Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a 6 week ride from upstate NY to GNP

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:31 AM
89fxrs
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a 6 week ride from upstate NY to GNP

A buddy and I turn the big 60 this year so we are taking our bikes (07 Road Glide and 02 Road King) to Glacier National Park and back 7/21 - 9/1/17. I have been researching a lot on this great forum and have a basic plan started. Hard to plan it out exactly as we are not going to be rushed, want to stop for a day or 2 when there are cool places to see, avoid super highways and see the country. We plan to motel it as we go and book a few spots ahead.
4 or 5 days in the GNP area and 3-4 days in the Fort Collins area were the main targets as places to ride out of. We added Banff based on comments here and also might add Crater Lake, OR. Heading up through Michigan to start, below Lake Superior, then over Route 2 to Great Falls. Spend 3 or 4 days at GNP then head up to Banff, come back down to Lake Couer D'Alene in the idea we would head over to Crater Lake. Then back to GNP and over to Fort Collins. Then back to the ferry at Lake Michigan for the last 2 days to NY.
Basic question is should we skip Crater Lake as it is quite an extra leg but if there are good rides to get there, we might as well try it. Or should we head South to Bryce Canyon or something like that instead? Might have to miss Yellowstone as we don't want to be stuck in lots of traffic, I hear August is pretty crowded.
2nd question is any good routes from Pikes Peak CO to Milwaukee for the Lake Express Ferry? Or should we spend the time in CO and take interstates back to WI in 2 days (1200 mi)?
Too much to see is the good problem to have. Attached is a 1st sketch of the plan. Would welcome any better ideas or places we should not miss no matter what as I might not get to do this too many times! Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
2017 Trip Draft 1.doc (907.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-25-2017, 04:15 PM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Looking like a nice trip! Lots of choices for riding out West. Crater Lake is really cool but if it's far out of the way, I suggest spending the time in CO. You could do a pass through of Yellowstone. It won't be too bad just riding through. It's worth the time to see the Tetons. Absolutely stunning!

Work your way to east UT and see Arches Natl Park then south to Monument Valley and Bryce. Bryce is freaking stunning!

Nice riding in ID, too!

In CO, it's almost pick a road and it will be good. If you like twisties and mountains, take US550 from Durango to Montrose then US50 east and work your way over to Pikes Peak. So many great roads!

Enjoy the trip!

Here's the route I took last year on Epic Journey 2016. Might give you some ideas. Some of the route might look weird as I think Google accounts for road closures in winter.
http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...3&locale=en_US

Tetons
Name:  DSC00405.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  1.30 MB

Bryce
Name:  DSC00725.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  2.43 MB

Last edited by gtmalone; 02-25-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:21 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Dude those are some hard choices to make. No matter which way you go I doubt you would be disappointed. Roads to crater lake are plentiful to choose from. As stated Utah national parks are cool as well. If you do bear tooth pkwy that's worth going through that part of Yellowstone since your there. Been to all the places you're asking and all will not disappoint

Old 02-26-2017, 08:22 AM
89fxrs
6th Gear

Thanks for the tips! Will probably skip Crater Lake and try to hit more of UT and CO. And will have to do some of Yellowstone. Can't wait for summer!
Gtmalone - Awesome photos, did you like to use the HD Ride Planner? Looks like it has lots of info.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:53 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

I use the Ride Planner for all my trips. Works pretty well. It's useful for finding camping spots, food, and gas especially in sparsely populated areas. I verify that gas stations are really there, though! I usually have another browser tab open to Google maps for looking at smaller details and street view.

For GNP, watch out for the tourists! You'll find them standing in the middle of the road to take their selfies and some in cars who seem to be in a hurry. There are plenty of turnouts for you to gawk at the scenery. Early morning is probably best to minimize the tourists. I still say the Natl Parks would be really nice if it weren't for the damn tourists. lol.

So much stuff to see...

Old 02-26-2017, 09:25 AM
rbrpulling
Novice

Check out the Garrison Dan in ND, and HWY 200 is a nice ride also.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Rockarosa
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not been to Crater Lake, but I have been to Bryce. I liked Bryce Canyon better than the Grand Canyon Not too far from Bryce to go over to Zion National Park which is well worth seeing. A lot to see and it's all good !

Old 02-26-2017, 03:17 PM
mxz600
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want some points of interest in Michigan let me know as there are many beautiful areas and roads to ride both in the lower and upper peninsula of Michigan.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Crater Lake is great but, If you decide to go by Bryce, remember, you are very close to the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion NP, and hwy 12 from Bryce to Torrey is awesome, I would take 95s from Hanksville,UT ( thru Capital Reef NP another Awesome rd) and take the Million Dollar Co. 550n. then head east on Co.50 /285n/24e. to Pikes Peak. I would change my route to include the Black Hills area on my way out.

Last edited by Mikey 1450; 03-01-2017 at 07:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
89fxrs (03-02-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 07:36 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

that'll be an awesome trip---just do sturgis for sure and reconsider crater lake

The following users liked this post:
89fxrs (03-02-2017)

Quick Reply: Planning a 6 week ride from upstate NY to GNP