Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Here's Where I'm Goin', and This Is When I'm Leavin'

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

I have one good friend I will ride with, otherwise I ride alone. Mostly because I want to start and stop, and go where it pleases me. In almost 50 years of riding I can count one one hand the amount of times I have gone on an overnight ride, or longer, with someone else. I would doubt I have gone on a group day ride two dozen times. But hey, that's just me.

I guess that I am not just single, I am singular. Hell, no one I know, including all my staff, even know where I live.

Not to say I don't meet lots of folks and have interesting times, but come morning, that is all in my rearvue mirror.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

We have a few other couples we have ridden (and travelled with) for up to 25 years. Last trip to Sturgis I flat said no to two other couples who wanted to travel with us. I knew it wouldn't be a good fit so the answer "meet you there" was easy. I do most of the trip planning, the dates are by concensus at one meeting and that's it. Some wonderful travels together, but travel together will be herding cats if each insists on their own way. Some riders deserve to be alone, others make excellent travel companions.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:29 AM
andy57
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually ride by myself ,or at most 1-2 friends . I am not a cat herder or a patient person so I do not do larger groups. I loosely plan rides and enjoy the day as it goes by rain or shine. To me it is about the Journey more than the Destination. I leave early and end early to relax and enjoy the evening, thinking about all the thing I saw during the day.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:43 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,345 Likes on 3,279 Posts

I don't feel lonely when I'm alone. With that said, I have a few friends that I trust and ride with...Lately I have thinking of taking a trip by myself though.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

I go either all by myself, with my better half or 2 of my close riding buddies. Occasionally with my cool riding group that doesn't happen too often.

Thorey

Old 03-30-2017, 05:39 PM
Waterman1
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

BTDT as well. Only person I wait on is my wife. Generally don't do large group rides with maybe 3 or 4 being nice. Only group I will ride in a large group is a bunch of friends that get together once a year at some location.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:57 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

For an example of a large group ride; can't beat Edelweiss Tours. But; they are practiced professionals and it's usually easier to take "orders" from a third party "stranger" than from a long time accomplice. As well; you sign on knowing what you are getting in to...a first class tour of a totally foreign country by people familiar with it.

What about people who haven't hardly ridden but are friends of friends? That was the case with the Sturgis wannabe couple. He was gonna hop on his new "chopper" and his wife was going to follow in their Escalade...that scenario has nope written all over it. Haven't seen one of those chop shop attempts at assembling aftermarket everything that could go far without trouble, much less 1000 miles of back roads. Not to mention the near total lack of riding experience of the owner. Nope, nope, nope...

The opening ride this summer will be 4 couples; about the limit when booking rooms in Smallville anyhow. We've traveled together before, so no surprises. But, this time two couples will be on Tri-Glides rather than Ultra's. That part could be interesting. I expect them to be much slower than the wife and I on our Dyna's; guess we'll get longer rest stops waiting and probably need it; other than the steering I imagine the Tri-Glides to be a spoiler as far as comfort.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Actually, I didn't mean a group ride of 20 bikes. Maybe just another couple or 2, but if they back out, I'd go by myself. I don't mind my own company at all. My wife doesn't ride, so it would be just me. I'd stop to do stuff like a scenic train ride or a museum or scenery along the way, but she thinks I'm nuts, and wouldn't enjoy it as much, by myself. I have no problem with it at all. Was just curious who else does it by themselves. Like, a 3 day trip with 2 overnights. Can't believe I'm the only one.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 AM
switchglide12
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been riding over 20 years and I love riding by myself. I took 30 day trip all by myself across the US. Also do weekend trip every other month all by myself. I rode with few groups and few buddies but I enjoy riding more when I am by myself. When riding by yourself you meet so many nice people and you are never lonely.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:19 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

It really is riding with like minded, smaller groups, There is only a few people, including my family members, who want to ride the way i do, Not saying they are wrong, Just don't want to stop every 50 mi's ect. like some of them. Everyone is different, endurance, enjoyment, wise. Then add wives, , so many different personalities. Nothing wrong with riding with like minded, same riding idea, people,

Quick Reply: Here's Where I'm Goin', and This Is When I'm Leavin'