Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best Motorcycle Friendly Campsites

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:24 AM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Motorcycle Friendly Campsites

Like a lot of riders I often use camp sites to help stretch the budget when on a long road trip. Only problem I run into is that from time to time the sites aren't always what I'd call "motorcycle friendly." Not making this into a rant but little things like being put next to a 50 foot, quadruple slide-out, diesel belching RV is not a good motorcycle camp site.

So it got me to wondering what spots have you folks come across that you'd recommend as "motorcycle friendly?"

Old 02-09-2008, 10:09 PM
kingfisch
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Best Motorcycle Friendly Campsites

Hi Doc,

My knowledge on this subject may not be up to date. It may not be close to accurate! I have taken a couple cross country trips and even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express! In '02 and '03 the wife and I did the NW and SW in that order, but, in a cage (pickup). I had the bike bug pretty bad at the time so I was aware of who was nearby. My observation was that a lot of State Parks and small private campgrounds were the most friendly. Of course, the State Parks were "DRY". It was never a deterrent to me. After a day of driving around Bum Fork Egypt I was having a beer(or two). My main source of info of locations was AAA. In addition to their "Tourbooks" and maps they have "Campbooks" of all regions of the USA. Private campgrounds come and go. The others aren't going anywhere. If it's part of your plans, give AAA a try.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:06 AM
JimS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Doc,

Last summer I rode from NJ to Utah and back on a 23 day trip. I camped about half the time and stayed in KOA campground tentsites. I never had a problem, they had showers, w/d (had to wash clothes sometimes), and some had food. Somealso have cabins but it is cheaper to stay in the tent. I met some good people camping and onlyhad rain 1 night in OK and it wasthe worst lighting storm I was ever in,so bad I stayed under the roof of thebathhouse.
Just remember to bring a hard pad for your kickstandyou will be parking on grass.
Send for the KOA campground guide it is very helpful with locations.
If you need any info. pm and I willtry to be of help.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

T.W.O. (Two Wheels Only)
Motorcycle Only Campground in North Georgia
a short trip to the Great Smokey Mtns National Park, Blue Ridge Parkway, Deal's Gap
If you're headed south,make a stophere.

http://www.twowheelsonly.com/

Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Prob the most famous or maybe infamous motorcycle camping spots in the TN and NC line area has to be at http://www.dealsgap.com/motel.htm check it out, everything you'd need
it's right at the foot of Deals Gap also known as The Dragons Tail (11 miles and 318 curves)
Lots of other great riding roads in the area too.
chappy

Old 02-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Amodump001
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hay Doc,

Like JimS, I would recommend the KOA, they have just about all you could need and are located everywhere. A cabin or tent site, all are good and the tent sites are normally away from the big RV settings.

http://koa.com/where/usa.htm

Old 11-04-2015, 12:32 PM
SPCJ
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this thread was started along time ago but I hoping others would interested in contributing. Always nice to hear the good the bad and the ugly about a camp site before we get there. Plus I'm planning a long ride next summer and have some places picked out but I'm always open to suggestions.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

Pine Mountain Lake campground in Groveland, Ca. $20 a night, bathrooms and showers. Great area for riding.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:43 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Pretty much every campground in and around the Smoky Mountains are motorcycle friendly even if they don't cater specifically to bikers. Motorcycle tourism is just too huge in the area for them to ignore.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:24 AM
mervt198
Cruiser

I would go with KOA. They will usually let you set up 2 tents on one spot with a small extra charge if you are travelling with someone else.

Quick Reply: Best Motorcycle Friendly Campsites