Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trying to decide on trailering option

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 08:21 AM
NTRotty
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide on trailering option

We have his&where's heritage softail classics, at our age, there are many states we want to visit while we are still able. Have ridden for years and never would have believed I would trailer a motorcycle anywhere. Looking at a 7x14, probably a Wells Cargo SE v-nose, condor chocks and e-trac.

My concern is suitable motel/lodges that have secure parking to handle truck and trailer while we stay/ride in an area. For those that have experience traveling in similar situation, how do you find suitable accommodations and deal with this concern?

Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 587 Posts

Have never personally trailered but any hotel/motel I've stayed at has always its share of vehicles in tow. Boats, uhauls, toy haulers etc. In their parking areas.
Many have cc cameras and lighting.
Securing the trailer and its contents is your responsibility as is trying to park in a lit area, preferably close to your rental unit.
Most if not all these questions can be asked after you choose a place you want to stay.
If they can't accommodate you go to plan "b"
I'd choose hotel in a busier area with lots of come and go traffic as opposed to out of the way and less visible.
Motels off the interstates are nice, lots of traffic, like minded travellers not punks looking to rip off your *****.
At the end of the day, use common sense, take reasonable precautions to secure your stuff, your odds are low to be victimized anyway. And you have insurance.
So worry less not more.
That's my thoughts anyway.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:15 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

First, securing the trailer: do yourself a favor and get a locking hitch pin AND put a lock on the lever release on top. Failure to lock the release lever invites a quick detach and switch to another drawbar. Failure to lock the drawbar invites the whole assembly to be removed and reinserted.

Regarding parking in hotel/motels, you will find the full range from dedicated trailer/truck parking to near impossible parking. Generally, hotels along the Interstate [easy off/on] have truck parking which doubles as trailer parking. If you find a parking lot with back-to-back spaces [and suitable swing room], you can pull thru taking both spaces. Sometimes, if you park on the perimeter, you can park with other trailers, leaving sufficient distance between vehicles.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:35 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

We've trailered for many years in order to maximize my wife's vacation time while also allowing her to see much more of the country than she could if we had to ride round trip.

Several times, I've trailered by myself and my wife has has flown to the closest airport and we've stored the truck and trailer at the motel and toured (in a big loop) from there. Sometimes she also flies home but once or twice she has helped me make the return trip home.
If your riding partner can help with the driving it really makes for a more relaxing trip, especially when crossing "fly over country" and this is also works much better if the both of you have to be back at work in a short amount of time.

Once or twice I have used RV storage facilities if we plan on being on the bikes for more than a few days. It's more expensive than simply leaving the rig at a motel but it's worth the peace of mind knowing that the rig is more secure for our return. FWIW, I've never had an issue leaving my rig anywhere but you never know when there may be an issue so I'd suggest that you select a fairly safe area for your rig.

Two other benefits (that we've never needed, yet) is in the event of a serious mechanical issue with one of the bikes, or worse, an accident, transportation and the ability to get us and our bikes home is usually within a one or two day ride back to the rig.

For longer distance trips, I've always included and extra day or two just in case of mechanical problems, bad weather, etc. and this also gives me opportunities to sometimes take more scenic routes and this also makes for a more relaxing trip for both of us.

I currently have an open 20' landscape trailer set-up to haul four bikes but prior to that I had a 20' x 6' V-nose snowmobile trailer with rear and front "drop -down" ramp doors allowing me to load our two bikes end-to-end with plenty of room to move around in order to secure the tie-down straps.

Either way you go, keep in mind that when your bikes are in or on a trailer, you've given a thief the means to (hook up to your trailer) and drive away with your bikes in one fast swoop!

I try to park my rig where I can see it through the night, but that is what insurance is for.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:58 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

We live in a remote area and I have absolutely no qualms about trailering over the wasted roads (interstates, etc) to get to the bike roads. I never book hotels on line; always find and call the front desk of where I want to park and chat about what's going on, parking, leaving trailer etc. Have found out a lot of local intel rather than dealing with a call centre in Mumbai.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:33 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a 7'x12' enclosed (it will haul 2 Ultra's) low profile. No problem's I can park it in the condo inside parking lot when we go on vacation

The following users liked this post:
Mr Fixit (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

If you have to unhook the trailer from the Truck; have a ball that you can put in the receiver and lock the hitch with an expensive lock. That will keep someone from backing under with a small ball and just driving away.

Don't use pins and cotter pins to secure the receiver to the truck. Use grade 8 bolts with Red locktite.

Put a motion sensor in the trailer.

Get a wheel lock so it cannot be moved with it on. Don't get a cheap one.

No matter what you do, if they want it, they will take it. All of the above is just to discourage them and to move them onto an easier target.

But your right, nothing worse than seeing an empty space where your truck was.

The following users liked this post:
Mr Fixit (03-19-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 06:42 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Talk with the motel manager and tell them your plan, get permission. They might ask you to park your rig in a certain area but you should be ok. We have done this for many years (mostly Colorado) and never had a problem.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Why are you so concerned about the trailer? Imagine if you just had 2 bikes sitting in the motel parking lot instead. They are easier to steal than a trailer locked up and locked to your truck! Just make sure your insurance is paid up and enjoy your trip. If a thief wants it bad enough they will get it no matter.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:34 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
We've trailered for many years in order to maximize my wife's vacation time while also allowing her to see much more of the country than she could if we had to ride round trip.
^^Same for us ^^

I have a 6x12 enclosed V-nose with a Condor. We've not had a problem leaving the truck/trailer at a hotel for a few days while we're out on the bike.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide on trailering option