Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning trip to Colorado next summer

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM
clicker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like having a home base is not the thing to do. Too much too see. Thanks to all who have responded I think now all we have to do is choose what beautiful roads to ride. Sure thankful for all the good advice on motels and eating/drinking establishments. We can use all the help we can get. Again many THANKS!!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
NSBRK
Intermediate
Default Trip in Summer 2009

What's the earliest date that would be recommended for a week long summer trip?

My wife and I need to use some frequent flyer miles and would like to do a fly/ride in Colorado.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Durkdigler13
Novice

in chicago now. lived in CO for a few years... have some great rides and ideas... PM me if you want

Old 12-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by NSBRK
What's the earliest date that would be recommended for a week long summer trip?

My wife and I need to use some frequent flyer miles and would like to do a fly/ride in Colorado.
Weatherwise, the best time is between June 15th and September 15th. I prefer the couple weeks after Labor Day to avoid the crowds. Towns like Estes Park, Aspen, Durango, Pagosa Springs will be very crowded. Smaller towns like Dolores, Hotchkiss, Gunnison won't be as much. As soon as the families with kids are back home in school the cars on the road seem to drop off by 50% or more.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by clicker
Looks like having a home base is not the thing to do. Too much too see.
Clicker...you're right about not staying in one place. The routes I gave in an earlier post were intended to take you back to a different town each night. Its a route my wife and I rode this summer....lots of different country to see and different places to visit. I know you'll be happy if you take a similar trip.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

Here are five pictures from one of our trips through southern Colorado this summer. Honestly, the problem with Colorado is that there are too many things to see on one trip and probably the best advice I can give is to pick one part of the state (either northern or southern) and plan your trip around it. You can always come back another time.

Lizard Head Pass-

Great Sand Dunes National Park-

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park-

Mesa Verde National Park-

Taos Pueblo (Northern New Mexico)-

Old 12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Grousehunter
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I am looking at a very similar ride for next year. A quick question re the north rim -- I am looking at a one day ride of Page, AZ to the N Rim and then to Kanab, UT. A distance of 211 miles. Mapsource (which is usually pretty good) shows no gas stations anywhere along this route. Sure can't go 211 without one! Can anyone comment on the availability of fuel along this route? TIA

Old 12-10-2009, 06:08 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by clicker
Looks like having a home base is not the thing to do. Too much too see. Thanks to all who have responded I think now all we have to do is choose what beautiful roads to ride. Sure thankful for all the good advice on motels and eating/drinking establishments. We can use all the help we can get. Again many THANKS!!!!
Sometimes less is more. Leaning toward sticking with the base/day trip thing ourselves in Sept.. Haven't mapped out the loop mileage but I think 3 bases from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins should give us more than enough mountain riding. 3 hotels vs 6 sounds better to me.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 12-10-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM
hiwaytime
Advanced

You are getting some good advice so far but listen. If you are going to ride CO stay out of Denver and Csprings. Get up in the mountains and tour. CO is incredible riding. Any pass over 10.000 ft is worth riding. The parks from Rocky Mountain to Mesa Verda are excellent. Keep moving and see as much as you can. Take your worst weather gear. I have rode through Leadville on July 4th on two inches of snow twice. You are going to get wet but the Rocky Mountains are the most beutiful during a storm and you won't regreat any of it. There are motels,cabins, campgrounds, bars and resturants everywhere and they are ALL MC friendly. The only thing you will get tired of is having to wave at all the Motorcycles. You don't see a many MC trailers in the Rockys. The roads are good but the passes are steep with a lot of curves. None of the Rocky Mountain states have helmet laws. Enjoy your ride, Happy Trails.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:57 AM
clicker
Advanced

It sure is great getting all this vital info. Will make the trip planning so much easier. I am sure we will see lots of beautiful scenery. Will have to take lots of pictures. Again thanks for all the information!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Planning trip to Colorado next summer