Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning trip to Colorado next summer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 PM
gradyroos
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy, TT4ksu, and I did southern CO on the move, from KC last year. If you are starting out in Denver, Go West to glenwood springs, and come south Independance pass, It was fantastic, only down side was coming through Vail. Too many poeple. We went straight to Colorado Springs, and Did independance pass because Pikes Peak was too muddy.

We had a blast, and stayed someplace different every night.

If you are avoiding Denver, either coming or going, There is a nice short cut on state Hwy, and county roads from Oakley KS. Where 70 turns North, strait to Colorado Springs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...927368&t=h&z=8

The Million Dollar Hwy was amazing, Independance Pass was my favorite ride.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My suggestions

Originally Posted by clicker
To those that have traveled out around Colorado Springs what would be the most scenic route from the Springs to Durango.I see it is around 300 miles. I take it that there is a lot of scenic views to stop and take pictures. Anything else that you remember that we need to see. Where would be a good place to stay the night out near Durango?? Anybody got any special place to eat or get a cold one near Durango!!
I ride Colorado every summer in July. I stay in Breckenridge and do rides out of there. I like the Frisco / Dillon area and if we didn't have a place in Breckenridge I'd stay there.

check out this link for a suggested route Maps

I personally like the area west of Denver and South of I-70.
You have so many options that it's hard to pick one.
This past summer we stayed in Breckenridge and did one over night to Utah to see Arches National Park. Wouldn't to that again in July <grin>

I like riding the passes. Independence is my favorite, we ride from Breckenridge to Leadville then over it to Aspen for lunch then back the same way. But take a different route from Leadville to Breckenridge. Makes for a good day ride from Breckenridge. Just on I-70 West out of Frisco for about 15 miles then take the highway 91 south into Leadville, coming back you take hwy 14 north out of Leadville up to I-70 the east 30 miles back to Frisco. This way you get two more passes for a total of three in one day.

Then we rode from Breckenridge down to Gunnison and thru the Black Canyon of the Gunniess. Another good days ride.

Then we rode from Breckenridge down to Fairplay and thru South Park Basin over to Royal Gorge. Another good days ride.

Check out my site Photo Gallery click on Colorado for pictures.

Last edited by CruzN; 11-20-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Falcongunner
3rd Gear

To those that have traveled out around Colorado Springs what would be the most scenic route from the Springs to Durango.I see it is around 300 miles. I take it that there is a lot of scenic views to stop and take pictures. Anything else that you remember that we need to see. Where would be a good place to stay the night out near Durango?? Anybody got any special place to eat or get a cold one near Durango!!
I spend a lot of time in the summer riding around the Southern half of Colorado and Utah while staying at my off grid cabin in Crestone Colorado. The roads are great but sometimes a bit crowded in the tourist season.
From Colorado Springs there are a couple of way to get to Durango. My suggestion:

Take US 24 from Colorado Springs and drive over 3 9,000 ft + passes on the way to US 285 down to Poncha Springs and US 50. Stop in Salida (5 mile side trip) and eat and drink hand crafted beer at Amica’s and good home cooked food at the First Street Café.

From Salida head West on US 50 over 12,000 ft Monarch Pass. Stop at the top and take a photo of your bike with one wheel in the Atlantic drainage and one wheel in the Pacific drainage (Continental Divide).

Continue on US 50 West to Gunnison and Montrose. If you have time drive through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. From Montrose take US 550 to Durango going Ridgeway, Ouray and Silverton. In Ridgeway stop at the True Grit Café. In Ouray and Silverton there are many places to eat/drink beer but none really stand out in my opinion.

Be very careful on US 550 as it is very beautiful, mesmerizing, and unforgiving of mistakes. Virtually no shoulder and then 1000 ft drops. Whatever time you calculate by distance double or triple it going from Montrose to Durango.
In Durango stop at the Steamworks Brewing Co and Serious Texas Barbeque. No lack of motels and there is a nice historic hotel near the Steamworks. Head East on US 160 and stop by Mesa Verde National Park if you have time. The park road is a nice ride (even with the traffic). Continue East on US 160 through Pagosa Springs (have a hot springs soak if you stay over night) and up and over 10,000 ft Wolf Creek Pass. Head on East on 160 through South Fork to Del Norte. Make a decision on one of two routes back to Colorado Springs. To on go back through Salida the way you came or continue on US 50 along the Arkansas River take US 285 from Del Norte and head on up to Salida over Poncha Pass. To take a route over to I 25 from Del Norte continue on US 160 through Alamosa.

While in Alamosa stop at the San Luis Valley Brew Pub. Plenty of places to stay in Alamosa. Continue East on US 160 (visit the Great Sand Dunes National Park if you have time) and over 9,000 ft La Veta pass on to Walsenburg and I 25 then run North to Colorado Springs.Obviously you can run this route in reverse or make a few detours. Great bike roads with a mix of speed and twisties.

And if you decide to stop in the little town of Crestone (north of Alamosa off CO 17) stop in the Silver Crest Palace for a cold one.. The owner is a biker and the place is bike friendly.

No shortage of places to stay along these routes but check in early due to the tourist season or make reservations. If you come through Crestone give me a heads up as I should be there.

