Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need Some WV Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Need Some WV Ideas

Last year I discovered how much I like WV. Rode to my sister's near Columbus OH for a weekend. Rode down to Athens, and rode 50 to 219, and headed back up to upstate PA. Liked it so much that a month later I rode down to Bridgeport, stayed overnight, and rode 50 all the way to Cumberland & 220 before I headed north again. A few of us went to Bridge Day in October, and again stayed in Bridgeport, and rode 50 to Cumberland. I'd like to head down there again this year, but will ride a different road or 2 or 3. I hear lots of good things about 250 from Staunton, and also 33. Just looking for an overnighter. 400 miles a day isn't too much. What must-see stops are there along 33 & 250? Things like Kinzua Bridge up near me, or a cool museum, or something like that. Some nice waterfalls would be cool too, as long as it can be ridden to! (Don't wanna hike 5 miles to get to it!) I live near the PA Grand Canyon, so a scenic view is nice, but I figure I'll get lots of scenery while riding. Just wondering about roadside attractions along the way that could be fun must-stop places. Doesn't have to be 33 or 250. Just wondering about things to stop & see. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:56 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

You need to do the White Water Rafting while there. The New River is a great ride.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Geezr,

Try this site. I used the Three day route recommendations but chopped them to my needs/wants. Did part A completely which was excellent. Did parts of B/C as suited my ride down and back to-from Maggie/Blueridge area. We did many of the stops or, at least, pulled over to take pics for a few minutes. Fire away if there are questions.

http://www.ridingwv.com/RidingRoutes.htm

Enjoy

Dave

Old 03-20-2017, 12:09 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Like Larry said white water rafting is good. You could do HarpersFerry. If you're into history

Old 03-20-2017, 12:35 PM
4D_Footer
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Great rides not in any particular order:
-Rt 48 from Strasburg, VA to Wardensville, WV. 48 turns to a interstate but the view are worth it
-RT 50 from Winchester, VA through Romney, WV. Stay on 50 until Rt220 north OR turn north at Romney onto RT 28. Both go to Cumberland, MD.
-I haven't personally been on this route but Rt 144 east of Cumberland, MD is the service road for 68 and has massive sweeping turns as the road sweeps back and forth over the highway. I paced a DUC for 20-30 miles while I was on 68.
-RT 28 south from Peterburg, WV to Green Bank, WV. Won't regret that road.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:46 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you get near New Martinsville,WV, there's a buffet style place to eat called Quinet's. Then head off on WV Rt 20 from NM to Shinston, from there head on down to Elkins and Seneca Rocks. You can visit the Cass Railway, ride the train and wobble your way back home from there.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks all. Got a few things to look at. I expect to make a few rides down there again this year. Also did Skyline Drive last summer, but I really like WV riding.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I have but one thing to say:

Route 16

Old 03-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Check out the Cheat Mountain area or Durbin, some great roads in the area and awesome train rides. Check out the links below:

http://www.cassrailroad.com

http://mountainrailwv.com

Old 03-21-2017, 12:04 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Last year I discovered how much I like WV. Rode to my sister's near Columbus OH for a weekend. Rode down to Athens, and rode 50 to 219, and headed back up to upstate PA. Liked it so much that a month later I rode down to Bridgeport, stayed overnight, and rode 50 all the way to Cumberland & 220 before I headed north again. A few of us went to Bridge Day in October, and again stayed in Bridgeport, and rode 50 to Cumberland. I'd like to head down there again this year, but will ride a different road or 2 or 3. I hear lots of good things about 250 from Staunton, and also 33. Just looking for an overnighter. 400 miles a day isn't too much. What must-see stops are there along 33 & 250? Things like Kinzua Bridge up near me, or a cool museum, or something like that. Some nice waterfalls would be cool too, as long as it can be ridden to! (Don't wanna hike 5 miles to get to it!) I live near the PA Grand Canyon, so a scenic view is nice, but I figure I'll get lots of scenery while riding. Just wondering about roadside attractions along the way that could be fun must-stop places. Doesn't have to be 33 or 250. Just wondering about things to stop & see. Thanks.
33 is great. Lots of twisties and switchbacks. I also rode US 50 from Winchester VA to Grafton, WV, another nice road. My favorite road in WV is further south, US 52 from Bluefield, VA west to Pikeville, KY.

Things to see that are easily accessible include Seneca Rocks, off of 33 and Blackwater Falls, near Davis. Here are a couple photos (all a short walk, not hike, from the road).

Seneca Rocks:

Blackwater Falls State Park:

You can't go wrong in WV! Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Need Some WV Ideas