Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need Some WV Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 05:17 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Lots of good riding in WV, so many curvy, hilly roads.

If you are anywhere near Morgantown, the Chestnut Boutique Hotel is the place to stay. They have a bar / bandstand / hot tubs up on the roof. Nothing like relaxing in a hot tub with your favorite drink after a long day of riding. You can actually ride your bike right up to 5th floor and park next to the bar!

http://chestnuthotel.com/

Across the street is a tiny hole in the wall that serves great breakfasts.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:28 AM
M8Deeve
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

219 from US64 up to Elkins.

There are some sections along there that are like a roller coaster. Beautiful riding start to finish. along the way there is a place a group of us stayed that is biker friendly.
Near Eldray. Old Clarke Inn. Cheap, nothing special but it is very biker friendly.

The following users liked this post:
Geezr Glidr (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

We got a cabin for a week in June close to Seneca Rocks, right on 33, so it's good to see that plenty of the roads mentioned are in that area. Never been down that way before so I'm really looking forward to it.

One that I didn't see mentioned was Smoke Hole Rd.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:43 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OK. Places to visit, Cass Railway on Rt. 66. National Radio Astronomy Observatory On Rt. 28 and the coolest place of all is the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum on Rt. 33 in Weston, WV.

Best views is the Highlands Scenic Highway AKA Rt. 150 between Rt.219 and Rt. 39/55 near Marlinton.

If traveling with the wife, they like the shopping and eating in downtown Lewisburg. Rt.219 & 60

Old 03-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
OK. Places to visit, Cass Railway on Rt. 66. National Radio Astronomy Observatory On Rt. 28 and the coolest place of all is the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum on Rt. 33 in Weston, WV.

Best views is the Highlands Scenic Highway AKA Rt. 150 between Rt.219 and Rt. 39/55 near Marlinton.

If traveling with the wife, they like the shopping and eating in downtown Lewisburg. Rt.219 & 60

Great info. Thanks. I planned on fitting the Cass train ride in anyway, after doing some of my own "research!" Might have to do the Lunatic Asylum too. Sounds kinda cool. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
We got a cabin for a week in June close to Seneca Rocks, right on 33, so it's good to see that plenty of the roads mentioned are in that area. Never been down that way before so I'm really looking forward to it.

One that I didn't see mentioned was Smoke Hole Rd.

You're not far from me. I live in Wellsboro. Breakfast at Sprague's!

Old 03-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
You're not far from me. I live in Wellsboro. Breakfast at Sprague's!
Yes sir! All of their food is good but the amount of breakfast they serve all day is amazing lol. Hard to turn down the blueberry pancakes!

We ride out to your area a few times a year, lots of great riding for sure. Love making our way south toward Hyner View and we regularly cruise by the Kizua Bridge area. That's like our "backyard", including the Allegany National Forest area. We love PA riding so WV should be awesome!!

Old 03-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Yes sir! All of their food is good but the amount of breakfast they serve all day is amazing lol. Hard to turn down the blueberry pancakes!

We ride out to your area a few times a year, lots of great riding for sure. Love making our way south toward Hyner View and we regularly cruise by the Kizua Bridge area. That's like our "backyard", including the Allegany National Forest area. We love PA riding so WV should be awesome!!

WV is GREAT. I love it down there. Discovered it last summer, and been there 3 times. Gonna make Bridge Day at New River Gorge an annual thing, it was so much fun. Yup, PA riding is nice. I never get tired of it. Try this loop sometime. I do it a few times a year. Go to Port Alleghany, and take 6 into Wellsboro. Then south on 287, 220 south to Lock Haven, and then 120 west, past Hyner View, all the way to St Marys, and then up 219. 120s a wonderful ride. Almost NO traffic once you get past Renovo. Check the Hyner Club website, and take a ride down when they're hang-gliding. Pretty cool to watch. Big hang-gliding event every Memorial Day weekend. I'll probably go down there sometime that weekend.

Last edited by Geezr Glidr; 03-26-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:32 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I've been to the Morgantown area a couple of times but never down to the Canaan Valley area and I've heard that it's a beautiful area with some scenic view and roads to ride.

I've also been west of it and south of it so perhaps I may be able to manage a trip this summer either with my wife, or perhaps my riding partner and I can meet up with my cousins for our annual get-together.

Another trip on my "bucket list" is Bridge Day.
I've been there many times by car and by bike but never on Bridge Day.
It may not be this year as we have a TX trip just prior to that day and I'm not sure if our schedule will allow me to go but there's always next year!

Old 03-27-2017, 03:09 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,486 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Lots of good riding in WV, so many curvy, hilly roads.

If you are anywhere near Morgantown, the Chestnut Boutique Hotel is the place to stay. They have a bar / bandstand / hot tubs up on the roof. Nothing like relaxing in a hot tub with your favorite drink after a long day of riding. You can actually ride your bike right up to 5th floor and park next to the bar!

http://chestnuthotel.com/

Across the street is a tiny hole in the wall that serves great breakfasts.
I'm headed down that way this summer.
I called the hotel and the bar is on the 5th floor (roof) but parking is only in their garage. Might stay there anyway.

Quick Reply: Need Some WV Ideas