Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado trip questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Question Colorado trip questions

ok, I have a trip planned to Colorado june 28-july 14. Im in NY. Ride out to Fort Morgan Co. (3days motel it) then on to grand lake via trail Ridge road to Elk Creek campground. next to Mt evans via Berthoud pass stop in Dillon to Carbondale KOA. Then to Aspen independence pass to camp in Gunnison Co. On to 141 south over to 191 south to san juan inn. Then onto monument valley, 2 nights on North rim Grand Canyon campground. I already made tent site reservatioin there (last month) now i see they are full aready. After that up to Zion, then bryce then onto Grand Junction to ride the Colorado NAt Mounument then balst back on I-70 to home. Anyone have a avg on night time temps in the mountains of Co and up mt evans that time of yr? 1st week of July? Also In the Grand Canyon i planned for 2 nights there to unwind a bit and do some hiking ( also in zion and bryce some small hikes) This is a solo trip as well so trying to plan it out best i can. thanks jeff

Old 02-25-2017, 05:26 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I hike through those areas all the time (RMNP, Comtinental Divide Trail, Colorado Trail). At that time of the year, lows will be in the 40s around tree line (30s above treeline) and 50s below 8,000. You will get afternoon thunderstorms as monsoon season begins in early-July. The t-storms typically arrive around noon-2:00 in the afternoon. Plan accordingly. Ron 👍

Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Gunnison should be around 40 for lows. I have been there in the summer and scraped frost off the windows before. As for Mt. Evans, that could be day to day. We have been on a trip to visit Mt. Evans and didn't make it because of clouds and they said it was snowing at the peak. Same with Pikes Peak. It can snow any day of the year.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:35 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

I've ridden to Col. It's an awesome place! I rode mostly the Southwest area. Durango/Silverton/Million dollar/Ouray/Brekenridge. Rode a dozen peaks over 12 or 14,000'!
Layers is about the only thing I can recommend. Maybe some FROGG TOGGS too. Gotta watch melting your inside right leg on your exhaust tho.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

During the time of your ride the temps will be pretty moderate in most areas. While you may be focusing on the temps in the mountains you need to be thinking about how stinking hot its going to be in the desert. Moab is always great but in July it gets really hot. The quite low humidity in our states can cause problems if you don't drink and drink a lot of water. A regular shirt should be fine, bring a light jacket for high elevations and early mornings. Bring lots of sunscreen. I wear a wet rag around my neck during the heat. It may be raining each afternoon that time of year so bring some gear for that as well. You should be fine otherwise. Great route - have fun!

Old 02-27-2017, 08:59 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

If you see a thunder storm be prepared for hail and it can be lots of hail. I have also seen snow up in the mountains in July, so pack for everything

Old 03-04-2017, 07:28 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Thumbs up

thanks for the reply's I have only a few item still to get for this trip. I plan a a pair of Chaps from Fox Creek Leather. I never really had the need for them but i suspect i will need them at some point on this trip. I already have most of my gear from doing moto camping on the Blue Ridge parkway. The plan is to hit a combination of motels and campgrounds. As of now this is a solo bike trip since nobody I know will commit. I will never go if I wait for other people. Their loss is my response. I have a go pro set up on my front fork and plenty of cards. I went to Alaska last year and used the go pro all over. (house rental and cruise no bike) I used it on the front hood of the car and recorded Denali Park and Mt Denali on a bush plane flight i took. I made a nice video of the entire trip when i got home and I plan to do the same with this. I also bring my laptop along so I can unload the cards so they dont fill up. Although i do have 2-64 gb cards. thats a lot of film. thanks for the help here. im looking foward to this trip. Jeff

Old 03-05-2017, 04:00 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

If you have a bag good to freezing, and are willing to wear thermals (which is what I do) then you will be fine. but you have been to Alaska, so cold is not new to you.

I have ridden for 50 years and never had chaps on until last year. Now, I never take them off unless it is an around town spin.

I did a lot of the route you are talking about last year. It looks like you are going into Monument Valley from the North, which is the "right" way to go for the view. At Mexican Hat there is a 7/11, no kidding.

If you can fit it in, Rocky Mountain National Park is really something to see.

You will be spending quite a bit of time in the Navajo Nation. I found them to be extremely friendly people. Always asking me where I was going.... never where I was coming from.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:27 PM
hdman6
Tourer

thanks, Yes have the trip mapped in ride planner and i download the routes to my road tech zumo as i go. i bring along my laptop as well and sometimes odisy the routes if needed. i also have maps as a back up. the zumo sure makes it less stressful as to which way to turn all the time and allows me to enjoys the scenery. i had it all wired up like the CVo bikes from about 2010 when they came with the road techs and the music shuts off and the gps directions takes over then music resumes. Its like 2nd nature now for me to ride this way. I have done a lot of trip south on the east coast but the elevations arent as extreme as the ones out west I will encounter. Any way i plan on entering Colorado from estes park, hitting trail ridge road. Then over past winterpark to MT Evans. Over to Carbondale KOA. Then to Aspen/Independence Pass to Gunnison. rte92 over to rte 141 south. 90 over to 191 south to mexican hat san juan inn. Onto monument valley, 2 nights North Rim campground (res made). Moving onward up to Zion, Bryce canyon camp at rubys. Moving north to rte 24 Capitol Reek Nat Park, May stay at hanksville or make it to grand Junction. then Colorado Nat monument then 3 day home on I-70. I have been refining the route a little but that is the plan. Of course bad weather may change it. The chaps i was thinking i would need in Colorado in the high elevations. I do have the harley Alam security system, I was thinking of adding a disc brake lock as well for added security at motels I was looking at the alarm ones thanks

Old 03-06-2017, 07:47 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman6
I was thinking of adding a disc brake lock as well for added security at motels I was looking at the alarm ones thanks
I have one and use it every night, no matter where I am. In rougher areas, I have even taken my panniers and water bottle holders off. It takes just a few minutes, and I sleep better when I do.