Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning an early summer ride...

Old 03-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Planning an early summer ride...

A friend of mine and his wife, his dad and his wife, are going to Moab and to Ouray June/July timeframe to offroad. I no longer have anything to offroad, but I'm thinking about my gal and I going and doing quite a few day trips from those areas and hang out with them in the evening. We'll probably trailer my Road King and the scooter schooner to Denver and ride from there. We'll be out there for about 10-14 days. So far we would like to see the San Jaun Mountain Skyway, Walden Loop, Peak to Peak, and Denver to South Park Basin Loop, Unaweep Scenic Road.

Any other ones are must rides?

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Too many to list! It is the Colorado Rockies after all!

Trailridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park

Independence Pass

Glenwood Canyon

Royal Gorge

Pikes Peak

For something different Dinosaur or Colorado National Monument.

Either way be honest about your mountain riding skills and stay hydrated.

Enjoy Colorful Colorado!

Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

West of I-25 it's pretty much pick a road and you won't be disappointed!

If you head up to Rocky Mtn Natl Park as suggested above, take US6 west from Golden to CO119. CO119 north to Nederland and CO72 (Peak to Peak). CO72 to CO7 north to Estes Park.

US50 from Canon City to Montrose is nice. Runs past Royal Gorge, along part of the Arkansas River, and takes you over Monarch Pass, then hooks you up with US550.

Top of the Rockies. Leadville is a neat little town to visit.
https://www.codot.gov/travel/scenic-...al/top-rockies

So many roads...

Enjoy the trip!

Old 03-31-2017, 12:11 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,069 Likes on 450 Posts

I just did a 10 day trip to Moab (2 days to get there through TX and NM, 5 days there, 3 days to get home with a stop in Colorado Springs). The thread with some pics is just below this one. The Moab area is beautiful with lots of scenic roads. I did a fair amount of hiking in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, but the weather was highs in the 70s every day, it will be hot in July.

The rides I did:

Scenic 128 - If you are going to Moab from Denver, take this route from I-70 into Moab. It runs along the Colorado River for most of the way.
Canyonlands N.P. (Island in the Sky) - Nice road all the way through the park, with lots of place to pull off and hike or take pics. Dead Horse Point State Park is down the same road (313).
Arches N.P. - Some of the arches you can almost ride up to, others are a short hike, some longer.
La Sal Mountain Loop - great views and 10 to 20 degrees cooler at the top, I imagine would feel great on a summer afternoon.
Scenic 279 along the Colorado River to Potash - short ride (~20 miles out) but great views of the river and canyons. If you are into rock climbing, there are lots of places right along the road here.

Last edited by cowboydoc; 03-31-2017 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:28 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 2,549 Posts

"Either way be honest about your mountain riding skills...."

This is very important advice. Alpine/mountain riding can be very dangerous if you have never done it before, it is not even close to the same thing as shooting down the highway. If new to this, try and figure out the skill level for some of the passes and start with the easier ones and work your way up to the hard rides. If you have done it before but maybe not recently, same advice start easy and get your "sea legs" before you hit the black diamond hills. Good luck, I am sure the riding and scenery will be amazing.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:03 PM
TXPHNDL
Cruiser
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Colorado 92 from Hotchkiss to Blue Mesa Reservoir. Should be on everyone's bucket list.