Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Pikes Peak

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:17 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pikes Peak

A buddy and I are planning on leaving Kansas City on June 10th and will be heading west to Colorado.
Have any of you ever attempted to ride up Pikes Peak? I've been doing some research and only part of it's paved, and the rest is packed dirt, which I don't think would be too bad as long as it's dry.
I'd like to ride up the mountain, but if the roads are bad, I won't attempt.
After Colorado Springs, we are heading to Gunnison to camp. On our third day, we are going to do the Million Dollar Highway down to Durango, and then back up the hwy through Teluride and back to Gunnision to camp again. The fourth day, we are going to go south from Gunnnison and head back East to Kansas.
Anyone have any good suggestions for restaurants or sites while we're out there? We do plan on seeing Garden of the Gods while in Colorado Springs. Also, what do you think of Pikes Peak? Good idea or Bad?
We will be doing about 2100 miles in 5 days.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

I used to go to Pikes Peak for the annual Hill Climb. Last time I was to the top was about 15 years ago with a 250 cc dirt bike. The road is subject to loose gravel and wet spots but it's quite a ride. Just not sure I'd want to do it on my Ultra.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM
juspasnthru
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to consider taking Hiway 24 out of Colorad Springs West to Buena vista, then north to Twin Lakes/Independence Pass, down through Aspen and up HIghway 133, over McClure Pass and down to Delta-it is one of the most beautiful rides I know-

If you haven't seen it, Pikes Peak is worth the drive-more than once? No, there are just too many good palces to see-did I mention Engineer Pass, Leadville, Glenwood Canyon, Cripple Creek, Royal Gorge..................

Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 PM
shy1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I rode two-up to the top of Pikes Peak on our 2000 FLHT in May 2008. It starting snowing about half way up but it was still rideable. The road turns to gravel about the last 10-15 miles. We had to be careful on the icy turns where there was pavement. Bring plenty of warm gear and be prepared for the possibility of altitude sickness since it's over 14,000 ft at the summit. Well worth the ride and experience.

You may also enjoy the ride to Durango from Black Canyon of the Gunnison via Silverton.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

went there on a family reunion last summer, we drove to the top and I thought the whole time what a great ride it would be. There was 15 of us and only one issue, my 28 year old son got a terrible headache. I would do it as long as the roads are clear. On the way down they actually check your brakes with a gun of some kind to see if if they are too hot, about halfway.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:41 AM
toe_hold
Intermediate

+1 on what was said below. Pikes is very rideable, altitude sickness can get ya. Drink lots of water.

The other way to/from Gunnison from CSprings is on Hwy 50, along the Arkansas River. Great ride.

C.Springs via Hwy 24 map
C.Springs via Hwy 50 map

TH

Last edited by toe_hold; 04-08-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added maps
Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Made the trip to the top in a car once. I don't think I'd try it on my King. If you decide to venture up you'll definitely need new brakes after coming back down.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I havent made the ride myself, but its on my list of things to do this year. They sell emergency Oxygen bottles at the top in case the 14000 foot altitude gets to you. A word of caution from the guys that rode it last year.... Dont smoke a cig when you get to the top or you'll pay the price.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 AM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the advise guys. I'll break out the map and see if we can work in the other rides. If not, I'm not far away, so I can always go back and explore some more.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:22 PM
TxEasyGlider
Cruiser

Go but don't make the ride. Rent a car or take the COG Railroad. It is worth going. We went about 7 yrs ago and drove, there was a couple on a bike that made it and they seemed ok. They didn't prepare for the cold weather, it snowed and we were there on July 1st. I got dizzy at the top and the kids called me a sissy. What if you were to get dizzy on the bike?! You have to go if you are there, just don't ride. Garden of the God's is great too.

Quick Reply: Pikes Peak