Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Great smokey mtns. ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
I was just there in August. I DID stay in Gatlinburg, mostly because I own a timeshare and there's one right there in town that we stayed at. It was crowded, but some of the restraunts are great. My wife and Mother loved Bubba Gumps, and there's another Mexican place right across from the Harley shop that's really good as well. Tail of the dragon is a must, but you have to ride it on a weekday, when the traffice isn't too bad, BRPKWY is a good ride. There's A LOT of stuff to do in the area, we went whitewater rafting, gambling, riding, eating, drinking, did the Zorb, rode the sky-tram, went horseback riding etc...etc... If you go to my profile a lot of my pictures were from there. You can stop in at any of the tourist's centers, and they'll give you specific bike maps with great rides. There really isn't any "bad rides' in the area. klingman's dome is a must see, which is right in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. If you've got more questions, feel free to PM me and I'll answer whatever questions you might have.
Gotta agree 100% Jeff. Wife and I rode down during July, stayed at the Tudor Inn downtown. Gumps is great, sky tram is too. The ride back to Cades Cove was cool, just don't go back off the blacktop....lol.

My sis and her hubby Mike Hillman Ironthunder.com just moved to Raleigh so we're planning a ride down next summer, and a few days on the BRP. I want to retire to the area......

Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Still running
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of bikers stay at The Ridgetop in Bryson City. They are biker friendly and offer a discount if you are on a bike. I think we paid $45 a night this year.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:46 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

We paid $300 for the week (6 days, 7 nights)for a room with ice cold ac, breakfast every morning, and inside parking for my bike.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:30 PM
harleycats
Advanced

Check out the dragons tail web site lots and lots of info on rides,food,lodging
spent 10 days around there in july it is the best riding NO QUESTIONS ASKED

Old 11-14-2009, 06:55 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Bald River Falls near Tellico Plains is a great photo stop. The views from Clingman's Dome in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park are worth the hike -- IF you are in really good shape. Be sure to take advantage of the pull-outs all along the Blue Ridge and Cherohala Skyway. Take your time and enjoy the views!

Last edited by RoadHog659; 11-14-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:57 AM
roadking48
Cruiser

THANKS ALOT FOR INFO, I think we're gonna do the cabins around Cherookee but not sure , gotta get together with everybody to see what they want to do. You've given us alot to look at!!!! We don't camp, would like cheap rooms or a couple cabins we can split the costs on. Going for at least a week. I got alot of planning to do!!! THANKS AGAIN, Mark

Old 12-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
I was just there in August. ......, did the Zorb, ......

We did the Zorb in August too. What A riot!

A bunch of us from the Ninja group rents cabins every year, nice secluded spot on the river behind the campground on the left heading east out of Townsend on Little River Road. Smokey Mtn cabin rentals I believe is the outfit, office is in an old church on the north side of the highway right in Townsend. It's nice to cruise up 321 for nightlife in PF/Gatlinburg in the evening but be closer to the mtns when heading out in the morning. They have cabins of all sizes.

Last edited by Razorback; 12-03-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:20 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

The wife and I were planning a trip down that way via the BRP but that fizzled out....damnit anyway.

But my sister and her new hubby just moved to Raleigh NC and we are definitely riding down to visit when it warms up enough to be pleasant and while there going to make that trip on into Maggie Valley. Someday I want to retire to Tennessee. Lived there back in the 60's and wish I had never left.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:52 AM
PLHbrian
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stayed in Gatlinburg while touring the Smoky Mountains, Western NC and Eastern Tennesse. Great town with lots going on, plenty of Food and Drink options and even a cigar store opposite the hotel I stayed at.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:04 PM
HD66FLH
Advanced

Cherohala, Dragons Tail, Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway, Skyline Drive. Good luck and be careful on the Dragons tail. Would recommend calling ahead for reservations at Deals Gap (http://www.dealsgap.com/). Tell lies around the campfire at night with knee draggers is required to fully enjoy. Clean and cheap with no frills or distractions such as phones and television. Careful on Skyline Drive as it is much like riding though a senic petting zoo.

Quick Reply: Great smokey mtns. ???