Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Travel north from Wilber WA thru Colville Reserve

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 10:12 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Travel north from Wilber WA thru Colville Reserve

Part of our early summer tour will take us north from Wilber WA, thru the Colville Reservation. I see we can go on Hwy 155 or 21 and see some roads across on Goggle maps...I presume these east-west roads are gravel? We'll probably go north to Canada on Hwy 21; have been East/West on 20 a couple times thru Republic and won't mind staying there again...

Comments? Recommended do-not-miss sites?

Old 03-15-2017, 03:48 PM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would do Hwy 21, its a cool snakey rd down to the river, then ya catch the Keller ferry across... pretty sure its a free ride, operated by WSDOT. Then, a mile or 2 up the rd, there is a east route Manilla rd that will take you out to Elmer or Coulee city. I think its tribal rd, but its a fun back rd. Or keep going N on 21 thru Keller and take Cache Creek rd east to Nespelem, also a nice rd. Then if you drop south a mile or two, there is Columbia river rd, that will take you on west thru Omak Lake to Omak. ORrrrrr
Continue north on 21 to East on Bridge crk to Inchelium, there is also a ferry there if you want to cross the river again. ORrrr continue on north on County rd 3, to Hwy 20.
I can confirm all roads mentioned are paved, some better than others. But its all back roads, with not to many services in between. We love riding that area at least once a year.
Enjoy and Happy Trails...

The following users liked this post:
sharkey (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 PM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

You guys are making me miss home.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:15 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Got the Butler map for Washington; wow! There's a lot of nice roads there! Thanks for the leads...

Old 03-17-2017, 01:52 AM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Delete

Last edited by EricW; 03-17-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:53 AM
EricW
Cruiser

That is my back yard Sharkey. PM me your contact info and I'll put you on some good stuff, I type like old people. As Turdle mentions above, take 21 down to the Ferry9I helped build and launch that boat). Take the Ferry across and you are going north following the San Poil river. A few miles up you will see a left turn marked Manilla Creek, take it. You will go over a small pass to Hwy 155 on the Columbia below Grand Coulee Dam. Go right on 155 to Nespelem. Just past the store and gas station there is a left on Lower Columbia River rd (BIA RD 10), take it. This will take you along the Columbia for a ways then eventually by Omak Lake before dumping you back on 155 where you will go left past the sawmill to north on 97. You will pass through Omak going north to Tonasket. At Tonasket you could go left on 4th St. to a quick right on Highway 7 going north. A few miles up you will stay left on Loomis / Oroville Rd. That will take you past a few small lakes and into the town of Loomis where you will stay right going north. You will pass Palmer Lake then cross the Simikameen River and stay right. You will follow the river from there into Oroville.

From Oroville there are a few options depending on time and interest. Google the town of "Molson, WA". It is so cool if you are in to see how settlers lived in the 1800's. Lots of well preserved buildings, machinery, school house, tools, and more that you can walk through and touch. None of it is blocked off. I think its a must. From Molson you can head toward Chesaw and Chesaw Rd. This will take you west and down through the Beth lakes (really beautiful) and to a left onto Toroda Creek. Torroda will take you to into the town of Curlew. Great little coffee/snack stop at the intersection called "Tugboats". From there you can continue East on Boulder Creek rd. This will take you over the Boulder Summit and you will see the remains of the worst wildfire we had had in decades two years ago. The fire crossed the highway and it is something to see. This will drop you onto Hwy 395 where you can go north to Grand Forks or Castlegar, BC or South to Kettle Falls and a ton more options from there. Call me and I can fill you in from there. If available I would be glad to show you around or do the above loop with ya. The laser light show on the face of Grand Coulee is kinda cool if you want to plan to be there overnight. Lots of local options for fun stuff to see. Take Care. EW

The following 2 users liked this post by EricW:
mtgriz (03-21-2017), sharkey (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 10:54 AM
turdlefxst
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like I may have some more exploring to do....Always good to get a local, with the secret information. Thanks Eric

Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,301 Posts

If you go 155, look up at Disautel pass and see Sasquatch. Pull over and walk up behind him.
All the two lanes are great and the variety of roads and habitat will astound you.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:57 PM
EricW
Cruiser

There are so many good options in the area. We are pretty spoiled and don't know it until we have guests from out of the area. I am glad to have a chance to contribute, not many calls for route tips around here. lol. Hope its a good ride. EW

Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by EricW
There are so many good options in the area. We are pretty spoiled and don't know it until we have guests from out of the area. I am glad to have a chance to contribute, not many calls for route tips around here. lol. Hope its a good ride. EW
We've been thru Republic twice now on Hwy 20; last trip did 3000 miles of 5 NW states and largest city seen was Missoula...my kind of travel. Detest freeways; love 2-lane. I've got the full set of Butler maps now; they're a good start to the best M/C roads in the USA. The tour "group" is supposed to get together in April; I will keep your contact info and possibly ping you for details. Any don't miss sights or places to eat? Edna's in Davenport and Billy Burgers in Wilber look like possible local joints as we traverse west before heading north again...

Quick Reply: Travel north from Wilber WA thru Colville Reserve