Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need Iowa Roadtrips

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 AM
BTIGGES
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Iowa Roadtrips

So i have been sitting around my CHU (containerized housing unit) here and dreaming of the days when i can finally go home and ride... my home is in Des Moines iowa and i am looking for some good 1-4 day rides that we can take when i get home... yes i understand that a ride to the coast or through the mountains is prolly my best bet but i am looking for some local midwest rides for now....
i would appreciate any help...
Thanks

Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 AM
BTIGGES
Novice

im not sure if you saw that abbreviation at the end of the thread...ect... means additional items included... maybe even advice from people who might have ridden in my area... look at the other post... lots of people asking questions rather than telling stories... this is supposed to be an area for people to talk and get questions answered and share experiences, ETC. so that is why i posted my question here...

Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

i think 30 from Des Moines,through Marshalltown and ending up in the Quad Cities is a very nice ride...in the spring

last time i rode in Ia. in the winter(Feb.) i laid her down

Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 AM
BTIGGES
Novice

Originally Posted by notfried
i think 30 from Des Moines,through Marshalltown and ending up in the Quad Cities is a very nice ride...in the spring

last time i rode in Ia. in the winter(Feb.) i laid her down

ya i was thinking that the eastern border would be what im looking for... your not the first person to suggest the Quad Cities... i think i might have to follow up on the advice and head up that way....

Thank you

Old 01-12-2010, 07:58 AM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A must ride is the upper Missisippi from Clinton north. Sannanah Il has Poopy's and The Iron Horse Social Club. Poopie has food, live music, and free camping while the Horse has live music and Jerry the owner has made the place into a museum of old motorcycling memoriblia. Both sides of the river are cool, kILLER FOOD Brietbachs in Balltown, an awesome view at Pikes Peak State Park, and cold beer everywhere.
New Diggings Wi. has two bars that are packed by scooter people and the General Store has bands on Sundays.
The ride north of Lansing on both sides of the river is senic, be sure to stop at the Road House north of the Lansing bridge for Pizza and a cold one, the pie is #1. The ride north through Lacrosse and north to the St Criox river is a very nice ride also.
A good day ride would be down to Keosauqua and the Bridges of Van Buren , just watch out for horse sh#t on the roads from the Amish.
The Loess hills of western Iowa has some nice riding , but not as commericalized as the east coast of the state.
Also northern Missouri has some very nice paved back roads with a surprising amount of twistys in the hills.
When you get back to GODS COUNTRY drop me a line
WUZFUZ
Almost forgot, J&P CYCLES and The National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa , they have an open house in June that draws in a ****-load of bikes (10,000 + in one day), neat to go just to go and people watch.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BTIGGES
ya i was thinking that the eastern border would be what im looking for... your not the first person to suggest the Quad Cities... i think i might have to follow up on the advice and head up that way....

Thank you
yeah,after ya get to the QCA the run up 61 through Dabuque (sp) all the way to Galina Wi...very nice ride...btw i grew up in Ia...born and raised in Clive

Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh Yeah, if Nudity, Ludity,and general Depravity are up your alley theres always the Conesville Rallies in May and Labor Day. Run what 'ya brung drags, body painted women and nude women that need their bodies painted, in other words just good old un-wholesome entertainment. What more could you ask for?
WUZFUZ

Old 01-12-2010, 08:21 AM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

"little sturgis" in Davenport is always a great time,as well

Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 AM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the Iowa back roads/highways. Wife and I often take rides where we find ourselves the only ones around for miles. Only been riding a year, but I'll try and map our favorites so far. These probably aren't as long as you're looking for, though.

Saylorville Loop (end at Fatboyz Saloon in Grimes)
http://www.bing.com/maps/#JmNwPTQxLj...9wPTB+MH4wfg==

Ames via Saylorville (end at Welch Ave. Station/Pizza Pit for some Inferno Wings; Great Plains pizza in downtown Ames with Denver crust is also awesome)
http://www.bing.com/maps/#JmNwPTQxLj...9wPTB+MH4wfg==

Madison County Loop (check out the covered bridges from the Bridges of Madison County book/movie; can also take highway 92 instead of Cumming Road (aka G4R)) - Wife and I thought about buying a lot in Timber Ridge Estates on Cumming Road (aka G4R)
http://www.bing.com/maps/#JmNwPTQxLj...nRvcD0wfjB+MH4=

Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Greybeard48
Cruiser

Echo what WUZFUZ said about heading up to Pikes Peak State Park, Minnesota side of the Mississippi, over to La Crosse and back down the east side of the river back to Dubuque. I've ridden this several times from about 100 miles north of La Crosse and it's always a good ride.

Quick Reply: Need Iowa Roadtrips