Wayne in North Texas

Old 11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
clicker
Advanced

Thank for all the suggestions-some great ideas on where to eat-drink-ride.!!!THANKS for all the feedback!!!

Old 11-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Clicker: I think you'd be better off, enjoy your ride more and see more country if you trailered to Colorado Springs, left it there and rode for the next several days through Colorado. There are more and more biker groups riding in Colorado and and many hotels go out of their way to make you feel special. We've never had any problems at any of our stops; they love your business just as much as if you drove a car. I've lived in Colorado all my life, driven just about all of it several times and more recently have been riding my RK over many of the same roads...but its like I'm seeing the country from a different point when on the bike.

Here are a few favorite, and suggested routes:

Day 1: Colorado Springs - west on Hwy 24 to South Park - Buena Vista - Salida - Gunnison (Road Way Inn - nice people, love bikers) - Head to Crested Butte (app. 20 miles north) for dinner.

Day 2: Gunnison - Lake City - Creede (a favorite ride!) - South Fork - Pagosa Springs (stay near the hot springs!).

Day 3: Pagosa Springs - Durango - Silverton - Ouray - Montrose (nice Holiday Inn there!).

Day 4: Montrose - Hwy 50 est 10 miles to Black Canyon National Park - don't miss this!) - east to Blue Mesa Dam road - north on North Rim Black Canyon to Hotchkiss - Paonia - Glenwood Springs (stay at Hotel Colorado [Pres. T. Roosevelt's favorite place to stay in Colorado] again, near the hot springs pool [absolutely HUGE pool]).

Day 5: Glenwood Springs - Aspen - Independance Pass - Leadville - Dillon - Loveland Pass (almost as nice as Independance) - Berthoud Pass - Winter Park.

Day 6: Winter Park - Grand Lake - Trail Ridge Road - Estes Park - Denver - Colorado Springs.

Each of these rides takes into account that many of your group will want to spend a bit of time in these towns...you can not drive through them without taking in the flavor!!

I'd start looking for reservations ASAP after January 1st. Not that they'll be booked (except for Durango where they fill up fast!), but that you'll want to shop for best prices. Hotel costs are across the board: the Roadway in Gunnison was about $60/nite while Durango was $120/nite.

I hope this helps with your plans. PM me if you need additional help.

Ride safe.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:42 AM
NHSPMCU
Cruiser
Wink Couldn't agree more!

Originally Posted by jeffbarb17
To much great riding in that area to do day rides and return to base...

IMO you are best to do the circle.......come in towards Estee Park and RMN park then head towards Leadville, do Independance pass , head south towards Gunnison then do 550 from Montrose to Durango. Then head west thru Cortez and do the Grand Canyon and stay around Williams.....head north towards Vegas and then east thru Zion, Bryce Canyon and up thru Escalante into Torrey. Over to Moab and any extra time you have ride more in Colorado.....it is the best State mile for mile for bikes IMO.

If you need more roads in Colorado just say so.....
Some spectacular scenery. If you go you won't forget it. (Hope your not afraid of heights, RMNP-Breathtaking! ) And if you don't have a GPS---get one!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:58 PM
toe_hold
Intermediate

Falconrunner & Whisker both have good info. I also would recommend not stay in CO Springs but moving on into the mountains. Why waste the time coming back? There's a lot of great places to see here. Coming back each day just burns up a good chunk of your time.

But that said... About the only time I know of in the summer that rooms might be tight would be when the new cadets check into the Air Force Academy (first of July?). Lots of parent show up also as you might guess. I'd still be surprised if there was a real shortage of rooms though.

TH

Old 12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Artur
Cruiser

I found a place 2 yrs ago in Poncha Springs, Colorado that I used as a home base, Stayed there 9 days, Don't get the "Room with 1 Double Bed " just to small for 2 people. The Room with 1 Queen Bed worked real good for the wife and I.

http://www.ponchalodge.com/index.htm

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...1,7.064209&z=7

theres a very nice Italian restaurant just down the road, and Salida is only 5 mi. away

Round trips we made while staying there...

Black Canyon in Gunnison Nat. Forest,Royal Gorge Bridge,Went Rafting, Independence Pass, and other mountain tops, Skyway Drive in Cannon City, Leadville,Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, New Mexico, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Aspen, and a bunch of small trips,

We stayed near Estes Park this year which was fun but we had move to much and to crowed, it was much better having a home base to go from.

Last edited by Artur; 12-06-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 754 Likes on 478 Posts

hay clicker i went to colorado back in october. MAN its a big state. i was doing 200-400 mile days to get my riding in. stayed in canyon city for two days. ( FAIRMONT INN.) REAL NICE people and biker friendly. (maintenance guy rode a shovel) then it was on to montrose, co. for 5 days. heres a few pictures too show you what beauty your in for. have a great time i did.

Attached Thumbnails Planning trip to Colorado next summer-dsc_0118.jpg   Planning trip to Colorado next summer-dsc_0139.jpg   Planning trip to Colorado next summer-dsc_0102.jpg   Planning trip to Colorado next summer-dsc_0145.jpg   Planning trip to Colorado next summer-dsc_0140.jpg  

Quick Reply: Planning trip to Colorado next summer