Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

AMSOIL the Official Oil of Both the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally & Daytona Bike Week

Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my first Harley new from the dealer one of the first things I did was look into a good lubricant for my bike to simplify and protect.
I looked at the 5 bearing test sheets, talked to some mechanics, and read a lot.
I ended up on the phone with Amsoil.
They recommended for my 04 FLHRSI Amsoil 20/50 synth in all three holes.
I never looked back.
I swear that bike ran cooler, sounded deeper in tone and was all in all a better ride.
I always felt good about my Amsoil.

Everyone I met and talked to used something else and all swore by it.

Amsoil isnt easy for me to get, mail order only, I cant find a single store near me that stocked it at least not in 04-08.

I dont see how you could use anything else if you have tried it, I cant find a single reason not to use Amsoil.

I plan to use it again in my new to me Road King Police, cant say enough good things about my experience with them even with Jeff on the phone helping me with orders and filters.

I would order by the case since it was all the same in all three holes, I got a better deal and would feel good knowing I am set for the next two riding seasons on oil and filters.

Out of principle I cant buy an oil with Harley's name on it, I buy bikes from them because I think they are the best at what they do, I buy oil from who I think is the best at what they do.
I forget who Harley uses for their oil.

Lump

Old 09-15-2012, 12:45 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and dont get me wrong amsoil and other brands are not bad oils, they are just bad for roller bearing engine's, have amsoil show you the bearing test they do and tell me how slick it is.
I have to disagree, but hey, we all have opinions.

I looked at the 5 bearing test sheets and saw the least amount of wear from amsoil, I dont know what tests you are looking at unless you are looking at Harley tests by Harley, lol

You have to look at an independent's test not one by any manufacturer as someone already said, they will all tell you they are the best.

I never found a bearing test that showed amsoil not out performing other oils in the same rating or I would be using it instead.

Lump

Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The roller bearing myth is just that, a myth.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Last oil change Amsoil at my dealer was less than HD syn 3. Now Amsoil is $14.50 and HD is $11.20. How do I get a list of of local dealers. Web not doing good.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:42 AM
andy94
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iam running Amsoil oil in both of my harleys and cant say enought about how good this oil is. I run it in my engine....

Old 09-01-2013, 10:56 PM
cal2050
Novice

I know AMSoil is supposed to be the good but do you prefer it over Lucas? If so, why? I have some buddies that run nothing but AMSoil and others that run only Lucas. Input is appreciated

Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 AM
GailEanes
Novice

though i have not used the same oil when it is coming along so sound features, it is quite fair to give it a try asap .. i am in

Old 08-24-2014, 08:39 AM
121RJB
Cruiser

You know its interesting what Dick long posts about oils other than HD Syn3 being to "slippery". I attended and oil seminar put on by Harley while I was in Daytona for Bike Week back in 1989 (before HD offered syn3) and the guy talking said that Harley does not recommend any synthetic oil at all because it was (to slippery) and would cause the bearings ***** to slide and wear out prematurely. I think Dick Long got a hold of the same speech. I didn't buy the "to slippery" BS then and I still don't. Bearings are made to roll and unless they are damaged thats what they do.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 AM
rkienlen
Intermediate

Have been running Amsoil in everything engine I've got for over 10 years - from weedeaters to diesel trucks, to Harleys. Best synthetic, can't go wrong.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:30 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

AMSOIL is always a top choice for is at Long Ride Shields be sure to see us at Daytona Bike week as well. Look forward to meeting all of our followers and Fans

www.longrideshields.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AMSOIL the Official Oil of Both the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally & Daytona Bike Week