Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

When does Rockies snow begin?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM
OldCoot
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When does Rockies snow begin?

I'm thinking about making a trip out west and back, and I wondered when the snow begins to fly in Colorado, Utah, Nevada and New Mexico mountains...
Thanks for your help.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:34 PM
chad_clearwater
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soon.

I believe Estes Park, CO, averages about 1.7 inches of snow in September.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, in some parts, I think it stops snowing around July 31st, and starts up again on August 1st.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:52 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Yep, I got caught in snow on my bike last year in mid August.

All depends on the height and road. What route are you thinking about? You can easliy travel in the Rockies in Spetmeber, but you just need time to adjust your plans in case you have to delay a day or two while on the road.

Need more specifics from you.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM
bdavis385
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually when the temperature falls below 32 degrees; the rally hard part is that happens at different elevations at various times.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

You can generally count on being able to travel the roads in Utah through the end of October, but it's certainly possible to encounter snow as early as September.

It's unusual to have accumulations of snow on the ground, even in the higher elevations, during the deer hunt, which is around the third week of October. The tourism industry always hopes to have enough snow to open ski resorts by Thanksgiving, and that seems to be about a 50/50 shot.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:44 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
You can generally count on being able to travel the roads in Utah through the end of October, but it's certainly possible to encounter snow as early as September.

It's unusual to have accumulations of snow on the ground, even in the higher elevations, during the deer hunt, which is around the third week of October. The tourism industry always hopes to have enough snow to open ski resorts by Thanksgiving, and that seems to be about a 50/50 shot.
Definetly not a Colorado forcast. They'll start closing mountain roads here in the next few weeks. Just plan ahead.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:50 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've encountered a complete white-out during a hiking trip in the bighorns in early August!

As Tom Lehrer sang in his boy scout song: "Be Prepared!"

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Yeah, in some parts, I think it stops snowing around July 31st, and starts up again on August 1st.
You didn't ask about Montana, but it can snow any day of the year here.

It's not a question of how far north in the Rockies; it;s a question of altitude plus terrain, e.g mountain ranges with broad valleys to their west will trap moisture and push it up suddenly a few thousand feet where it becomes snow.

So, it can snow in Montana at 8000' feet in July and still be dry in Colorado at 10,000'. And vice versa, depending on local terrain.

But, you can expect anything over 6000' to be at risk of snow in September on. It may not stick in September, but it will make roads and riding dicey.

(When I know I'm doing a lot of mountain riding, I always bring ski gloves and goggles, as well as a camp stove and some soup. A couple of times I have pulled over, had some soup and waited for the snow to blow through, and then continue in an hour. All part of the journey.)

Old 08-26-2009, 09:19 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I took a trip there in June, we got snowed on hard going over independence pass near aspen. I had to wipe the snow off my windshield so I could see. I was told by the locals that you can get snow any month of the year.
I can't wait to go back..

Quick Reply: When does Rockies snow begin?