Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

East Coast Plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default East Coast Plans

Made reservations for the National HOG Rally in Milwaukee. From there we will go to Bar Harbor, Maine and then down to Florida.

The only states I haven't ridden in the lower 48 are Florida and New England and east coast. Figured this would be a good time to get it done. At 71 years old I don't know how many more long rides I have left in me.

Bill

Old 03-26-2017, 09:14 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Are you going to go "over the top" thru Canada's wilderness or across the bottom of the Great Lakes thru all those people and all that rust? Just asking.
We've literally followed the shoreline from Montreal to Savanna; an epic trip over many beautiful roads and encountering many diverse, friendly people.
Went into Washington DC (all the monuments, including The Wall) but avoided NYC. You've got a long beautiful trip ahead whichever way you ride

Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

hope you're riding a glide

Old 03-26-2017, 09:20 PM
Harglide
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We are looking at traveling from Galveston to Jacksonville FL, and up the east coast.
When you speak of Montreal to Savanna, how far was that? We are not looking to go that far up, but perhaps as far as MA. Still in the planning stages. May just go north up the coast from Jacksonville, and make our way towards DC. or as far as North Carolina.
Its all in the works. Went 3,700 last June, through the heartland, from Branson across to Birmingham, ALA. Back to West TX. It was Super!

Last edited by Harglide; 03-27-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:49 AM
XL1200C_0112
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Visited Bar Harbor Maine last summer, really nice. The lighthouses in Arcadia National Park are great for picture taking.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:57 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

As Sharkey suggested and you have time, it will be a much nicer ride to go north to Green Bay (go Packers!) then up to US2 east to St Ignace, I-75 north to Sault St Marie. Take Ontario 17 (Trans-Canada Highway) to Ottawa then south to Johnstown or Cornwall to cross into NY.

Ottawa is a neat city if you have time to look around. Upstate NY is really nice! Work your way to Lake Placid the over to Ticonderoga to see Ft Ticonderoga if you like historic stuff. There is a free ferry there to cross Lake Champlain into VT.

Don't forget your passports and check in with your insurance company to be sure your coverage is good. Leave guns at home.

I took that route in 2013 and really enjoyed it.

Enjoy the trip!

Old 03-27-2017, 02:14 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The national rally is on Labor Day weekend I believe, correct? If so, perfect time to come east is right after labor day. Just make sure you plan for temp swings etc. I recently posted a response to someone in another thread that has links to a number of posts regarding rides in NE/NY -- may want to search by name for it. Also, be glad to PM you some route ideas. Are you camping, hotel, motel, towing? Any preferences on food/libation locations? Also, typical ride length and scenic stop preference (like hiking to sights or just seeing them from the road or with little effort) or just want to cruise every day to some new state or section of state.
Nice to have someone make your thread complicated eh :-)

Old 03-27-2017, 03:43 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Milwaukee like any major city has some areas where you'd rather not stay or park your bike so make your lodging reservations wisely.

+1 on the dressing for the cooler (and wetter) weather.
In this part of he country the weather sometimes makes a drastic change after the Labor Day weekend and I'd recommend leathers and rain gear!

Travelling into Canada requires either a Passport or a Birth Certificate as well as your D/L.
If you've had a DUI/DWI or a criminal they may refuse to allow you to cross into Canada so be prepared.
+1 on the "NO GUNS" and also be careful about large knives.

Some border stations seem to be more strict than others but I recommend that when you pull up to the booth, shut your engine off, pay attention to their questions, make eye contact and you shouldn't have any problems.

I've been to and through Canada many times and I've had a good time and no problems.

You may want to stop at the exchange to get some Canadian money but it's not really necessary, just more convenient. I use my Master Card for most purchases and they do the exchange rate on your bill.