Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Louisiana to South Dakota for sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 01:10 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,083 Likes on 8,913 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveinHouston
Just bought a '17 Ultra Limited Low and it's a game changer for this 5'8", 30" inseam "old fart" rider. I was ready to give up riding or go to a trike. No more. Love this bike. Best Harley I've ever own.
Yup. I bought the same bike and have the same inseam. Being able to sit at a light flat footed with knees bent is wonderful.

The following users liked this post:
DaveinHouston (06-20-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 04:48 PM
ges32748
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 69 and have been riding back to Colorado and places west for the past 4 years...solo. It's definitely about the ride....and therefore would NEVER trailer my bike!!! As for the major bike events such as Sturgis, Daytona, etc., been there done that and would rather avoid the crowds and have 'more' of the road to myself. Fact is the only time I hit Daytona is the last day if I'm looking to buy a few things from the vendors as this is the best time to negotiate... As for age, hell it's just between the ears...you are only as old as you tell yourself!!! Last year coming home after spending a few days in the Ozarks with a buddy and his wife did an IronButt with no problems...like I said age is what you want it to be....I choose to be 45 going on 44!! Did the Pacific Coast Highway last year after meeting a buddy in Denver and the only negative was the 115 degree weather going through southern Arizona...but well worth it as the PCH was nothing short of amazing!!!! Typical days were 500-700 miles with no problems and my buddy is 63. Just stay within your comfort limits and enjoy the sites!!! This year planning on doing the North East...Gettsyburg, Niagara Falls, Montreal, Quebec, Nova Scotia and back down the coast to Florida. Ride Safe and have a Great time!!!!

Old 06-11-2017, 05:41 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts

Its the journey, not the destination. We rode from Monroe, LA to Kansas City in a day. I ride from KC to Sturgis in a day ride. 780 miles and get up there to sit up a tent to sleep in. I'm 61 this year. 3 days you should be good. You could go up thru Arkansas Hwy 7 into Missouri to Nebraska Hwy 2 to 385 into South Dakota. Once you get off I-29 the scenery gets better. All this talk has got me thinking about going again. I like the week before, a day or 2 of the rally and move on. You gotta ride.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts

I did New Orleans to STL on my Wide Glide (no windshield/stock seat) about a year and half ago. Was a long day. Now however, I'm waiting on delivery of a '17 SGS in Laguna Orange. So this past Colorado trip I took was probably the last time I'll "tour" on my Wide Glide.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:29 PM
bulkman2008
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks everyone all good advice and I appreciate it . We decided to head up through Dallas into Oklahoma Kansas and Nebraska into South Dakota, be leaving on the 1st and have the room booked starting at 2pm on the 4th that gives us 3 1/2 days to get there . Gunna stay 3 nights head South on the 4th day taking our time coming back through Colorado and New Mexico then cut across Texas to Louisiana. Never been to any of these states with the exception of Texas . Caint hardly stand the wait . Thanks again to all of you .

Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 AM
filtrod
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your trp our west

Have made one ride to Sturgis from Lafayette. If you are riding through Nebraska not a lot to see but corn growing on side of he roads as far as you can see, and I have went through parts of Kansas and didn't really see much there either. If you can take a route a little more westernll it opens you up to some really nice riding. I have came through Pagosa Springs, Durango and then on to Ouray on the million dollar highway a really nice ride. Many routes it is always refreshing riding in the mountains or high country after coming out of the in Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska.
Be prepared for all kinds of weather and also extreme heat. some of the states you mentioned will be very hot as you are riding through them. It has been my experience to pay close attention to construction signs. Went through maybe 25 miles of mucky road in Montana on the way to Red Lodge. It seems they go in and tear the whole road up at one time and repair it. I am use to only one lane being torn up at a time, so be cautious.
Good luck and enjoy your ride