; 02-15-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,928 Likes on 2,568 Posts

A crap shoot for sure, heard lots of no problem stories and lots of stories when guys got turned back, for stuff that happened over 30 years ago. Not sure the rhyme or reason. Crossed near Niagara about 5 years ago, after establishing I had no weapons with me (on the bike) we then had a ten minute conversation about the guns I owned??!!?!? Very strange but I got in. Same trip the US people gave my buddy a hard time at the Vermont border. They were surprised he got into Canada with everything on his record. The border is a strange place for sure.

Quick Reply: Got my last trip cancelled due to a legal issue to travel to the US