Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Got my last trip cancelled due to a legal issue to travel to the US

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Now that i think about it, my step son had a dui, and other drinking violations, and went to Niagara falls this past summer, on the Canadian side, hmm,

Old 02-15-2017, 09:19 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No wonder all of the people that said if Trump won they would move to Canada didn't go. They are all a bunch of drunks

The following 2 users liked this post by rpbrown:
lh4x4 (06-26-2017), r2t2k2 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:52 PM
rochman
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Entry into America

Originally Posted by miky112
Hi,

Last November we planned a road trip to Ohio. It was my first cross country road trip and we had a big plan. But, I couldn't make it across the border. They stopped me from entering the US because they found that I had the record of DUI. I felt so bad. I had return back. I insisted my friends not to forfeit the trip.

We may have a trip this year too to some other place and I don't want to miss that. I searched online what documents I need to be able to enter the US. I read that I can get a US entry waiver which gives me pardon for 2-3 years to travel there. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How long will this application take? I read that it would be between 6 to 18 months. Give your opinion.
Replying from Keswick , my buddy and myself went to Jersey in August 2016 to see Springsteen , I have no record but my buddy had a very long one from many years back , he is in New Brunswick , he applied for a Pardon 3 months before his flight and got it , just get yours in , The sooner the Better and the sooner you will cross.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:25 PM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rochman
Replying from Keswick , my buddy and myself went to Jersey in August 2016 to see Springsteen , I have no record but my buddy had a very long one from many years back , he is in New Brunswick , he applied for a Pardon 3 months before his flight and got it , just get yours in , The sooner the Better and the sooner you will cross.
Once you have been turned back at the border applying for a Canadian Pardon is useless. You'll have to have an entry waiver.

Like your Buddy if you have a record and are worried about getting refused entry, but have not been refused entry yet, then a pardon is the way to go.
Once US customs retrieves your record they have it.
Like I said before I think a lot has to do with the guard in the booth. The one time I was checked and let through the guard at the booth I went through was pulling everyone over. The office was jammed packed. So during a conversation I ask is it something serious going on? She rolls her eyes and says no someone in that booth is having a real bad day. I got the impression he was pissed at something and making his cowokers or supervisor pay.

Last edited by skeetz; 02-15-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:48 PM
miky112
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the discussion guys.

So, What I am thinking is that I have to see an attorney. And I need to get the waiver only if it is quite necessary to travel. Jeez, so much for a sin of the past.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Back about 10-12 years ago, several of us were going to Canada to snowmobile as they were getting more snow than we were at that time.

One of the guys liked it so much he bought a cottage on a lake and even a boat so he could go year round.

Turns out that there's a time limit (cumulative) that a non-citizen can spend in Canada during a calendar year.

Another issue was, the guy that bought the cottage had two minor felonies back during the early '60's and during one border crossing the officer asked him about it and refused to allow him to enter.
His only recourse (at that time) was to apply for a Minister's Permit, and as I remember, cost about $150 for the calendar year, so he sold the cottage.

A single DUI (going either way across the border is, IMHO chickens**t as we have drunks on both sides but it's the rules.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:19 PM
skeetz
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by miky112
Thanks for the discussion guys.

So, What I am thinking is that I have to see an attorney. And I need to get the waiver only if it is quite necessary to travel. Jeez, so much for a sin of the past.
Actually you may get off cheaper using a Pardon Service if you want to go that way. If you can get the forms somewhere,(you'll need forms I-192 2copies and G-325A 4copies) look them over there really isn't a need for anyone, you can easily fill them out yourself. The only other things I haven't mentioned that you'll need is three character reference letters and a letter of circumstance.
First off go to the nearest police station and get your prints done $70. Tell them it's for a US entry waiver and you'd like your criminal record and court information. Thats going to take 3 weeks. In the meantime fill out the forms, get the three character reference letters and write a letter of circumstance (apology).

ITs all not that hard, and if you have any questions I'll be glad to see if I can help.

For general information I have examples of my character letters and a letter of circumstance if your interested at checking it out.

Last edited by skeetz; 02-28-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:09 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

You can be denied entry into both Canada and into the US, for no reason at all. It comes down to the discretion of the border agent.

I am surprised that a DUI will bar you entry as a tourist. I know that if you drive a commercial vehicle, that a DUI will almost always keep you out though.

Both sides of the border now have access to all of your info and most of your background. They use to ask if you had a criminal record, of course, a lot of people do not consider a DUI conviction criminal, even though it is. Then the questions changed to have you ever been charged with an offense of any kind, then it changed to have you ever been arrested, and the latest one is "have you ever been handcuffed". Keep the smart *** remark "Only by my girlfriend (or boyfriend) to yourself. Very, very, few customs agents have a sense of Ha Ha at work.

Get your passport out and have it ready, take your sunglasses off and turn your bike off. Answer all questions with Yes, or No if you can. Don't elaborate unless asked to. They don't care "Why" your going to California, only that you are.

I crossed the border so many times into the US last year, the last time I crossed I handed my Passport, he scanned it, and did not ask me any of the standard questions, only "Where you going this time, Bob?" (my legal first name is Robert). I said "Palm Springs" he asked why ... I said "Rock Concert" .... he said "Have fun"

Old 03-05-2017, 11:12 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

I visited Vancouver a couple of years back, driving the truck with my family. We spent considerable time at the booth with the guard (20 minutes or so) as he questioned me about weapons, firearms etc. I have a clean record, no arrests of any kind, but am retired military and finally asked him if he would like permission to search the vehicle. He let us in without further questioning.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:05 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorKG
I visited Vancouver a couple of years back, driving the truck with my family. We spent considerable time at the booth with the guard (20 minutes or so) as he questioned me about weapons, firearms etc. I have a clean record, no arrests of any kind, but am retired military and finally asked him if he would like permission to search the vehicle. He let us in without further questioning.
The further south you live from the Border, the more questions you will be asked about weapons. That is because most people in the US that live one stat down who have guns know what is and is not allowed.

Leave your hand guns at home. They will be confiscated; you will be arrested, spend a few nights in Jail and you will pay About $5;000 to extract yourself back to the US. And that won't include Lawyers fees. And you WILL NOT get your gun back. I don't care if it was given to you by your great grandfather and is a family heirloom.

Hand guns coming North and Drugs moving South have the same thing in common. Zero tolerance both ways.

Quick Reply: Got my last trip cancelled due to a legal issue to travel to the US